California Institute of Integral Studies
About California Institute of Integral Studies
Why Consider CIIS?
Who wouldn’t want to go to a school with an actual Council of Sages? (j) When you’ve got your very own version of Yoda and Ben Kenobi in the community, it’s certainly a leg up in the world!
Truth is, this Council of Sages is truly special. These are some amazing elders, including the phenomenal celebrity guru, RAM DASS and the truly inspirational historical force Angela Davis. It’s an unimaginable honor just to be in the same room with these people. So, as a student at CIIS, they’re actually your mentor, leaders. It’s a truly special place no matter your area of study.
Your Values Illuminated in Classrooms
The Institute creates an integral education for a changing world. CIIS values cultural diversity, multiple ways of knowing, spirituality, a sense of community, emancipatory ideals, and ecological sustainability. They’re all about developing a reflective and innovative learning community. In exploring the interplay of mind, body, and spirit, Studying at The California Institute of Integral Studies connects the spiritual and practical dimensions of intellectual life. The integration of the wisdom traditions presents an evolution of consciousness that has never been more relevant and crucial than it is today.
Counseling and Acupuncture Clinics
CIIS has brought low cost and effective therapy and healing to San Francisco since 1973 through their specialized clinics.
- Center for Somatic Psychotherapy
- Golden Gate Integral Counseling Center
- Integral Counseling Center at Church Street
- Integral Counseling Center at Pierce Street
- Psychological Services Center
- The Clinic Without Walls
- Acupuncture and Herbal Clinic
- Ear Clinic
Not only that, California Institute of Integral Studies also breaks the barriers of traditional research with three innovative centers of experimentation and study.
Center for Psychedelic Therapy and Research
CIIS’ Center for Psychedelic Therapy and Research educates the public and professionals about the research and clinical use of psychedelic medicine. The Center offers a Certificate in Psychedelic Assisted Therapies and Research to educate licensed psychotherapy and medical professionals on the use of psychedelic medicine in FDA-approved clinical studies.
Center for Consciousness Studies
Since its origins in the mid-20th century CIIS has been committed to the exploration of the nature and potentials of human consciousness. This commitment is embraced and embodied by its many programs, ranging from Asian philosophy to integral psychology and counseling, and on through women’s spirituality, ecology, creative arts, and many more.
Center for Transformative Media
Drawing upon the programs within the School of Consciousness & Transformation, the Center for Transformative Media provides revolutionary courses in media skills, theory, strategy, and design. CTM connects students with leaders in the fields of film, media, art, and activism.
Mission, Vision and ValuesCalifornia Institute of Integral Studies (CIIS) strives to embody spirit, intellect, and wisdom in service to individuals, communities, and the earth. CIIS expands the boundaries of traditional degree programs with transdisciplinary, cross-cultural, and applied studies utilizing face-to-face, hybrid, and online pedagogical approaches. Offering a personal learning environment and supportive community, CIIS provides an excellent multifaceted education for people committed to transforming themselves, others, and the world.
The California Institute of Integral Studies makes it so easy for prospective students to apply on their website. All they have to do is click into the page “APPLYING TO CIIS” and everything is laid out for them step by step.
Application Deadlines and Requirements are laid out with easy access click-through links to make it so convenient and efficient. In fact, they make the whole applications process clear and comfortable for their prospective students, just as they do the school experience for those who enroll.
Enrollment, Attendance, Retention Rates and Graduation
Graduate attendance rate of 23% part-time and 77% full-time
For the years 2017-2018 California Institute of Integral Studies awarded: 62 bachelor's degrees, 277 master's degrees, 29 doctor's degrees, 17 doctor's degrees - professional practice, 36 doctor's degrees - research/scholarship
Accreditation is always a crucial factor when choosing an Online University but it’s particularly important when it comes to schools like CIIS that are a bit less traditional than the usual. Luckily, there’s no call for concern when it comes to California Institute of Integral Studies. They have been the real deal since 1981 when they were first accredited.
CIIS has been accredited since 1981 by: Western Association of Schools and Colleges – Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC)
ACTCM at CIIS is accredited since 1991 by: The Master of Science in Traditional Chinese Medicine (MSTCM) degree and Doctor of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (DAOM) programs of ACTCM at CIIS are accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (ACAOM), which is the recognized accrediting agency for programs preparing acupuncture and Oriental medicine practitioners.
