United States PsyD Programs | Doctorate in Psychology
Many APA accredited psychology schools offer Doctorate in psychology programs in either a PsyD or PhD in Psychology. Learn more about your options then browse our directory to search for a PsyD or PhD Psychology program that might align with your unique goals and interests.
Why Consider a Doctorate in Psychology Program?
Earning a doctorate in psychology may be on your radar if you are interested in pursuing potential careers in academics, consulting, research, and as licensed counseling and clinical psychologists[i]. Psychologists study the human brain, cognitive functions, emotional and social behaviors through various techniques and interventions.
In the U.S.A., a doctoral degree such as the Ph.D., Psy.D., and Ed.D. earned from an APA-accredited program may be translate into eligibility to sit for the Examination for Professional Practice of Psychology examinations in one’s state.
We asked veteran doctor Nicole Martinez how earning a Psy.D has enhanced her career:
“With my Psy.D. degree, I see patients, and have worked for groups, at treatment facilities, and now see them on my own. I teach online courses to up and coming masters and doctoral students in psychology. I review case files and write reports or testify on cases about patients' mental health history and issues. I also write for a number of publications, which brings me great joy in my ability to share useful information to help a broader audience.”
~Nicole Martinez, Psy.D.Click to Tweet
What are PsyD Programs?
You are searching for a terminal degree in the field of psychology and see you have options including the PsyD (Doctor of Psychology), the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Psychology, and the Education Specialist degree.[iii] While academically similar, there are differences between these degrees – somewhat like different roads, that prospective doctoral students
should clarify before embarking on a doctorate in psychology program.
What is a PsyD Degree?
The Doctor of Psychology, abbreviated ‘PsyD, Psy D, or Psy.D. is an applied, clinically-focused doctorate degree somewhat like an MD in medicine. Earning a PsyD degree typically prepares a graduate to fulfill the educational requirements for state licensure; licensure is a requirement for use of the title “psychologist” in most states.[iv]
What is a PhD in Psychology?
The PhD in Psychology is a research doctoral degree in psychology. Earning a PhD Psychology typically prepares graduates to fulfill the educational requirements for state licensure. That said, those who pursue their PhD in psychology may favor academic research or teaching at the university level rather than clinical practice.
PsyD vs. PhD
In terms of potentially counseling clients and practicing in a clinical setting, both the Psy D and the PhD Psychology degrees have equal status and function about the same. Ultimately, your decision may boil down to whether you prefer to learn in a hands-on clinical setting or to conduct research.
7 Potential Admission Requirements for PsyD & PhD Psych Programs
The admission requirements for each psychology school and doctorate in psychology program may differ. Some schools may choose candidates that they feel ‘fit’ their schools’ mission in terms of clinical and research experiences. You are always wise to check with the requirements of the specific schools on your list. Potential admission requirements may include:
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college
- A Master’s degree in psychology, counseling or a mental health field from an accredited university – although sometimes an undergraduate degree may suffice
- GPA scores (varies)
- GRE scores (varies)
- Letters of recommendation
- Interviews, statement of purpose
- Fulfilled course pre-requisites if applicable
DID YOU KNOW? 5,277 Research Doctorates and 1,444 Professional Doctorates in Psychology were awarded in 2014?[ii]
Average Time to Completion for Psy D, PhD and EdD degrees:
How long does it take to earn a Doctorate in Psychology? Program lengths for PsyD, PhD and EdD Psychology Programs may vary between schools and depend on whether you pursue your degree on a part-time or full-time basis, among other factors.
- Ph.D. Psychology: Ph.D. programs might require at least 5 to 7 years to complete. In addition to regular coursework, you may also be expected to complete an internship or supervised residency. The program typically culminates in completing an original research project or dissertation.
- For a Psy.D. Degree: Most PsyD programs require between 4 to 6 years to complete. PsyD programs typically require a one year internship as part of the doctoral program, as well as a dissertation based on clinical research.
- For an EdD: Degree: Most EdD programs require between 3 to 5 years to complete. It is important to note that many applicants to EdD programs already hold a master's degree in a related field, while applicants to Ph.D. and PsyD programs often begin their program of study with a bachelor's degree.
Types of Doctorate in Psychology Programs: What is Your Specialty?
Whether you choose the PhD in Psychology or the Doctor of Psychology model, there are a variety of APA recognized specialties and proficiencies in psychological practice.
“Specialties: defined area of psychological practice which requires advanced knowledge and skills acquired through an organized sequence of education and training”[v].
Browse our categories and find your specialty;
- Doctorate in Applied Behavior Analysis Programs: Study the science of human behavior, learn how to apply interventions as a potential intervention for individuals with autism;
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology Programs: Study psychopathology, mental health issued and diagnostic interventions;
- Doctorate in Cognitive Psychology Programs: Study the mind, memory, attention, perception, reasoning and language;
- Doctorate in Community Psychology Programs: Study how individuals relate to their communities and the cultural, economic, social, political, environmental and international influences on behavior;
- Doctorate in Developmental Psychology Programs: Study the science of how humans evolve and learn from childhood through their lifespan;
- Doctorate in Forensic Psychology Programs: Study how legal theory, procedures and law intersect with clinical psychiatric diagnosis, clinical issues, practice and ethics;
- Doctorate in Holistic Psychology Programs: Study psychology from an integrative perspective (mind/body/spirit);
- Doctorate in Industrial/Organizational psychology Programs: Study human behavior in the workplace, career development and human performance;
- Doctorate in Social and Personality Psychology Programs: Study human nature and what makes individuals different from one another;
- Doctorate in Sports Psychology Programs: Study sport specific psychological assessment, optimal performance, and counseling techniques for athletes.
