About Pepperdine University
Why Consider Pepperdine University?Pepperdine University is a global, Christian University dedicated to integrating faith with learning. It encourages students and graduates to lead purposeful lives and to live as servant-minded leaders throughout the world. It is within this these goals that Pepperdine University designs and delivers its many programs. Besides the school’s dedication to a quality education and spiritual life, here are some great reasons to consider Pepperdine University:
Pepperdine University RankingU.S. News ranks Pepperdine University #46 (tie) in National Universities, #18 in Best Colleges for Veterans, and #35 (tie) in Best Value Schools.i At the graduate school level, Pepperdine University ranked #1 in Dispute Resolution (ranked under Best Law Schools), #51 in Part-time MBA, #64 in Public Affairs, and #72 in Best Business Schools. Its Clinical Psychology graduate program ranked #143 in the category of that name.ii
Pepperdine University’s Spiritual LifePepperdine University integrates worship, service, and social responsibility with rigorous academic study to create a community that nurtures students’ hearts, souls, strengths, and minds. Within this context, the school strives to align higher learning with a higher purpose. Ethics-based graduate programs and on-campus Spiritual Life Advisors help students embark on their spiritual and educational journey with inspired character. While Pepperdine was founded in the Churches of Christ tradition, it welcomes people of all faiths.
Opportunities to ServePepperdine University has a Volunteer Center that helps students find and secure opportunities to serve on local, national, and global levels. This could enable students to increase their knowledge and experience in their major or in areas beyond their studies, all while making a difference in their communities and the world.
Pepperdine University FacultyPepperdine University’s distinguished faculty members are experts and renowned leaders in their fields. They contribute to academic discourse through published works, national and international conferences, memberships in professional organizations and societies, and cutting-edge and innovative research. In fall 2016, Pepperdine University employed 377 full-time faculty members and utilized 58 research and instructional assistants.iii
Pepperdine University’s Locations and OptionsIn addition to the main Pepperdine University campus in Malibu, California, there are five Pepperdine graduate school campuses located in California: one in Westlake Village, Silicon Valley, Irvine, Encino, and West Los Angeles. Pepperdine also offers programs in different parts of the world. In 2018m, it offered programs in Buenos Aires, Argentina; Florence, Italy; Heidelberg, Germany; Lausanne, Switzerland; London, United Kingdom; and Shanghai, China. It also offered a program in Washington, D.C. For students who don’t want to attend classes on a Pepperdine campus, the school offers online graduate programs in numerous disciplines. These programs offer students options to earn their degrees through a hybrid format or entirely online.
Pepperdine AthleticsPepperdine University has 17 NCAA Division 1 teams (eight men’s and nine women’s), 13 national championships, and 12 individual championships. As of 2018, 48 graduates of Pepperdine University were Olympians, and seven were Olympic gold medalists.
Mission,Vision and Values
Pepperdine University is a Christian university dedicated to the highest standards of academic excellence and Christian values. It strives to strengthen students to help them live lives of purpose, service, and leadership.
Admissions:Each of Pepperdine University’s five schools has distinct admission requirements. However, there are several components that all sets of Pepperdine admission requirements have in common. All applicants must submit: transcripts, letters of recommendation, an application to a specific program, and when required, official test scores (from the GRE or LSAT, for example), a statement of purpose, and a resume. Each program might have additional admissions requirements beyond these. Also know that:
- International applicants can work with Pepperdine’s Office of International Students (OISS) to learn about additional requirements, immigration support, and student orientations.
- Applicants who are veterans have access to benefits counseling, veteran student organizations, an Ahmanson Veteran Scholarship Initiative Grant, and other support services.
- Special Learning Opportunities: Undergrad Distance, Grad Distance
- Credit Accepted: Dual credit, Advanced placement(AP) credits
- Carnegie Classification: Doctoral/Research Universities
- Religious Affiliation: Churches of Christ
- There are 1588 full-time faculty
- 349 Part-time instructional faculty
- ROTC Services
- Study Abroad Services
- Weekend Evening College Services
- Remedial Services
- Academic Career Counseling Services
- Employment Services for Students
- Placement Services Completers
- Library Services
Enrollment, Attendance, Retention Rates and Graduation
Graduate attendance rate of 47% part-time and 53% full-time
For the years 2018-2019 Pepperdine University awarded: 932 bachelor's degrees, 1473 master's degrees, 199 doctor's degrees - professional practice, 88 doctor's degrees - research/scholarship
- The American Bar Association, Council of the Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar
- The American Psychological Association, Commission on Accreditation
- The National Association of Schools of Music, Commission on Accreditation
- The Association to advance Collegiate Schools of Business
- The Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics
- Pepperdine University: Online
- Pepperdine University: Encino, CA16830 Ventura Blvd., Encino, CA, 91436
- Pepperdine University: Irvine, CA18111 Von Karman Avenue, Irvine, CA, 92612
- Pepperdine University: Los Angeles, CA6100 Center Dr., 5 Floor, Los Angeles, CA, 90045
- Pepperdine University: Malibu, CAPepperdine University School of Public Policy, 24255 Pacific Coast Hwy, Malibu, CA, 90263
Pepperdine University Program Highlight: Pepperdine Law and Juris DoctorThe Pepperdine Juris Doctor degree is one of the school’s most popular programs. The program includes opportunities for professional development, study in specialized areas of interest, and co-curricular learning. Applicants interested in the program can pursue a traditional JD, an Accelerated JD, an Extended JD (that allows students to take more time to earn their JD), or a JD certificate. Applicants can also consider pursuing a JD degree alongside an MBA, Master of Dispute Resolution, Master of Divinity, or Master of Public Policy. Pepperdine Juris Doctor Degree programs include:
- Opportunities to specialize in areas of law such as:
- Business and tax
- Dispute resolution
- Entertainment and sports
- Real estate
- Public interest
- Experiential learning through a Clinical Education Program, Advocacy Programs, a Global Justice Program, and Global Programs with opportunities to study abroad. Internships and practicums are also options for JD students.