M.A. in Marital and Family Therapy; M.A. in Marital and Family Therapry & Divinity in Pastoral Counseling; M.A. in Marital and Family Therapy & (Biblical and Theological Studies); M.A. in Marital and Family Therapy & Addiction Studies Certificate Program
This program equips students to understand and integrate foundational counseling theories with their faith, while gaining practical counseling experience. In doing so, students become qualified to pursue licensure along with a career path that may involve the mental health community, private practice, the local church or international relief work.
We dedicate significant time to biblical training in order to integrate a Christian worldview with the field of counseling. As a result, students graduate with an awareness of their Christian worldview and the ability to articulate their beliefs as they interact with clients and other professionals in the field.
This program curriculum is designed by the state of California to prepare future counselors for licensure, while adding the distinctive elements of Christian worldview and theological perspective. We provide you with the necessary tools, knowledge and experience needed to grow as a therapist, counselor or mental health worker with strategic influence for the Kingdom.
Students will complete three or more semesters of practicum working as trainees before graduation. In doing so, the M.A. in Marital and Family Therapy program meets the state educational requirements for licensure by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
Western Seminary is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU) and the Association of Theological Schools (ATS), the accrediting body for theological schools in the United States and Canada.
International Student Requirements:
Normal requirements plus:
1. Request a Pre-Application Questionnaire. When pre-admission standards are met, a formal application will be sent.
2. Complete the formal master's application, including sending a $50 application fee, statement of Christian experience and personal references. Official transcripts are required from all institutions attended following secondary school. To be official by U.S. standards, the transcript must be sent directly from the college or university to the Admissions Office of Western Seminary.
3. Present proof of mastery of English.
4. Present proof of financial support.
5. The issuing of the Certificate of Eligibility for F-1 Student Status (Form I-20), which is essential when requesting a visa. This cannot be done until all materials are received.
6. The Seminary recommends that application materials be received by March 1 for the upcoming fall semester. June 30 is the deadline for completed materials to be received.
Facts & Figures
# of Credits Required: 72 - 120; varies
Average Cost per Credit (Graduate): $425
Classification: Specialized Institution—Theological seminary or other faith-related institution
Locale: Large City
Size & Settings: 0-999