Master of Arts
The MA in Modern and Contemporary British History at QMUL will provide you with a specialised postgraduate degree taught by an unrivalled group of research-leading British historians in a School with a long-established reputation for pioneering British history.
• QMUL’s modern and contemporary British historians offer students unrivaled expertise in traditional and innovative research.
• The Mile End Group is the premier Whitehall-business forum for contemporary British history and offers students opportunities to prepare themselves for employment.
• Three MEG bursaries are offered annually.
• Postgraduate students are schooled in advanced historical research skills by scholars who are expert in London’s archives, museums and repositories.
• The School of History has a vibrant research environment and ties to the Institute of Historical Research and other London forums where students of all levels participate.
Students enrolled on this taught MA programme will:
• Take four one-semester courses including the Modern and Contemporary British History Core module, the MA in History Core module, and two module options
• Research and write one research dissertation
• Examples of optional modules include: New Labour in Government; The US-UK Special Relationship; Britain and the Middle East 1900-1960; Medical History and the Body; Modern Girls? Gender, Culture and Society in Britain c.1918-1979; Stoicism and Sensibility: Placing the Emotions in Modern British History
• Normally an upper-second class honours degree or equivalent in history or other relevant humanities subject, together with two supportive academic references.
• A recognized equivalent from an accredited overseas institution or an equivalent professional qualification is also accepted.
• Applications from mature and ‘non-traditional’ students are welcomed.