So you have decided graduate school is right for you and you have taken your standardized test. Now it is time to prepare your application. Most applications require prospective students to obtain 2-3 letters of recommendation, provide standardized testing scores and submit a personal statement. Some schools may even require applicants to send a letter of intent, and participate in an extensive interview process. Each element of your application will help tell the story of who you are, and how you will contribute to the program. The articles in this section may help you fine tune your essay writing skills, appropriately present yourself during interviews, obtain respectable letters of recommendation, and avoid common application mistakes to help you present your story to the admissions committee in a powerful and meaningful manner.
With your sights set on graduate school, get ready for writing to become a major part of your routine. From the application process through your post-academic career, writing is an essential skill which, if practiced correctly, can give you an advantage over less well-written applicants. These articles will teach you about writing personal statements, letters of intent, thank you letters, editing and proofreading essays, and even offers free writing exercises for curing writers block. Not sure what to write about? Check out our video on choosing a scholarly essay topic. Not sure where to start? Check out our guide to writing your essay introduction.
- How to Write an Essay Introduction
- Editing Your Essay
- Choosing Your Personal Essay Topics
- Writing a Personal Essay - Brief Introduction
- Ways to Ensure a Successful Video Interview
- What to Wear to a Grad School Interview?
- How to Prepare for a Grad School Interview
- Top 10 Graduate School Interview Questions
Resources On How to Apply to Grad School
The process of applying to a graduate program begins with developing an understanding of the graduate admissions process. You need to understand how your application will be measured against programs standards as well as how you are likely to compare to other applicants to the program. At this point in the process you will have to make final decisions on the types of programs you will apply to, which degree you want to pursue, and what actions you must take in order to enhance your chances of getting into your favorite graduate programs. In this section, gain insight into how the application process works and learn helpful tips and hints that may help you better manage the application process and present yourself as a viable and desirable candidate to an admissions committee.
- Application Timeline for Graduate School
- Pin Your Hopes Online: Graduate School Applications and Pinterest
- Social Media Savvy and The Graduate School Application Process
- Round One Deadlines for Grad School Are Approaching!
- Five Quick Pointers for Getting Recommendation Letters
- Tips for Getting Strong Letters of Recommendation
- Rock Star Recommendation Letters
- Getting Recommendation Letters for Graduate School
- What to Do If You're Denied Admission
- Acceptance Letters: 7 Things You Must Consider
- If You Are Not Admitted
- Wondering What to Do Now?