University of Bristol
MSc Computer Science
Wills Memorial Building, Queen's Road
Second Floor, Union Building, Queen's Road, Clifton
MSc Computer Science
This MSc conversion programme is for those with little or no previous academic computing experience and is designed for students coming from a variety of academic backgrounds. The aims of this programme are to build:
- an understanding of the theoretical basis of computer science, and its importance in software development;
- an understanding of the underlying principles of computer systems and their applications;
- a foundation in professional standards of analysis, design, implementation, testing and documentation in software development;
- an appreciation of the current state and future directions of technological advances in computer science.
At the end of the first part of the programme, you will be able to approach large-scale software engineering design in a professional manner. Emphasis is placed on design and management. The main thread is the design of large software systems, starting from the initial problem and proceeding through specification to a finished product. The main programming language used in the course is C.
In the second part of the programme you will study a selection of key topics in computer science in depth. Having studied these topics, you will have the necessary background to begin work on your final project. Furthermore, you will be capable of managing all levels of computer systems in your future careers.
- Object-Oriented Programming with Java
- Overview of Computer Architecture
- Programming in C
- Research Skills
- Software Engineering and Group Project
- Web Technologies
You will also complete a project that involves researching, planning and implementing a major piece of work, and containing a significant scientific or technical component or a software development component. It is usually submitted in September.
International Student Requirements:IELTS English language 6.5 overall, minimum 6.0 in all bands or equivalent
Facts & Figures
Out State Tuition (per year): 19,700 GBP
Classification: Higher Education Institution (Not Carnegie Classified)
Locale: Midsize City