Sacred Heart University
About Sacred Heart University
Sacred Heart University Online is the online division of the independent, Catholic institution, Sacred Heart University. Founded in 1963, SHU is the second-largest Catholic university in New England and offers over 70 academic programs, including undergraduate, graduate, doctoral, and certificate programs.
Sacred Heart’s goal is to foster academic opportunities for students of potential, ability, and promise – whether that’s on campus, in Fairfield, Connecticut, or online.
Why Consider Sacred Heart University Online?
Sacred Heart University offers fully online degree programs, as well as online courses that may allow you to add flexibility to your studies where it counts. SHU Online is home to master’s, doctoral, and certificate programs in areas like nursing, marketing, social work, and speech-language pathology. In fact, U.S. News and World Report named Sacred Heart’s online offerings for its nursing program and bachelor’s program among the best in the country.
Online Graduate Degree Programs at Sacred Heart University
Pursue the next stage of your professional journey while potentially remaining in the workforce. Sacred Heart University graduate programs that may be pursued online include the Master of Science in Nursing (MSN), Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP), Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP), Master of Social Work, Master of Science in Applied Psychology (MSAP), and others.
User-Friendly Online Course Delivery
Sacred Heart University’s online courses are delivered through Blackboard, a web-based system with simple point and click access to all your course content. 24/7 access lets you pursue coursework at the time that suits your busy schedule – potentially perfect for military service members, international students, and working professionals.
Distinguished Faculty for Online Programs
Learning from the experts makes a difference. At Sacred Heart University Online, more than 80 percent of full-time faculty members hold the highest degrees in their fields.
Sacred Heart University ESL Programs
Sacred Heart University offers on-campus and online ESL programs for students, adult learners, and professionals hoping to boost their English language skills. Programs focus on reading, writing, grammar, pronunciation, public speaking, and other skill areas. The four-level English language certificate program can be pursued online, from anywhere in the world.
Programs for Service Members and Veterans
Sacred Heart University is a participant in the Yellow Ribbon program, which may offer tuition benefits to eligible service members and veterans. SHU is also approved for the Montgomery and Post 9/11 GI Bills. Online learning at SHU may offer military service members and their families the convenience and flexibility of earning a degree from an accredited school that accommodates military lifestyles and deployments.
Sacred Heart University’s Online Education Partnerships
Sacred Heart partners with businesses and organizations to help employees prepare for new career challenges through online education. Employees of participating partners may be eligible for potential benefits such as a discount on tuition and a waived application fee. And, Sacred Heart’s participating programs feature online coursework and local field practicums, so students don’t need to take time off from work to pursue their studies.
Join an Online Community
Sacred Heart offers real-time Virtual Open Houses designed to help prospective students get a better understanding of how online learning works. Join an Open House to ask questions of deans, faculty members, and current students.
Mission, Vision, and Values
Sacred Heart University is rooted in the liberal arts and Catholic intellectual traditions. Their mission is to educate the whole person while preparing students to lead and serve others, respect the dignity of every person, and promote the common good. SHU welcomes students from all faiths and cultures.
Prospective students can apply to Sacred Heart University online. Each program has different admissions requirements. Check with your program of interest for information about GPA, standardized test scores, and other criteria or required application materials.
- International Students: In addition to standard application requirements, international students must submit additional materials, including a course-by-course evaluation from an acceptable transcript evaluation services agency; TOEFL, IELTS, or MELAB scores; and GRE scores. International students on an F-1 student visa are not permitted to enroll in online programs.
- Prospective Nursing Students: Sacred Heart University online nursing graduate programs generally require a current, unencumbered RN license, among other requirements for applicants.
- State Authorizations: Sacred Heart University is authorized to operate in all states that participate in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA). If considering applying to an online program, check to make sure SHU is authorized to offer distance education (online) programs in your state.
