HR Manager Job Description vs. Human Resources Director
What is the basic HR Manager Job Description and how does it vary? A human resources director typically manages an organizations HR team; they are typically responsible for overseeing the development and execution of an organizations overall human resources strategy. Human resources directors oversee the work of other human resources managers and specialists, they are often charged with performing the following tasks:
- Ensure the organization complies with federal, state, local, and industry labor and safety laws and policies
- Oversee the organizations hiring, training, and retention practices
- Oversee employee benefits administration
- Develop strategies and best practices to support the organizations long term strategic growth
- Establish a corporate culture that helps support the organizations business model
- Develop communication channels throughout the organization
- Ensuring any employee complaints or disputes are addressed and managed appropriately
- Report the activities of the human resources department to senior management and other stakeholders.
Human Resources or HR Manager Job Description
Human Resources Managers are typically among the top ranked HR professionals in any company or organization. Human resources managers interact with other managers in other departments in order to assist with issues regarding employee relations such as:
- Developing strategies and procedures to attract, hire, and retain personnel
- Assisting in the resolution of personnel conflicts
- Ensuring the organization complies with all applicable rules and regulations governing employee relations’
- Reviewing and selecting compensation packages
- Determining effective and appropriate compensation structures throughout the organization
- Developing departmental and organizational goals
- Managing the department’s budget
- Human Resources Manager vs. Human Resources Director
Depending on the structure of organizations hierarchy and its size the title “human resources manager” and “human resources director” might be used interchangeably or they might delineate two different positions. Confusing right? The HR Manager Job Description might also include HR Director responsibilities depending on the organization.
In smaller organizations it is likely that there will only be one level of upper level management within the department. This would be the person responsible for overseeing the activities of the entire human resources department; depending on the organizations naming conventions for management this individual might be called either the “director” or the “manager”.
If an organization has both human resources managers and a human resources director it is likely that there may be several human resources managers tasked with overseeing different aspects of the organization. These managers are likely to report to a single human resources director who advises and informs the HR managers as to how to best perform in their specific job role. The HR director in this case is also likely to be responsible for communicating the department’s activities to other members of senior management and the organizations board of directors.
Top Salaries & Employment For Human Resources Managers By Metro Area
|Metro Area||Annual Mean Salary||Employment|
|San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA||$157,090||1,840|
|San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, CA||$148,720||3,820|
Top Programs with Human Resources Management Masters Degrees*
About the Author: Svetlana Pham is a New Jersey based freelance writer. She has a BA in English from Rutgers University and an J.D. from New York Law School.
Find a Graduate Degree Program
- Take advantage of some of the nation’s most affordable tuition rates, while earning a degree from a private, nonprofit, NEASC accredited university
- Qualified students with 2.5 GPA and up may receive up to $20K in grants & scholarships
- Multiple term start dates throughout the year. 24/7 online classroom access.
Popular Online Programs
Business Administration, Psychology, Information Technology, Human Services…