MA Creative Writing
We’re a workshop-based programme that challenges you to submit your best writing week-after-week. Writing is complemented by the reading of established authors in order to give you that all-important sense of context. Small seminars led by experienced tutors explore the nuances of craft and the compositional process in an environment that is as supportive as it is demanding. We believe in the idea that all forms of writing can benefit each other, and ask all students to study fiction, poetry, creative non-fiction, and dramatic writing (for stage and screen), before settling down to write their dissertation in a singular mode. Our ultimate goal is to help you to take your private writings to the public sphere.
• Gerard Donovan, fiction writer and author of the internationally-lauded Julius Winsome. Gerard’s work has been longlisted for the Booker, and shortlisted for the Edge Hill Short Story Prize.
• Anthony Caleshu, author of a novella and two books of poems, most recently Of Whales: in Print, in Paint, in Sea, in Stars, in Coin, in House, in Margins. He won the Boston Review Poetry Contest in 2010 and is editor of the literary journal, Short FICTION.
• Lytton Smith, author of the book of poems The All-Purpose Magical Tent and the translations of two Icelandic novels.
The programme consists of four workshop-based seminars, which ask students to submit work throughout the term in an environment dedicated to their writing success:
• Fiction: stories and novels
• Poetry and creative non-fiction
• Dramatic writing: stage and screen
• Research for writers: preparing a dissertation
• Dissertation (tutorial/independent study)
For the award of MA, students must then submit a dissertation: tutorial/independent study a collection of poems, a stage or screen-play, or the first 20,000-25,000 words of a story collection or a novel.
Full-time students take two modules per term (September-December and January-March). Part-time students take one module per term.
International Student Requirements:
IELTS score of 7 or equivalent required for overseas students.
Facts & Figures
International Financial Aid:
In State Tuition (per year):
Out State Tuition (per year):