Journalism and Media Analysis (MA)
Programme Objectives and Competencies Acquired
The programme in Journalism is designed to prepare future journalists and editors to meet the
challenges of contemporary society. It is a small-scale programme that creates collaborative learning
environment, applies cross-media education model and focuses on professional skills training (students
publish community newspaper, several online-only news portals and complete the requirements of
professional internship). The programme provides an excellent theoretical basis for questioning how
political, economic, technological as well as cultural issues are involved in the democratic
performance of the media. The program is both professional and research oriented. The journalists who
complete this program will gain insight into theoretical as well as practical issues that contemporary
journalism meets in a changing society; they will master a wide range of media tools and gain valuable
experience in addressing everyday questions with a professional touch.
Graduates are qualified to work as journalists, reporters, correspondents, magazine writers and editors
in different fields of media (press, broadcast, Internet) or can pursue an academic career and enrol in
PhD studies in the field of Social Sciences.
This programme is accreditated by Center for Quality Assessment in Higher Education which belongs to ENIC/NARIC network. The diploma is recognized all over the world.
International Student Requirements:
• Application form;
• Bachelor / Master degree diploma and its supplement (transcript of records / mark sheet) in the original language and translated into English, and:
1) Approved by “Appostille” - for citizens of countries acceding to the 1961 Hague Convention;
2) Legalized by the Center of Quality Assessment in Higher Education (www.skvc.lt) in Lithuania - for other countries citizens;
• Proof of English proficiency (TOEFL, ELTC, etc.);
• Letter of motivation (300 – 500 words);
• Curriculum vitae;
• Notary certified copy of your passport or other document of identification;
• Copy of document showing paid application fee 50 EUR (where the name of the applicant and the date of payment are indicated);
• 2 recent passport size photos (3 x 4 cm);
• Accommodation form. All application documents must arrive at the International Office at VMU by the application deadline and must be either in English or Lithuanian language. The translation must be certified by a Notary.