Northern Arizona University
College of Arts and Letters
Teaching English as a Second Language, M.A.
MA in Teaching English as a Second Language
Our TESL degree combines a strong theoretical foundation in applied linguistics with practical training in the teaching of English to people who speak other native languages.
The principal goals of the program are to:
- provide the linguistic theory necessary for ESL/EFL teachers
- equip teachers with the practical skills needed for effective language teaching
- prepare students for further study in English language teaching, applied linguistics, and related fields
The MA-TESL program has three tracks:
- Applied Linguistics NOTE: These coursework plans are for advising purposed ONLY. These are unofficial documents (Coursework Plan)
- Language Teaching NOTE: These coursework plans are for advising purposed ONLY. These are unofficial documents (Coursework Plan)
- Language Teaching for Practicing Teachers
Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA).
International Student Requirements:
Please see our website for international applicant requirements.
Facts & Figures
Financial Aid: Yes
International Financial Aid: No
# of Credits Required: 37
In State Tuition (per year): 9462 USD
Out State Tuition (per year): 22452 USD
Classification: Doctoral/Research University—Intensive
Locale: Small City
Size & Settings: 20,000-39,999