International Academy of Sport Science and Technology (AISTS)
International Academy of Sports Science and Technology (AISTS)
Master of Advanced Studies in Sport Administration
Scientific Park PSE-C
Lausanne, Vaud 1015
Master of Advanced Studies in Sport Administration
What is the AISTS MSA?
The AISTS MSA (Master of Advanced Studies in Sport Administration and Technology) is a unique 14-month international postgraduate programme in sports management, co-signed by the EPFL, UNIL, and UNIGE, and endorsed by the International Olympic Committee. Located in Lausanne (Switzerland), the Olympic Capital, the AISTS MSA was launched in 2003 and attracts between 35 and 40 participants each year wanting to re-orientate themselves and work within the sports industry.
The programme is made up of around 9 months of course work covering modules in management, law, technology, sociology medicine, career support and trans-disciplinary. In parallel to classes and for the remainder of the programme, the participants must complete a team project which is on a real topic for a real client, a research paper which is driven by an academic and at least 8 weeks of work placement within a sport organisation.
According to the Bologna Education System, the AISTS MSA is a Master of Advanced Studies (MAS). MAS programmes target meeting the needs of working professionals and as such fall in the category of continuing education or professional development.
What makes the AISTS MSA unique?
- The strong connection with the Olympic Movement having the International Olympic Committee, which is also a founding member of the AISTS and International Sport Federations lecture in class creates a deep understanding and appreciation of the Olympic Movement and Values
- The location of Lausanne, as Olympic Capital, with its high concentration of International Federations, the International Olympic Committee (IOC), the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) and international sporting events like Athletissima provides the ideal setting to study sports management
- The academic weight of having three prestigious universities co-sign the degree namely the EPFL, University of Geneva and University of Lausanne.
- The multi-disciplinary approach provides individuals a 360° view of sport management with a wide range of topics covered namely Management, Law, Sociology, Technology and Medicine
- The rich network of over 120 lecturers and speakers consisting of approximately 50% academics and 50% practitioners brings theory and practice together providing a complete perspective of sports management
Who is the AISTS MSA for?
The AISTS MSA is targeted at candidates who have a university degree and previous work experience but wish to re-orientate their career in the sports industry.
Experience in the sports industry is therefore not a prerequisite but experiences related to sport is a plus, ie, athlete, volunteer, member of sport event organising committee, member of club’s committee, journalism in sport, coaching etc.
International level athletes who participated in world championships, Olympic Games, etc. are also welcome to the programme.
To ensure a personalised, interactive environment, the programme is limited to 30-40 students.
What is the outline of the AISTS MSA programme?
Held in Lausanne, the Olympic Capital, participants are trained by experts in sport and academics, in the following multidisciplinary fields applied directly to sport: Management & Economics, Technology, Law, Sociology, and Medicine.
This sports management education programme includes 8 months in the classroom (lectures, case studies, activities and field trips), 2 months of work experience in the sports industry, with the rest of the time spent on a team project and research paper.
- End of September – June: Lectures and Course Assignments, Written Exams & Team Project (must be completed in Lausanne) - Full-time.
- January – August: Research Paper
- August – December (of the following year): At least 8 weeks of work experience
- December (of the following year): Graduation Ceremony
The Master of Advanced Studies is not to be confused with the Bologna Master. The AISTS MSA is a continuing education degree, similar to an MBA that is typically taken in addition to a Bologna Master. In lieu of the prerequisite Bologna Master’s degree, the programme may accept students with a 3 year undergraduate degree (Bologna Bachelor degree), if they have years of work experience.
Accreditation:The AISTS MSA degree is co-signed by the EPFL (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne), University of Lausanne (UNIL) and the University of Geneva (UNIGE)
International Student Requirements:• Participants must possess a university degree • Participants must be planning to pursue a career in the sports world • Participants must be fluent in English as all lectures are given in English • Participants should have some years of work experience • Participants must complete the online application form and attach all requested documentation
Facts & Figures
Financial Aid: Yes
International Financial Aid: Yes
Average Cost per Credit (Graduate): 60 ECTS
In State Tuition (per year): 28,000 CHF
Out State Tuition (per year): 28,000 CHF