ACAOM granted continuing programmatic accreditation to the ACTCM at CIIS postgraduate doctorate in acupuncture and Oriental medicine (DAOM), effective 24 February 2018.
DACM Program: the ACTCM at CIIS Doctor of Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine (DACM) program has been approved through ACAOM Substantive Change and is eligible for accreditation by ACAOM. CIIS had a site visit in March 2018 and awaits ACAOM Commission action on the program’s accreditation as of March 2018.
- The school is full of many supportive people who genuinely care for each other. You just really need to join something that interests you and then you'll be able to find some great friends. People seem very chill for it being considered a top university. Definitely a calmer atmosphere compared to schools like Stanford and Berkeley.
- The university provides the best of both academics opportunities as well as extracurricular activities in order to help their students explore and/or grow their skills on a specific or variety of fields. Their goal is to get their students involved in what they love in order to grow and expand the students knowledge.
- Overall, I love being a student at USC. On campus, I am a research assistant, a newspaper writer, and a dancer on the competitive hip-hop team. I've met a wide variety of students at USC, some who astound me with their intelligence and hobbies. I love talking to my professors during their office hours. The downsides to being a USC student is that a lot of things are inordinately expensive, the tuition keeps rising (unnecessarily), and the area around it is not super nice.
Whether you choose to live on campus or join the masses online, there’s a transformational degree in wait for you at California Institute of Integral Studies. Because there are four schools at CIIS, you even have a variety of starting points. There’s the American College of Chinese Medicine, The School of Consciousness and Transformation, School of Professional Psychology and Health, and the School of Undergraduate Studies.
Although the schools at CIIS are quite different, they share a high level of positive impact in their surrounding community of San Francisco Bay as well as the world via their online arm.
American College of Chinese Medicine
ACTCM originated in 1980 and has maintained high status in the world of acupuncture and Chinese medicine. They joined CIIS in 2015 and are a marvel in the San Francisco Bay community. A big part of what they bring is education but they also provide exceptional healing and relief to people. That’s because they give experience to their students with clinical practice in clinics around the community, thus providing affordable alternative care to people who might not otherwise have the opportunity.
Degree Programs Include:
- Master of Science of Traditional Chinese Medicine (MSTCM)
- Doctor of Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine (DACM)
- Transitional Doctor of Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine (TDACM)
- Doctor of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (DAOM)
The School of Consciousness and Transformation
At SCT teaching and learning are considered transformative in themselves. So, you’re already on the transformation path as soon as you start classes. This school is all about raising consciousness for social and personal change. In other words, this school is all about making the world a better place starting with you, the student.
Degree Programs Include:
Anthropology and Social Change
- Master of Arts (MA) in Anthropology and Social Change
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Anthropology and Social Change
- Master of Arts (MA) in East-West Psychology
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in East-West Psychology
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Integral and Transpersonal Psychology
- Certificate in East-West Spiritual Counseling (doctoral level)
- Master of Arts (MA) in Human Sexuality
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Human Sexuality
Philosophy and Religion
- Master of Arts (MA) in Philosophy and Religion
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Philosophy and Religion
- Master of Arts (MA) in Transformative Leadership
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Transformative Studies
- Master of Arts (MA) in Gender, Spirituality, and Social Justice
Writing, Consciousness, and Creative Inquiry MFA Program
- Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Creative Inquiry, Interdisciplinary Studies
- Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Theater-Performance Making
- Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Writing and Consciousness
School of Professional Psychology and Health
This school trains students in clinical and counseling psychology as well as health and human sexuality. They integrate new and alternative therapeutic approaches for scholarship, research and practice. The studies of this program combine well with the other schools at CIIS and one of the bonuses of attending is the ability to crossover and take classes at different schools.
Another lovely bonus that the Psychology program brings to CIIS is the six counseling centers in the San Francisco Bay Area. These enable CIIS students to get cost-effective counseling and for graduate students of SPPH to get much-needed hands on experience.
Degree Programs Include:
- Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) in Clinical Psychology
- Master of Arts (MA) in Counseling Psychology (with many concentrations)
Integrative Health Studies
- Master of Arts (MA) in Integrative Health Studies
School of Undergraduate Studies
This school implements a BA Completion program which teaches one themes. They use methods revolving around student lives, languages, and cultures rather than traditional teacher-focused perspetives. In other words, this isn’t a typical lecture-series college experience whether you’re on campus or online.
Degree Programs Include:
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Interdisciplinary Studies
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Interdisciplinary Studies with a minor in Critical Psychology
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Psychology