Are Online Psy D Programs Available?
You see how long it might take to earn a Doctorate in Psychology and wonder how to manage your time –study, research, career, family. You may not find completely online PsyD programs in every subject but it is worth a search. Here’s how. Use our on-page navigation. Filter by ‘campus’, ‘online’ or ‘hybrid’ program formats in any of the above categories.
How Important is APA Accreditation?
Very. Especially if you are aiming for an American Board of Professional Psychology. Why? To attain board certification by the ABPP one of the requirements is that an individual has earned “A doctoral degree from a program in professional psychology which at the time the degree was granted was accredited by the APA, CPA, or was listed in the publication Doctoral Psychology Programs Meeting Designation Criteria[vi].”
Who is the APA? The APA Commission on Accreditation (APA-CoA) is recognized by both the secretary of the U.S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation, as the national accrediting authority for professional education and training in psychology.
What is the Scope of APA Accreditation? The APA accredits doctoral graduate programs in clinical, counseling, school psychology and combination programs, internships, postdoctoral residency programs in traditional and specialty areas of psychology.
Find APA-Accredited PsyD, PhD, EdD Psychology Programs
Choose a Doctorate in Psychology Specialty. Filter by format. Browse sponsored listings – they may be for the Psy.D., PhD or EdD psychology. You have the tools to decide which one aligns with your goals and personality. Request info from prospective universities – the green bar on screen. Take the next step today.
[i] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/psychologists.htm |[ii] datausa.io/profile/cip/42/ |[iii] [i] |[iv] [i] |[v] apa.org/ed/graduate/specialize/index.aspx |[vi] abpp.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3290
The PhD in Psychology degree with a specialization in General Psychology gives you the opportunity to develop a broad base of...
University of the Rockies
Empower people with advanced strategies to enhance human performance. Earn your Doctor of Psychology, Sports and Performance Psychology Specialization from University of the Rockies in Colorado Springs, Colorado. This degree program is the pinnacle o...
Walden University’s Ph.D. in Psychology program combines rigorous academics and original research so that you can build the skills and knowledge required to meet the changing needs of a diverse world. This program follows a scholar-practitioner...
Grand Canyon University
- Chicago, ILChicago, IL
The Chicago School of Professional Psychology
The Psy.D. Clinical Psychology program provides graduates the highest degree for a practicing clinician, and is based in a practitioner-scholar model of training.
- Chicago, IL
- Irvine, CA
- Los Angeles, CA
- San Diego, CA
California Southern University
CalSouthern’s PsyD is an applied, clinically focused degree that emphasizes the practical knowledge and skills required to be an effective therapist or counselor.
- Newton, MANewton, MA
William James College
The Leadership PsyD Program is a highly interactive and outcome oriented program where students attain their 98-credit doctorate degree within four years for full-time and six years for part-time work.
- Newton, MA
- West Hartford, CTWest Hartford, CT
University of Hartford
The Clinical Practices in Psychology program is a full-time program, with a two-year sequence of course work and practicum experiences, leading to the Master of Arts.
- Chicago, ILChicago, IL
The master of science in child development degree provides a deep, interdisciplinary understanding of early childhood development. It offers excellent preparation for professional or leadership roles in the full range of disciplines and systems that ser...
Earn your Ph.D. in Industrial and Organizational (I/O) Psychology from a distinguished nonprofit university that is uniquely dedicated to engaging communities and advancing social justice...
- Portland, ORPortland, OR
University of Western States
he SPP EdD curriculum helps students complete coursework requirements to become licensed professional counselors (LPC) and Certified Consultants through the Association for Applied Sport Psychology (CC-AASP).
- San Francisco, CASan Francisco, CA
University of San Francisco
At the University of San Francisco, PsyD students are trained to translate thought to action, through practice-oriented training that emphasizes the mental, emotional and physical health needs of underserved communities.
- Caldwell, NJCaldwell, NJ
The Ph.D. in ABA program was designed for high-level employment where there are growing demands for competent professionals with expertise in ABA: namely, developmental services, special education, mental health, and academia.
- Denver, CODenver, CO
University of Denver
The Dept. of Psychology at DU offers a multidisciplinary approach to psych and close, collaborative student-faculty working relationships. We are a research-oriented dept that values collaborative, interdisciplinary approaches.
- Chestnut Hill, MAChestnut Hill, MA
We have a thriving department with numerous world-class investigators. In the last 10 years, we have hired 11 new faculty members at the assistant professor level. This tremendous growth has created a truly unparalleled level of excitement among our fac...
- Doral, FLDoral, FL
Carlos Albizu University
MISSION The mission of the Psy.D.
- Doral, FL