Walking through the application process

Small disclaimer: The following information is only a general guideline. To be on the safe side, always inquire about the application procedures relevant to your degree program. Each university offers this information at their International Office.

Edited by Stephanie Small
Published July 22, 2010 
How to apply?
Did you get your high school degree in the U.S., Canada or somewhere else outside of the EU?
If so, you’ve got two choices. You can apply directly to the International Office or the Student Administration Office at the university where you wish to study. You also have the option of applying through uni-assistUni-assist is an association of German universities created to make the application process for international students easier. Check and see if the university you want to attend is one of the 100+ universities in the uni-assist group.
Are you from an EU country, or did you receive your Abitur in Germany?
Click here for application details
Do you wish to study Medicine, Pharmacology, Veterinary Medicine or Dentistry?   
Visit this site for more details on applying for these special programs.         

What goes into an application?

Although the application process is unique to each degree – and don’t forget to confirm the specific requirements for each program you’re applying to – the following items are common to most applications. If your paperwork is in English, French or Spanish, it generally doesn’t need to be translated into German. Too bad…I know you were itching to use that babelfish.
1.       Application Form for Admission to Studies (click here for examples)
a.      Your high school diploma and high school transcripts
b.      Any certificates confirming university entrance exams passed (if applicable)
c.       Any university certificates/degrees attained and all transcripts
3.       Proof of German language proficiency (not necessary for English-language degrees)
4.       Passport photo
5.       Copy of your passport


Find Schools