Loma Linda University
About Loma Linda University
Why Consider Loma Linda University?Loma Linda University was established in August of 1905 and has therefore served students and communities for well over a century. For its entire lifetime, the school has embraced Seventh-day Adventist Christianity and infused its curricula and training accordingly. Loma Linda strives to teach students how to apply whole-person care to every patient and to do so while embracing the healing ministry of Jesus Christ. Here are some other great reasons to attend Loma Linda University:
Loma Linda Combines Education with ExperienceThe Loma Linda campus has six hospitals where many students receive hands-on training. As a private health sciences university, Loma Linda works with its students and hospital staff to explore and find life-saving treatments and to shatter barriers in the health care industry. Through their programs, students learn how healthcare can serve local communities and underserved populations across the globe; and through the campus hospitals, students see healthcare and Loma Linda’s goals in action.
The Faculty, Staff, and Administration at Loma Linda UniversityLoma Linda University encourages its faculty, staff, and administration to create stimulating learning environments for students that incorporate research, education, and service. The school’s faculty, staff, and administration demonstrate Christian values and competencies both in their scholarship and professions. As of fall 2017, Loma Linda had 1,543 full-time faculty, all of whom were committed to embracing and enacting the school’s values and mission while simultaneously providing career-oriented, high-quality scholarship.
Loma Linda University’s Core ValuesLoma Linda University values compassion, integrity, excellence, freedom, justice, humility, and purity or self-control. The school affirms its values as central to its view of education and exercises them within its commitment to God. For students who follow the Seventh-day Adventist Church or who align with the University’s belief that all persons are called to a loving friendship with a loving God, these values and their descriptions may speak volumes.
Loma Linda University’s Spiritual Plan 2016-2020As part of its Spiritual Plan 2016-202, Loma Linda University strives to foster whole community health throughout its region. As such, the Loma Linda University Hospital will collaborate with diverse communities of faith to develop health initiatives throughout the inland southern California community. In addition, it will partner with numerous University, Hospital, and community entities to collaborate and build successful initiatives.
Loma Linda University Local and Global Community EngagementThe Institute for Community Partnerships is the hub through which Loma Linda University manages its local engagement. The Institute helps students connect with community programs of professional and academic interest and relevance. For global community engagement, Loma Linda University works with students to help ensure safe travel and accommodations, and to connect them to strategic partners and service organizations abroad.
The Loma Linda University RankingU.S. News ranks Loma Linda University #43 in Nursing-Anesthesia programs, #44 in Public Health programs, #52 in Occupational Therapy programs, and #70 in Physician Assistant programs.i
Mission, Vision and Values
The Loma Linda University mission statement is to continue the healing and teaching ministry of Jesus Christ. The school encourages professional and personal growth through development of the spiritual, social, intellectual, and physical dimensions of each member of the university and the communities it serves.
Admissions:Loma Linda University offers open houses, campus tours, and counseling appointments to prospective students who have questions about Loma Linda admissions and programs. Otherwise, applicants ready to apply should know the following:
- Loma Linda University application requirements vary by program
- All applications must be submitted online
- At minimum, applicants will have to submit a general application, transcripts, required test scores, and a statement of purpose or intent
- Applicants must review and accept Loma Linda University’s Values and Lifestyle Statement
- International students might have to submit TOEFL test scores and have their transcripts reviewed and translated
- Veterans can work with counselors to ensure their benefits and experience apply
Enrollment, Attendance, Retention Rates and Graduation
Graduate attendance rate of 15% part-time and 85% full-time
For the years 2017-2018 Loma Linda University awarded: 91 associates, 323 bachelor's degrees, 478 master's degrees, 27 post-master's certificates, 33 doctor's degrees, 415 doctor's degrees - professional practice, 86 doctor's degrees - research/scholarship
- The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics
- The Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education
- The American Dental Association, Commission on Dental Accreditation (check with a counselor to ensure that your program in the Loma Linda dental school is accredited)
- The American Occupational Therapy Association, Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education
- The American Physical Therapy Association, Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education
- The American Psychological Association, Commission on Accreditation
- The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology
- The Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology
- The Liaison Committee on Medical Education (check with a counselor to ensure that your program in the Loma Linda School of Medicine is accredited)
- The school is full of many supportive people who genuinely care for each other. You just really need to join something that interests you and then you'll be able to find some great friends. People seem very chill for it being considered a top university. Definitely a calmer atmosphere compared to schools like Stanford and Berkeley.
- The university provides the best of both academics opportunities as well as extracurricular activities in order to help their students explore and/or grow their skills on a specific or variety of fields. Their goal is to get their students involved in what they love in order to grow and expand the students knowledge.
- Overall, I love being a student at USC. On campus, I am a research assistant, a newspaper writer, and a dancer on the competitive hip-hop team. I've met a wide variety of students at USC, some who astound me with their intelligence and hobbies. I love talking to my professors during their office hours. The downsides to being a USC student is that a lot of things are inordinately expensive, the tuition keeps rising (unnecessarily), and the area around it is not super nice.
- Loma Linda University: Loma Linda, CA24851 Circle Drive, Loma Linda, CA, 92354
- Loma Linda University: Online
Loma Linda University Program Highlights: Doctor of Philosophy in Physical TherapyLoma Linda University offers its Physical Therapy programs through the School of Allied Health Professions. Within the department, students studying physical therapy have four degree options:
- Physical Therapy Assistant (PTA)
- Entry-level Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT)
- Post-professional Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Doctor of Philosophy in Physical Therapy (PhD)
- Didactic learning (students work with program directors or coordinators to design a course of study appropriate to their experience and future goals)
- Dissertation design
- Dissertation research
- Written comprehensive examination