Department of Spatial Sciences, Faculty of Science and Engineering
Doctor of Philosophy
M.Sc. (Chemistry), Postgraduate Diploma in Chemistry, PhD.
- Analytical Chemistry - in Forensic, Mineralogical and Archaeological Application using ICP-MS and LA-ICP-MS;
- Centre for Petroleum and Environmental Organic Geochemistry - gas and liquid chromatography, gas chromatography/mass spectrometry, and gas chromatography infrared spectrometry;
- Clay and Ceramic Materials - development of new materials;
- Crystallization - Use of atomic force microscopy and computer molecular modelling in the study of crystal growth, also biochemical studies in crystalliztion of lactose and the formation of kidney stones;
- Electrochemistry and Corrosion - application of electrochemistry to problems in mineral chemistry, energy storage and corrosion;
- Environmental Chemistry - high quality analytical techniques for the determination of trace amounts of chemicals in the environment;
- Mineral Chemistry - recovery of gold from refractory ores, flash smelting/roasting of mineral sulfides, dissolution of iron from ilmenite, leaching of sulfide minerals, silicon smelting, the rheological properties of suspended minerals, and solution speciation studeis relating to hydrometallurgical processes;
- Natural Plant Products Chemistry - various aspects of phytochemistry;
- Polymer and Resin Chemistry
- Forensic identification of wood, emulsion polymerisation of viny and acrylate esters, and biomedical applications of polymers.
Contact the school for information
Facts & Figures