M.Sc. Artificial Intelligence for Games
On this course you will learn advanced techniques in Artificial Intelligence (AI), to create a range of artificial gameplaying
agents and non-player characters for a wide variety of games, from chess through to complex first-person and real-time
strategy and multiplayer games.
The course will cover advanced topics in machine learning, genetic and evolutionary algorithms, and neural networks.
Options during the course will allow you to study areas such as computer graphics and animation, sound, software engineering and project management.
The course is designed for students with an enthusiasm for AI who prefer a hands-on course where your ideas can be
implemented in a range of game environments, and for those with an enthusiasm for computer games aiming to get into AI
design and development. You will be expected to have prior knowledge of programming skills and an enthusiasm for games,
but knowledge of AI is not required.
Our graduates have skills that make them well suited to careers in the computer games industry, and to AI jobs in other areas
such as finance, management and engineering, and for further AI research through to PhD.
• The course is the first course of its kind in the world
• It has strong links with the UK games industry and games
Artificial Intelligence research, including prize sponsorship from
Microsoft and scholarships for exceptional students from the
Game Republic Academy
• Our partnership with Game Republic and our programme of
visiting speakers from industry ensure that you are up to date
with the latest developments and techniques in the games
industry, as well as giving you the opportunity to make contacts
with potential future employers
Partnership with Game Republic.
(C) = Core, (O) = Option
Stage 1 60 Credits (2 x Core Modules and 1 x Option Module):
• Advanced Software Development (20 Credits) (C)
• Artificial Intelligence for Games (20 Credits) (C)
• Computer Animation and Special Effects (20 Credits) (O)
• Concurrent and Distributed Systems (20 Credits) (O)
• Software Project Management (20 Credits) (O)
Stage 2 60 Credits (2 x Core Modules and 1 x Option Module):
• Artificial Intelligence for Games II (20 Credits) (C)
• Interactive Systems and Video Games Development (20 Credits) (C)
• Advanced Character Animation (20 Credits) (O)
• Artificial Intelligence with Applications (20 Credits) (O)
• Dissertation (60 Credits) (C)
A full Master of Science programme.
International Student Requirements:
See Eligibilty Requirements