- Special Learning Opportunities: Undergrad Distance, Grad Distance
- Credit Accepted: Dual credit, Credit for life experiences, Credit For Military, Advanced placement(AP) credits
- Carnegie Classification: Master's Colleges and Universities (larger programs)
- Religious Affiliation: Roman Catholic
- There are 871 full-time faculty
- 716 Part-time instructional faculty
- ROTC Services
- Study Abroad Services
- Weekend Evening College Services
- Academic Career Counseling Services
- Employment Services for Students
- Placement Services Completers
- Library Services
Enrollment, Attendance, Retention Rates and Graduation
Graduate attendance rate of 63% part-time and 37% full-time
For the years 2017-2018 Sacred Heart University awarded: 2 associates, 1134 bachelor's degrees, 1112 master's degrees, 66 post-master's certificates, 78 doctor's degrees - professional practice
Students enrolled in SHU Online degree programs at Sacred Heart University may be eligible to apply for federal financial aid, such as Unsubsidized Federal Stafford loans, Subsidized Federal Stafford loans, Federal PLUS (Parent) loans and Federal Pell Grants.
Sacred Heart University has been granted institutional accreditation by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC). Some of Sacred Heart University’s colleges and programs hold additional accreditation:
- Jack Welch College of Business is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB-International).
- Education program for Teacher Certification at the elementary and secondary levels is approved by the Connecticut State Department of Education.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing, the Master of Science in Nursing and the Doctor of Nursing Practice programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- Doctor of Physical Therapy program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE).
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education.
- Bachelor of Science in Athletic Training is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education.
- Bachelor of Arts or Science in Social Work program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
- English Language Institute is accredited with CEA, Commission on English Language Program Accreditation and with AAIEP, American Association for Intensive English Language Programs.
- The school is full of many supportive people who genuinely care for each other. You just really need to join something that interests you and then you'll be able to find some great friends. People seem very chill for it being considered a top university. Definitely a calmer atmosphere compared to schools like Stanford and Berkeley.
- The university provides the best of both academics opportunities as well as extracurricular activities in order to help their students explore and/or grow their skills on a specific or variety of fields. Their goal is to get their students involved in what they love in order to grow and expand the students knowledge.
- Overall, I love being a student at USC. On campus, I am a research assistant, a newspaper writer, and a dancer on the competitive hip-hop team. I've met a wide variety of students at USC, some who astound me with their intelligence and hobbies. I love talking to my professors during their office hours. The downsides to being a USC student is that a lot of things are inordinately expensive, the tuition keeps rising (unnecessarily), and the area around it is not super nice.
- Sacred Heart University: Online
- Sacred Heart University: Fairfield, CTOffice of Graduate Admissions, 5151 Park Ave , Fairfield, CT, 06825
- Sacred Heart University: Stamford, CT3 Landmark Square, Stamford, CT, 06901
Sacred Heart University Online Academics and Degree Programs
Sacred Heart University is committed to providing an affordable, quality education both on campus and online. Students preparing for new personal and professional goals may pursue online graduate degrees in nursing, psychology, and social work. SHU Online also offers certificate programs.
SHU Program Highlights: ONLINE NURSING PROGRAMS
Earn your online nursing degree from a CCNE Accredited Nursing School. Each Sacred Heart University online nursing program is designed to help working nurses build on their knowledge and experience. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) program focuses on clinical, managerial, and educational skill areas, while the Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program may cover advanced practice, leadership, research, and more.
Earn your graduate nursing degree at SHU Online and potentially enjoy these 3 perks:
- Targeted Specializations: The MSN program offers career-focused specializations in Clinical Nurse Leader, Nursing Management & Executive Leadership, Nursing Education, and Family Nurse Practitioner.
- Studies That Fit Your Schedule: Study part-time or full-time to reach your goals. The online DNP program may be earned part-time in three years, potentially perfect for working nurses.
- Programs for Unique Goals: Find a program that’s perfect for your schedule, ambitions, and where you’re at in your career. For example, the RN-MSN program combines the Bachelor of Nursing and Master of Nursing studies, potentially helping RNs without a bachelor’s degree get started on the path to earning a master’s.
Choose a Program at Sacred Heart University Online
Browse the directory of SHU Online graduate programs, below. See a program that looks perfect for you? Click to learn more about what Sacred Heart University has to offer.