About American University
About American University
American University (AU) is an accredited, private, not-for-profit university. Located in Washington, DC, American University was chartered by Congress in 1893 and founded by John Fletcher Hurst, a respected Methodist Bishop. A few years later, in 1902, the McKinley Building cornerstone was laid by President Theodore Roosevelt. It took until 1914 for the first twenty -eight students to be admitted. Four of them were female. While things have changed, many presidents and world leaders have continued to leave their footsteps.
American University Then and Now: American University Online
AU was, and remains, committed to fostering a ‘global outlook, practical idealism and a passion for public service’. Through American University Online, programs are offered that fit the schedules of today’s busy graduate students, anywhere in the world. Look for online Master’s degrees and certificate programs in many fields. These span economics, nutrition, sports management and more.
Mission, Vision and Values
American University is devoted to turning “ideas into action and action into service.” Its mission is to highlight arts and sciences programs, linking program content to modern issues and public affairs. At AU, central values include inter-disciplinary inquiry, diversity, interactive teaching, research and experiential learning.
Graduate Admission Requirements
The Graduate Admissions process at AU for both campus and online programs is handled by the individual schools. Future students select their program from their school of choice. From there, they can fill out an online application. Each program may have their own requisites. See below for an example.
Admission At-A-Glance: Online MA Economics
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Calculus 1 or CLEP exam
- GRE test scores
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- TOEFL score of 600 (International students)
- Phone interview, statement of purpose, 2 letters of recommendation, resume
Need some help? AU regularly offers Virtual Open Houses and Industry Webinars for online graduate programs. These provide useful information about admission requirements and other topics.
Start dates usually match with school semesters. Check academic calendars for details.
Enrollment, Attendance, Graduation
Based on Fall 2015 data, over 13,000 students were enrolled at AU. Of these, more than 5,200 were graduate students. Other statistics related to 2015 graduate enrollment are as follows.
- 45% part-time and 55% full-time i
- 10% online only, 4% some online, 86% not enrolled in distance education i
- 1,600 Master’s degrees, and over 525 Doctorate degrees awarded i
- Special Learning Opportunities: Undergrad Distance, Grad Distance
- Credit Accepted: Dual credit, Advanced placement(AP) credits
- Carnegie Classification: Research Universities (high research activity)
- Religious Affiliation: United Methodist
In Fall 2015 American University had 800 full-time and over 600 part-time instructional, research and public service faculty members.i In addition, there were more than 700 part-time graduate assistants. In the 2011-12 school year, 94% of faculty held the highest degree in their field. In addition, many AU programs feature adjunct faculty, alumni, guest speakers, industry leaders and politicians.
- Student-faculty ratio: 12:1
- Average graduate class size: 17 students
- ROTC Services
- Study Abroad Services
- Weekend Evening College Services
- Remedial Services
- Academic Career Counseling Services
- Employment Services for Students
- Daycare Services
- Library Services
Enrollment, Attendance, Retention Rates and Graduation
Graduate attendance rate of 44% part-time and 56% full-time
For the years 2017-2018 American University awarded: 1734 bachelor's degrees, 1575 master's degrees, 370 doctor's degrees - professional practice, 73 doctor's degrees - research/scholarship
Graduate students enrolled at least half time in an online Master’s program may be eligible for federal loans. To apply, students must submit a FAFSA. However, graduate students enrolled in online programs are ineligible for federal work study.
AU Graduate Scholarships: American University may offer graduate scholarships to qualified students. The deadline for most scholarship applications is February 1. These are administered by the academic departments.
- The school is full of many supportive people who genuinely care for each other. You just really need to join something that interests you and then you'll be able to find some great friends. People seem very chill for it being considered a top university. Definitely a calmer atmosphere compared to schools like Stanford and Berkeley.
- The university provides the best of both academics opportunities as well as extracurricular activities in order to help their students explore and/or grow their skills on a specific or variety of fields. Their goal is to get their students involved in what they love in order to grow and expand the students knowledge.
- Overall, I love being a student at USC. On campus, I am a research assistant, a newspaper writer, and a dancer on the competitive hip-hop team. I've met a wide variety of students at USC, some who astound me with their intelligence and hobbies. I love talking to my professors during their office hours. The downsides to being a USC student is that a lot of things are inordinately expensive, the tuition keeps rising (unnecessarily), and the area around it is not super nice.
- American University: Online
- American University: Washington, DC4400 Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington, DC, 20016