Literary Studies Ph.D., Rhetoric & Theory Ph.D., Creative Writing Ph.D., Literary Studies M.A.
The University of Denver's department of English is small and intimate, with 22 faculty members, who all publish widely and seek to translate their learning into shared experiences by working closely with students in and out of the classroom. The department of English offers a Ph.D. in English with concentrations in creative writing, literary studies and rhetoric and theory, as well as an M.A. with concentrations in literary studies.
Students in our program have the flexibility to tailor their degree to specific talents and interests. Our distinctive curriculum offers not only typical graduate seminars, but also individually designed tutorials, as well as opportunities for professional development. You'll be encouraged to cross genre boundaries, relate theory to practice, and work creatively on scholarly projects.
Major areas for M.A. thesis and Ph.D. dissertation research include:
- American literature
- American multicultural literature and Anglophone literatures
- Cultural and gender studies
- Genre studies
- Literary theory and rhetoric
- Modern and contemporary British literature
- Creative writing
We also offer course work in traditional literary fields, cultural studies, ethnic literatures and gender studies.
No passive learning here. Our graduate program is a lively, professional community that doesn't adhere to traditional education boundaries. You'll have the opportunity to:
- Teach a variety of courses in literature and writing (as a graduate teaching assistant (GTA) and teacher of record)
- Serve on committees
- Participate in departmental searches
- Organize your own reading series
- Attend professional conferences
- Publish your work
At the University of Denver, we pride ourselves on providing you with world-class, individualized instruction in a beautiful setting.