Master of Arts in Theology & Religious Studies
During the course of the one-year Master’s Programme in Religious Studies you learn to independently evaluate information in a critical manner and to conduct academically sound research in a particular field of study. The themes which are offered in the different master’s fields are closely interwoven with the research conducted within the Leiden University Institute for Religious Studies. In this way you will develop a well-founded vision of present-day academic developments in their specialist field.
Why choose Religious Studies in Leiden?
1. The Leiden University Institute for Religious Studies provides a stimulating and dynamic context for the study of religion. Internationally acclaimed professors teach in the fields of:
Philosophy of Religion
History of Religion
Sociology and Psychology of Religion
History of Christianity
Material Culture of the Biblical World
In addition, the staff includes experts in fields such as:
New Religious Movements
Asian translation of the Bible
This provides students with an optimum range of possibilities, and we are able to guarantee a challenging and dynamic learning environment.
2. The Institute’s research and teaching programmes have been positively evaluated by international review committees and rank among the best in Europe.
3. The Institute’s small scale gives it an informal and personal atmosphere. The individual approach applied in the master’s programme allows you to derive the maximum benefit from your master’s study.
4. The master’s programme is a flexible programme, allowing students to pursue their individual interests.
5. The Leiden Institute for Religious Studies is located close to the University Library and is a short distance from other important university facilities. The picturesque old centre of Leiden with its charming canals is on just a few minutes walking distance.
Accredited by the NVAO (Dutch-Flemish Accreditation Organisation)