University of Denver
Division of Social Science
2199 S University Blvd
Denver, CO 80208
Anthropology M.A.with concentrations in Archaeology, Cultural Anthropology or Museum & Heritage Studies)
Welcome to our anthropology graduate program! Here at DU, not only will you learn the theories and techniques of your field, but also the life-long skills to effectively conceptualize, prepare and execute projects for any career. With us, you'll explore and analyze human differences in the context of the material (political and economic) conditions of life.
In your studies, you'll build supportive partnerships with esteemed faculty, enjoy small classes and conduct individualized graduate research in your own work spaces. Your internship in the Denver community will create invaluable professional connections. You'll also be enriched by access to and engagement with our very own gallery with a wealth of archaeological and ethnographic collections.
You will learn...
- What it means to participate in publicly engaged anthropology.
- How to apply theoretical knowledge to real-life experiences.
- How to negotiate different stakeholder obligations ethically.
- How to manage community-engaged projects alongside faculty & staff.
- The value of public discourse.
- How to create positive and sustainable community relationships.
What makes us different?
- Commitment: to an engaged, public anthropology
- Tradition: one of the oldest anthropology programs west of the Mississippi River
- Intimacy: small class sizes and hands-on learning
- Attentiveness: one-on-one mentoring and thoughtful student advising
- Opportunity: direct access to research material in our own Museum of Anthropology and active faculty field projects
- Networking: relationships with Denver's world-class museums and other cultural institutions
We offer master's degrees in anthropology with emphases in archaeology, cultural anthropology, and museum and heritage studies. These foci are united by an overarching commitment to engaged, public anthropology. Students are encouraged to integrate their studies drawing from the different subfields if desired.
- Training that integrates the academic and applied aspects of archaeology with an emphasis on lab and field-based experiential learning.
- Faculty expertise in historical archaeology, geophysical archaeology, and the archaeology of landscapes including computer methods for archaeological mapping and analysis.
- Preparation for a PhD program in anthropology and a career in cultural resource management.
- Emphasizes action anthropology, gender studies, ethnohistory, ethnographic methods and environmental anthropology, folklore, expressive culture, and international cultural development.
- A unique forum for applying anthropological theories and methods to pressing global issues of economic development and human rights.
- Complemented by faculty working in the University’s Josef Korbel School of International Studies.
Museum and Heritage Studies
- Provides a solid background in the anthropology of and in museums with an understanding of the theoretical and academic as well as the practical and professional aspects of museum anthropology and heritage studies.
- Generalist and specialist training is available if you are interested in working in different sizes and types of museums, cultural institutions, and archaeological and heritage sites.
- Relationships with a number of city museums including the Denver Art Museum and the Denver Museum of Nature and Science allow internships and other extracurricular opportunities for learning.
Choosing the University of Denver allows you to begin your graduate program of study with an advantage. As you contemplate your future contributions to society, a DU degree will give you a valuable edge.
Accreditation:The University of Denver is accredited as a doctoral degree-granting institution by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Facts & Figures
Classification: Doctoral/Research University—Extensive
Locale: Large City
Size & Settings: 10,000-19,999