New York City Hybrid Doctorate in Psychology Programs & PsyD, PhD, EdD Degrees
Hybrid Doctorate in psychology programs offer students an alternative to attending a full-time on campus program, or missing out on interaction through a totally online education.
What Are Hybrid Doctorate in Psychology Programs?
As the title suggests, hybrid Doctorate in psychology programs are blended. In other words, courses meet partially in person and partially online. A hybrid PsyD or PhD in Psychology might include fully online courses but would also require some face-to-face component as well.
FACT: When surveyed about their education level, 19% of School Psychologists reported having earned a Professional degree.[i]
What is the Instructional Method?
The structure, of any hybrid/online psychology doctoral programs is up to the individual university. If you look at a school’s terminology it may give you a sense of the learning delivery method they use;
- Synchronous: Course content may be delivered in real time (i.e., live-streaming of lectures, participation via video conference)
- Asynchronous: Course content may be posted after it is delivered live (i.e., prerecorded lectures)
- Participation: students may have textbooks and/or online resources, independent reading, participation in online discussion boards or blogs
- Low Residency: Students will also have to come to campus for brief (e.g. one week, evening, weekend) intensive sessions, often in the summer but typically at pre-determined intervals.
- Meeting with Faculty: Students may have in-person or video-conferencing meetings with faculty support vis a vis any research projects.
What is the Difference Between a Psy.D., D.Ed. and Ph.D. in Psychology?
Hybrid Doctorate in Psychology programs may be offered as Doctor of Psychology (PsyD), PhD in Psychology and Doctor of Education (DEd) in Psychology. Admission requirements to any program is based on individual university requirements. Some programs may accept students with an undergraduate degree from an accredited college. Others may require students to have earned a Masters degree in their field of study.
The PsyD: Scientist Practitioner Model
The PsyD may be referred to as the scientist-practitioner model. The focus of the degree is on the application of knowledge to clinical practice. This is typically reflected in the dissertation. Doctor of Psychology students tend to perform research in a clinical setting, using existing theory to work with a specific real-world issue.
The PhD Psychology: Practitioner-Scholar Model
The PhD in Psychology may be referred to as the practitioner-scholar model. The focus of the degree is on conducting research to make an original contribution to the field of psychology via a dissertation which is written, published and defended to one’s peers.
The Doctor of Education in Psychology
Academically like the PhD and PsyD (all terminal degrees), the EdD tends to be the one that aspiring school psychologists choose[ii] but also might be chosen for future Sports Psychologists or in a counseling profession where motivating others is an underlying concern.
5 Things To Look For in Hybrid/Online Psychology Doctoral Programs
Aside from deciding whether you prefer a professional doctorate (you prefer clinical practice) to an academic doctorate (you prefer to research in the laboratory or contribute through publishing), carefully consider what your career goals are and evaluate how each program matches with them. When researching hybrid Doctorate in Psychology programs, there are a few factors to bear in mind;
- Accreditation: Look for a school accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
- Resources: Look for a Hybrid doctorate in psychology program where you feel you will have access to library resources, academic advisors, career counselors and other campus-based services.
- Student support: Look for a school where they offer the support you are comfortable with to faculty and other department resources.
- Placement: Some programs may require a practicum and/or internship experience. Inquire whether there is departmental assistance to help you find an appropriate placement in your community.
- Licensure: If your program emphasizes professional practice, verify that attending an online program does not cause problems when applying for licensure. (Some states require that your university be regionally accredited to apply for licensure.)[iii]
What Types of Hybrid PsyD, PhD or EdD Psychology Programs Are There?
Search for Hybrid Doctorate in psychology degree programs after you have carefully considered your career goals and academic interests.
Developmental Psychology: Hybrid PhD in Developmental Psychology programs explore how humans learn, mature and adapt across their lifespan. This includes physical, cognitive, social, intellectual, perceptual and emotional aspects of growth and development.
Sports Psychology: Hybrid EdD in Sports Psychology programs explore ways that one might offer counseling and motivation to athletes, performers and others. Sports and performance coaches, trainers and psychologists help others reach their goals, cope with anxiety and realize their potential.
Per the BLS, demand for licensed psychologists continues to grow; employment of clinical, counseling and school psychologists is projected to grow 20% from 2014 to 2024;the median annual wage for psychologists in May 2015 was $94,590.[iv]
Why Consider a Hybrid Doctorate in Psychology Program?
One of the potential advantages to enrolling in a hybrid Doctorate in psychology program is that you do not have to relocate to pursue your degree. Considering the average length (length is a variable) of the PsyD (4 to 6 years), the PhD in Psychology (5 to 7 years) and the EdD in Psychology (3 to 5 years), this may be a huge pressure removed from shoulders. At the same time, you don’t have to go through a program without any human interaction.
Take the Next Step
The next step is easy to take. Browse sponsored listings for hybrid Psyd and PhD Psychology programs. Request info. Get started today!
[i] onetonline.org/link/summary/19-3031.01[ii] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/psychologists.htm |[iii] apa.org/education/grad/online-programs.aspx |iv]