The Professional Science Master's Program in Biomedical Sciences and Biotechnology (BSBT) is an interdisciplinary, dual campus STEM program that prepares students for careers in research, industry and business and can also serve as stepping-stone for further graduate or professional training. The Program provides broad training in the biomedical sciences as well as introductions to regulations, intellectual property, entrepreneurship, i.e. disciplines that add knowledge and competitiveness for entering the biotechnology workforce.
Our students come from many different backgrounds with a variety of goals. Many students value the opportunity to join a program that allows them to deepen their knowledge in a specific area of interest or to aim for a broader education if they are still deciding on their future goals. The program leadership supports each cohort as a community of learners for mutual support and enrichment by meeting with students each semester individually as a group to track their progress and to discuss their career goals.
Each BSBT student must complete an internship consisting of at least 10 onsite hours per week for one semester. Internships can be pursued in biotech companies, non-profit or government organizations, or in an academic laboratory. Substituting for a Master’s thesis, interns write an extensive repot and will discuss their projects and experiences with a faculty committee and fellow students.
- Full-time or Part-time
- Interdisciplinary dual campus Graduate Program
- Internships in biotech companies, non-profit or government organizations, or in academic laboratories
- Highly accomplished training faculty
- Rigorous, yet flexible, curriculum
Training Foci: The main focus of the Biomedical Sciences Master’s Program is to provide its students with strong training in a spectrum of biomedical sciences as well as the translation of research results into marketable products and procedures. To this end, our curriculum does not only include courses that should help student to build a strong science foundation in the biomedical sciences, but they will also learn about the business of biotechnology and the related regulations. All students have to enroll in an internship where they are expected to apply their knowledge and training. Internships can be conducted in basic, clinical or industrial research laboratories, in the business or communication section of a company or many other potential employment sectors in the arena of biomedical sciences and biotechnology.
Financial Support: Full time students (5 credits or more per semester) are eligible for financial aid.
The BSBT program is a WRGP offering in-state tuition for residents of WICHE’s 15 member states, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and Guam.
Application Deadlines: Domestic Applications MAY 15 (FALL) OR SEPTEMBER 1 (SPRING), International applications JANUARY 2 (FALL) OR APRIL 1 (SPRING)
Career paths of graduates: The Biomedical Sciences and Biotechnology Master’s Program graduated its first students in 2017.
The BSBT Program provides graduates with career options inside and outside academia. So far, graduates of our program have obtained employment as professional research assistants in academic and industrial laboratories or moved on to PhD Programs or Medical School.
Why CU Denver|Anschutz? The BSBT Program is a dual campus program where students will enroll in courses on both, the Denver and the Anschutz Campus. On the Denver Campus, classrooms are surrounded by vibrant city life which allows easy engagement with the downtown business and art world. The Anschutz Medical Campus is the largest academic health center in the Rocky Mountain region. With six graduate and health professional schools, multiple hospitals, clinical centers and institutes, CU Anschutz is engaged in clinical care, research, education, and service. CU Denver|Anschutz Medical Campus is among the top 100 universities in the world with the highest number of patents issued, documenting a strong combination of research, innovation and entrepreneurship.
Both campuses value and welcome students from all backgrounds and beliefs and propagates the sprit that diversity is an essential component of progress on all educational and social avenues. Accordingly, both campuses have host a variety of student groups which helps student to find a home also outside their studies.
The University of Colorado Denver is Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission
International students must meet ALL of the standard requirements listed above plus:
• Original transcripts and documentation in English (or a certified English translation) of the completion of a Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree, or the equivalent
• Documents required to process immigration documents
• Certified English translation and documentation of US equivalent of all academic records
• $75.00 international non-refundable application fee
• Evidence of proficiency in English as demonstrated by one of the following:
- Citizen of a country whose official language is English
- Composite score of 75 or above on the TOEFL or composite score of 6.5 or above on the IELTS
- Graduate of CU Denver’s ESL Academy
- Earned bachelor’s degree or higher from a foreign or US accredited institution where the language of instruction was English.
- Earned bachelor’s degree from the US or successful completion of at least 2 semesters (12 credits) of full-time study in a graduate-level master’s program at an accredited institution with a minimum 3.00 cumulative GPA.