International Design and Business Management (MDes)
ID&BM is a multidisciplinary specialism based on an integrative design thinking management approach, pulling together professional knowledge in the areas of design, business and technological fields to achieve "managing design as a competitive strategy" in an international business setting. Globalisation in business and education has rapidly diminished boundaries between countries, cultures, and economies. ID&BM will provide a ‘meeting point’ for students and faculties amongst the collaborative institutes from different regions of the world, which enables cross-cultural and -disciplinary project teams to solve and manage real-life design, business and technical problems. ID&BM is targeting intakes distributed across Hong Kong, mainland Chinese and international students, and across design, business and technological fields.
ID&BM aims to nurture "T-shaped professionals" with high-level competencies to better understand and manage global business dynamic and to function in and contribute to design-sensitive and technological-intensive business environments. These competences enable students to lead the transformation of their respective local enterprises and to challenge existing mindset in technological innovations, product and service designs from an integrative design thinking management approach. Ultimately, ID&BM aims to create an impact at the regional and global levels by meeting future talents demand of well balanced business developers, entrepreneurs, products and services innovators.
Students, irrespective of their disciplinary background, learn together to nurture a new mindset and attitude where cross-disciplinary stimulation is the foundation of innovation. They will:
- apply theories and concepts of the three domains underpinning this specialism
- evaluate cultural differences and their implications for leadership and effective management of design and business activities
- identify and evaluate the means by which value creation may be managed
- participate effectively in the design, implementation and comprehensive evaluation of projects involving multidisciplinary and multicultural teams
- demonstrate the ability to view, frame and resolve design issues by adopting multiple perspectives
- understand and perform the integrative design thinking roles of a T-shaped professional in business environment
PolyU Design, which celebrates its 50th Anniversary in 2014, is ranked as the top Design School in Asia and one of the top 30 in the world by BusinessWeek and Business Insider respectively.
International Student Requirements:
People’s Republic of China and foreign nationals may join the full-time programme provided either they apply for and
receive a Student VISA; or they may join the part-time programme if they are holding a valid work permit or dependent VISA
from the Hong Kong Administrative Region Immigration Department. The School of Design will provide assistance in this regard.
Facts & Figures
International Financial Aid:
# of Credits Required:
In State Tuition (per year):