The programme builds on the strength of our IBMS accredited Biomedical Science undergraduate degree providing an in-depth understanding of principal techniques employed in biomedical research and a research internship within our Centre for Research in Translational Biomedicine (CRTB).
Specialist pathways in Cellular Pathology, Clinical Biochemistry, Haematology and Transfusion, Immunology, Medical Genetics, and Medical Microbiology are available. The programme consists of two core modules that support students’ preparation for an extended research project module which itself includes a four-week research internship providing training in current technologies. Students select from a range of optional modules which focus on diagnostic and research methodologies employed in biomedical science, developing an in depth appreciation of the application of the techniques
across the biomedical science disciplines.
Students wishing to graduate with a specific named pathway, for example MSc Biomedical Science (Medical Microbiology), must study the appropriate discipline specific module. In addition, coursework strands for each specialism will be evident in all of the technique modules and a current developments in biomedicine module. Students on specialist
routes will undertake a project aligned to their specialism.
• Standard and 3D cell culture, cell sorting capability (FACSAria II flow sorter) and unique facilities for organ perfusion
• Class 2 pathogen containment laboratory
• Post-genomic (DNA sequencing, micorarrays, transcriptomic analysis) and proteomic (orbitrap Velos pro LC-MS, Luminex 200 protein identification platform) facilities
• Imaging, including conventional and cryo SEM, confocal microscopy
• Electron paramagnetic resonance spectroscopy
• Absorbance/fluorescence multi-mode plate readers
International Student Requirements:
IELTS score of 6.5 or equivalent required for overseas students.
Facts & Figures
Financial Aid: No
International Financial Aid: No
In State Tuition (per year): 11750 USD
Out State Tuition (per year): 11750 USD