The Path to a better future is right in front of you
Environment & Community M.A. Program 1 Harpst Street
Arcata, CA 95521
Environment and Community Master of Arts in Social Science
The Environment and Community Master of Arts in Social Science Program at Humboldt State University is a two-year full-time interdisciplinary graduate program focused on the diverse relationships between environment and community. This effort involves transcending a dichotomy between nature and society, and devoting attention to the built environment as well as the more-than-human world. Students in the program engage in a dialogue between academic analysis and social change.
Students in the program gain:
1. Skills to analyze the environmental consequences of economic and political structures and decisions.
2. Tools to address issues of race, class, and gender in environment-community relationships.
3. An understanding of community, place, and sense of place.
4. Knowledge and experience of diverse approaches to social science research and action. 5. Insight from case studies that offer a problem-oriented approach to learning.
6. Preparation for careers in teaching, government, community and environmental organizations.
7. An ethic of service and civic engagement.
We seek to better understand sustainability and community resilience within the context of social and environmental change at diverse scales ranging from the local to the global scale. The program is committed to conceptually rigorous, applied research on sustainability and equity.
Students explore these topics through graduate seminars in three thematic dimensions:
1) economic and political dimensions
2) socio-cultural dimensions
3) ecological dimensions.
Capstone topics in this program include the following general themes: sustainable food systems, community-natural resource management interactions, environmental and social justice, environmental education, Native American/indigenous natural resource management, and sustainable urban communities.
Financial Aid: No
International Financial Aid: No
# of Credits Required: 36 units
In State Tuition (per year): 6738 USD
Classification: Master's College or University I
Locale: Remote Town
Size & Settings: 6,000-9,999