Sacred Heart University
College of Health Professions
Master of Public Health (MPH)
Master of Public Health (MPH)
The Sacred Heart University Master of Public Health program prepares individuals to protect and improve the health of individuals and communities. As such, students will be required to critically examine how biological, behavioral, social, and environmental factors influence health. Students will learn how to address these factors through the creation and evaluation of programs and policies designed to improve the health of individuals and communities. Students’ education will be grounded in a social justice philosophy, which calls for improving the health of the population while ensuring fair treatment of the disadvantaged.
Why SHU’s MPH Program?
- Join a university rich in the tradition of service to one’s community
- Learn alongside experienced public health practitioners and researchers in a variety of settings via engages learning opportunities.
- New classroom facilities in our state of the art Center for Health Care Education building
- Interprofessional educational experiences with students in other SHU programs (e.g., Nursing, Social Work, Public Administration, Exercise Science and Nutrition)
- Faculty with close ties to local and State public health leaders and agencies
- Faculty involvement in national public health organizations
- Faculty with strong records of public health scholarship
- Student-centered learning environment
- Small class size
- Graduate assistant opportunities
- Optimal location: Coastal, Southeastern Connecticut within minutes of hiking, beaches, and more!
- Earn Your Master of Public Health
Earn a Master of Public Health degree with a focus on Community Health. Students can attend full-time (i.e., 2 academic years) or part-time to complete the 48-credit program.
Students who complete the MPH program will be able to:
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge in public health’s mission and core functions, epidemiology, biostatistics, social ecological determinants of health, health promotion, public health administration, research methods, health systems and health policy
- Develop a deeper understanding of public health theories, public health program planning and evaluation, community health development, and grant writing
- Develop a deeper understanding of health administration, and leadership and ethics in public health
- Appropriately implement public health programs and policies to support and promote population health and wellness
- Lead and manage in a variety of settings, such as worksites, health care, faith-based settings, and more
- Contribute to research activities in public health settings
Sacred Heart University has been granted institutional accreditation by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE), one of six regional associations in the United States that accredit schools and colleges. Additionally, Sacred Heart University’s Jack Welch College of Business is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB-International).
Facts & Figures
# of Credits Required:
Master's College or University I
Size & Settings: