Gerontology - Certificate
- CSULB has offered a gerontology certificate program for over 30 years, having recognized early the need for the study of aging by university students.
- CSULB is one of only a handful of CSU campuses to offer a Master of Science degree in Gerontology.This program has been accepting students since 1993.
- Two graduates of our Master of Science in Gerontology program have served as executive directors of local Area Agencies on Aging.
- Graduates of both our certificate and master’s programs are employed in both public and private agencies throughout the region and internationally.
- The gerontology program offers all university students the opportunity to learn about aging through a popular general education course that meets the recent legislative mandate that the CSU “provide academic courses and training in the field of gerontology for professional service delivery personnel providing services to the senior population”. (CA Assembly Bill 2202, 2003).
- A graduate of our MS in Gerontology Program was recently selected as the distinguished alumna for the College of Health and Human Services for work in the field of aging.
- Gerontology faculty have been active members of committees to develop strategic plans for aging in both the city of Long Beach and Los Angeles County.
- Gerontology faculty and students have the opportunity to work with the CSULB Osher Lifelong Learning Institute in mutually beneficial programs and research.
- The Gerontology Program promotes interdisciplinary learning, research, and service in partnership with local community organizations in support of successful aging.
- The Gerontology Program and the CSULB Center for Successful Aging periodically co-sponsor educational conf
Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities
International Student Requirements:
Facts & Figures
Master's College or University I
Size & Settings: