University of Bristol
MSc Public Policy
Wills Memorial Building, Queen's Road
Second Floor, Union Building, Queen's Road, Clifton
MSc Public Policy
What is public policy? Who are the key actors and which institutions are involved? Who is it shaped by and how does it have an impact on an economic, social and cultural environment that is increasingly globalised?
This programme investigates the international public policy environment in terms of global political economy and the impact of business, voluntary sector and public policy agents in the field of multi-level governance. The programme encompasses both a theoretical understanding of the policy process and models of appraisal with a practical orientation to evaluating research evidence.
As well as considering generic policy concerns, the programme gives you an opportunity to choose from a range of substantive policy issues. These include: the economics of public policy; poverty and social exclusion; penal policy; cities, housing and public policy; health and public policy; migration, asylum; and sustainability. All the programme units consider policy in an international and comparative context.
- Governance, Institutions and the Global Political Economy
- Informing and Evaluating Policy: Research Methods and Analysis
- Power Politics and the Policy Process
Optional units can vary, but may include:
- The Economics of Public Policy
- Gender and Violence: International and Global Perspectives
- An International Analysis of Poverty and Social Exclusion
- Social Policy and Social Change in East Asia
- Public Management and Organisations
- Critical Policy Studies and the Internationalisation of Public Policy
- The State of Labour
- International Analysis of crime, harm and justice
- Environmental policy and social justice
- Migration, asylum and human rights
- EU and global perspectives
- Public Policy for a complex and uncertain world
You must complete a dissertation of 15,000 words. The dissertation accounts for 60 credit points. You begin work in late April and must submit by September.
International Student Requirements:IELTS English language 6.5 overall, minimum 6.0 in all bands or equivalent
Facts & Figures
Out State Tuition (per year): 19,000 GBP
Classification: Higher Education Institution (Not Carnegie Classified)
Locale: Midsize City