Notre Dame de Namur University
College of Arts and Sciences
Art Therapy PhD
NDNU's PhD in Art Therapy is designed to educate leaders in the field who will be at the forefront in career options, including teaching in the field, research, clinical work, and international job opportunities. The program is currently the only PhD in Art Therapy accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) in the U.S.
Individuals applying for and currently in the doctoral program have varied and diverse educational and professional backgrounds. They all have previous training in art therapy and have a master’s – if not in art therapy – in fields such as psychology, counseling, social work or art with master’s level courses in both psychology and art. Applicants have professional experiences in private practices, education, and community service, either in the U.S. or internationally.
The PhD in Art Therapy is designed as a three-year, 52-unit program, which is divided into four learning modules: 1) epistemology, 2) theoretical approaches and philosophical foundations, 3) practicum, and 4) research. The cohort model is used, in which student progress through the program as a learning community. Admission is in the fall semester only. The program requires on-campus attendance in classes nine weekends during the traditional school years and two weeks during the summers.
Program benefits. Who should apply?
- Individuals looking to become pioneers in the field of art therapy and to contribute to the local, national, and international development and recognition of the profession.
- Prospective and current educators wishing to strengthen their educational credentials in the field of art therapy.
- Practicing art therapists who wish to contribute to the advancement of the profession through research that develops the evidence base for their work.
- Visionaries who seek to pioneer pedagogical practices which will help to advance understanding of art as a way of knowing the human experience.
- Career-changers who sense the growing demand for PhDs in Art Therapy and the opportunity to become the new leaders in the field.
Notre Dame de Namur University is fully accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
Facts & Figures
Financial Aid: Yes
International Financial Aid: Yes
Classification: Master's College or University I
Loans Offered: Applicants may apply for loans by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). FAFSA Code:
Locale: Large Suburb
Size & Settings: 0-999