Delivering transformative educational experiences since 2006, AUP’s MA in Global Communications is an interdisciplinary, hybrid academic program that produces expert communications professionals and scholars. Taught by an international faculty made up of intellectual and professional leaders in their fields, the program is designed for you to find a pathway to future success in your career.
Breadth of expertise
The courses in this program take advantage of the extraordinary breadth of faculty knowledge and expertise, in a curriculum always being adapted to meet emerging needs. We welcome students with a wide range of interests and provide expert academic and practical training on topics spanning:
- Communications Theory – from the development of the field and its major concepts and debates to the latest debates and challenges in a globalized world
- Digital Media Technologies – from the rise and promise of the Internet to the immersive networks of social media and ubiquitous computing devices
- Global Media and Media Systems – producing comparative knowledge of structures of ownership, control, influence and innovation
- Visual Culture – exploring the multivalent power of images and screens and practices of looking
- The Creative Industries – their increasing role in advertising and branding goods and services, and promoting and disrupting ideas and values
- Journalism and Public Relations – including the challenges and opportunities of producing and sharing compelling content in an attention-based digital economy
- Fashion and Material Culture – from luxury to sustainability in a rapidly transforming industry and wide-ranging practices of consumption in a consumerist society and beyond
- Cultural Difference and Cultural Diversity – their complex relationship to changing practices and politics of communication globally, including practices, policies and organizations
- Activism and Advocacy – in a world of new political stakes and stakeholders and transformative technologies
An international approach to learning
The MA in Global Communications encourages students to take their education beyond the classroom. Your learning experience is deepened by the opportunity of immersive practica and study trips where you will come into contact with experts in the field. Whether networking with communications professionals in New York or London, developing sustainable initiatives in India, or experiencing nation branding in Iceland or cultural heritage in Morocco, or we are committed to putting theory into practice.
Global Communication Tracks
Building on the core program, the MA in Global Communications offers specialized tracks in:
- Development Communications
- Digital Cultures and Industries
As a student, you will benefit from hands-on fieldwork and research development as you gain professional skills throughout the duration of your studies. This, together with the rigorous academic training, can lead to jobs in companies across the world. You will be well-prepared to pursue a career in a range of sectors and organization types, including corporations, non-governmental organizations, start-ups, nonprofits and family businesses.
The American University of Paris has been continuously accredited since 1973 by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE), one of only six prestigious regional accreditation associations in the United States. The Middle States Commission accredits many other well known universities in the United States, such as Cornell University, Columbia University, and New York University.
AUP is a non-profit educational institution incorporated in the State of Delaware and licensed by the Board of Education as a Delaware institution of higher education. The University is registered in the United States as a 501 (c) (3), a not-for-profit organization.