Entry-Level Doctor of Occupational Therapy
The Doctor of Occupational Therapy is an entry-level professional program consisting of eight consecutive semesters (including summers) plus a six-month internship. Our graduates are prepared for entry-level positions in occupational therapy and often progress rapidly to leadership positions in the field. The program offers a rigorous education in both the basic sciences and in occupation-based practice with advanced skills in clinical practice, research, leadership, advoacacy and a capstone experiential project.. Occupational therapists must learn to participate collaboratively with other health care professionals. For this reason, core courses are shared with students in the physical therapy programs. Learning to communicate with other health care providers is important in preparation of building teamwork.
- Faculty to student ratio is 1:9.
- Master of occupational therapy students at SMU are enrolled in an intensive human anatomy course with cadavers.
- The majority of program faculty continue to practice in the field, have diverse backgrounds, have numerous publications and have presented nationally and internationally.
- Samuel Merritt University is located in Oakland, California, close to San Francisco, Berkeley and the Wine Country of Napa and Sonoma.
- All students participate in three clinics that provide free OT services to individuals in the community.
- Clinicians and employers in the field consistently rate graduates of the Master of Occupational Therapy Program at Samuel Merritt University as outstanding contributors to their professional staff.
The total number of graduates who passed the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT) certification examination for 2013–2015 was 105 out of 106, which is a pass rate of 99%.
The Samuel Merritt University Occupational Therapy program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE).
Entry-level Doctor of Occupational Therapy (OTD) accreditation candidacy received. Students entering in 2016 will be in the OTD program with the opt-out option to receive an MOT degree only. Entry-Level Master of Occupational Therapy is fully accredited.
Facts & Figures
Financial Aid: Yes
In State Tuition (per year): 38,833 USD
Out State Tuition (per year): 38,833 USD
Classification: Specialized Institution—Other separate health profession school
Locale: Large City