University of Sheffield
Department of Journalism Studies
MA Global Journalism
MA Global Journalism
This course is intended for individuals who wish to go on to do MPhil or PhD research in Journalism Studies, or for people who wish to move into a career in international communication. The degree would be suitable for students preparing for a career in international journalism, non-governmental organisations, or wishing to understand journalism from a comparative perspective in order to operate in today's competitive, globalised media environment.The course is structured to meet the needs of those who might see the MA as a first step towards further academic study or those interested in a career in global journalism.
The course is built around a number of complementary strands:
- Specific academic modules which introduce students to key debates and issues in the field of global journalism and relevant critical perspectives
- Subject specific research training
- An introduction to practical journalistic skills
- Specialist study in a range of areas allied with global journalism, including: media ethics and regulation; censorship and the media; journalism, globalisation and development; online journalism and media audiences.
- Specific focus will fall on journalism in the EU and its neighbouring states, China and Japan, and the developing world
- The MA culminates in a dissertation project on a topic of individual choice
Aims and outcomes
The twin aims of the MA are to engage students in advanced level debates about global journalism, and to provide students with an introduction to practical elements of communicating with and writing for the media.
The MA in Global Journalism will equip you with:
- a solid grounding in methods
We are pleased to offer the Sheffield Scholarship 2016 to all US students commencing a Taught Masters programme in September 2016. The scholarships are:
• £2,000 if your tuition fees are between £14,500 and £16,500
• £2,500 for each student paying fees of £16,501 and upwards
We also offer scholarships of 50% of the course fee which will be offered on the basis of academic merit.
International Student Requirements:
IELTS 7.5 overall with 7.5 in each element