Master of HIV
Focus of the Masters education is on HIV and AIDS in an international perspective and this course programme is for all with a clinical, public health or organisational management interest in HIV/AIDS prevention, treatment and care.
The degree can be taken either as a one year full-time programme, or part time over 2-3 years, allowing you to study and work at the same time.
Intensive short courses in HIV/AIDS
For those who do not wish to enroll in a full masters programme, intensive courses are also available allowing specialisation in various directions.
Eligible educational backgrounds
Examples of applicants with educational backgrounds fulfilling the admission criteria are: doctors, economists, midwives, nurses, psychologists, public health specialists, political scientists and social scientists. Persons with other related educational backgrounds are also invited to submit an application.
Upon graduation you will be able to:
- contribute on a scientific background and at an academic level to the improvement in treatment and care of PLHIV
- participate in the planning, execution and evaluation of preventive and sustainable measures based on accepted policies and standards
- analyse HIV-related issues including the individual, social, cultural and political context
- participate in HIV research
The one-year full-time Master's Programme is divided into two study terms, and comprises courses of which some are obligatory. For description of courses see our website: www.mhiv.ku.dk
Additionally, there will be opportunities for practical experience in the laboratory, clinical teaching at the bed-side and in out-patient clinics, visits to patient organisations and a trip to eastern or central Europe.
Term 1 consists of core Modules, which will bring students with different educational backgrounds and working experiences "on the same page". An optional study tour to central Europe is included in Term 1.
In Term 2 students have the opportunity to specialise in the biomedical or policy & organisational management of HIV. The latter is integrated with the Master In International Health. Students are free to chose either the Biomedical Line or the Policy & Organisational Management Line irrespective of educational background or working experience. Students prepare their thesis and have an opportunity to enroll in internships at collaborating centres.
Professional progression of Master of HIV students
Upon completion of the MHIV, the masters scientific progression will enable students to apply for and master higher level jobs than prior to enrolment in the programme.
Core competencies will include: Knowledge of key concepts, theories and factual information based on the highest international research within the field of HIV. Including:
- Independently manage and develop work and collaboration within to above knowledge items that are complex, unpredictable and requires new solutions
- Independently engage in analysis of the interplay between societies, cultures, health care systems, prevention of diseases and health promotion related to a stigmatising disease
- The diagnostic procedures for HIV and related diseases; provision of information to patients about HIV and HIV-related diseases;
- Correct use of HIV medication and preventive medication for HIV-related infections; and handling of non-compliance
The Master of HIV was accredited by the Danish Agency for Accreditation ("Akkrediteringsrådet") in September 2009.
International Student Requirements:
A Bachelors or Masters degree in a relevant field (e.g. health sciences, social sciences, etc.) or an equivalent qualification from a recognized higher education institution AND
At least two years of relevant work experience
This may be a paid or unpaid employment (regular employment, internship, volunteer work, practicum, job placement, etc). AND
Applicants for whom English is not their first language must submit results of either the International English Language Testing System (IELTS/Academic) or the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The minimum acceptable score for the IELTS is 6; the minimum acceptable score for the TOEFL is 550 on the paper test, 213 on the computerized test, or 80 on the internet-based test.
Facts & Figures
# of Credits Required: 60 ECTS
In State Tuition (per year): 103000 DKK
Out State Tuition (per year): 142000 DKK