Psychology PhD & PsyD Programs
Many APA accredited psychology schools offer Doctorate in psychology programs in either a PsyD or PhD in Psychology. Learn more about your options then browse our directory to search for a PsyD or PhD Psychology program that might align with your unique goals and interests.
Why Consider a Doctorate in Psychology Program?
Earning a doctoral degree in psychology may be on your radar if you are interested in pursuing potential careers in academics, consulting, research, and as licensed counseling and clinical psychologists[i]. Psychologists study the human brain, cognitive functions, emotional and social behaviors through various techniques and interventions.
In the U.S.A., a doctoral degree such as the Ph.D., Psy.D., and Ed.D. earned from an APA-accredited program may be translate into eligibility to sit for the Examination for Professional Practice of Psychology examinations in one’s state.
What are PsyD Programs?
You are searching for a terminal degree program in the field of psychology and see you have options including the PsyD (Doctor of Psychology), the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Psychology, and the Education Specialist degree.[iii] While academically similar, there are differences between these degrees – somewhat like different roads, that prospective doctoral students should clarify before embarking on a doctorate in psychology program.
The Doctor of Psychology, abbreviated ‘PsyD, Psy D, or Psy.D. is an applied, clinically-focused doctorate degree somewhat like an MD in medicine. Earning a PsyD degree typically prepares a graduate to fulfill the educational requirements for state licensure; licensure is a requirement for use of the title “psychologist” in most states.[iv]
What is a PhD in Psychology?
The PhD in Psychology is a research doctoral degree in psychology. Earning a PhD Psychology typically prepares graduates to fulfill the educational requirements for state licensure. That said, those who pursue their PhD in psychology may favor academic research or teaching at the university level rather than clinical practice.
PsyD Programs vs. Psychology PhD Programs
In terms of potentially counseling clients and practicing in a clinical setting, both the Psy D and the PhD Psychology degrees have equal status and function about the same. Ultimately, your decision may boil down to whether you prefer to learn in a hands-on clinical setting or to conduct research.
7 Potential Admission Requirements for PsyD & PhD Psych Programs
The admission requirements for each psychology school and doctor of psychology program may differ. Some schools may choose candidates that they feel ‘fit’ their schools’ mission in terms of clinical and research experiences. You are always advised to check with the requirements of the specific schools on your list. Potential admission requirements may include:
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college
- A Master’s degree in psychology, counseling or a mental health field from an accredited university – although sometimes an undergraduate degree may suffice, a master degree might not be needed
- GPA scores (varies)
- GRE scores (varies)
- Letters of recommendation
- Interviews, statement of purpose
- Fulfilled course pre-requisites if applicable
DID YOU KNOW?
5,277 Research Doctorates and 1,444 Professional Doctorates in Psychology were awarded in 2014?[ii]
Average Time to Completion for Psy D, PhD and EdD degrees:
How long does it take to earn a Doctorate in Psychology? Program lengths for PsyD, Psychology PhD and EdD Psychology Programs may vary between schools and depend on whether you pursue your graduate study on a part-time or full-time basis, among other factors.
- Ph.D. Psychology: Ph.D. programs might require at least 5 to 7 years to complete. In addition to regular coursework, you may also be expected to complete an internship or supervised residency. The program typically culminates in completing an original research project or dissertation.
- For a Psy.D. Degree: Most PsyD programs require between 4 to 6 years to complete. PsyD programs typically require a one year internship as part of the doctoral program, as well as a dissertation based on clinical research.
- For an EdD: Degree: Most EdD programs require between 3 to 5 years to complete. It is important to note that many applicants to EdD programs already hold a master's degree in a related field, while applicants to Ph.D. and PsyD programs often begin their program of study with a bachelor's degree.
Types of Doctorate in Psychology Specialty Programs
Whether you choose the PhD in Psychology or the Doctor of Psychology model, there are a variety of APA recognized specialties and proficiencies in psychological practice.
List of PsyD Programs
|Program Name||Formats Available||Degree|
Doctor of Psychology in Counseling Psychology
Ph.D. in Industrial and Organizational Psychology - Forensic Consulting Online
Doctor of Psychology
Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology - Trauma and Disaster Relief
Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology
Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology - Health Psychology
Doctor of Business Administration - Industrial Organizational Psychology
Doctor of Psychology - Health and Wellness Psychology Specialization
Doctor of Psychology in School Psychology
Doctor of Education in Sport and Performance Psychology
Online, Hybrid, Campus
“Specialties: defined area of psychological practice which requires advanced knowledge and skills acquired through an organized sequence of education and training”[v].
Browse our PsyD categories and find your specialty areas:
- Doctorate in Applied Behavior Analysis Programs: Study the science of human behavior, learn how to apply interventions as a potential intervention for individuals with autism;
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology Programs: Study psychopathology, mental health issued and diagnostic interventions;
- Doctorate in Cognitive Psychology Programs: Study the mind, memory, attention, perception, reasoning and language;
- Doctorate in Community Psychology Programs: Study how individuals relate to their communities and the cultural, economic, social, political, environmental and international influences on behavior;
- Doctorate in Developmental Psychology Programs: Study the science of how humans evolve and learn from childhood through their lifespan;
- Doctorate in Forensic Psychology Programs: Study how legal theory, procedures and law intersect with clinical psychiatric diagnosis, clinical issues, practice and ethics;
- Doctorate in Holistic Psychology Programs: Study psychology from an integrative perspective (mind/body/spirit);
- Doctorate in Industrial/Organizational psychology Programs: Study human behavior in the workplace, career development and human performance;
- Doctorate in Social and Personality Psychology Programs: Study human nature and what makes individuals different from one another;
- Doctorate in Sports Psychology Programs: Study sport specific psychological assessment, optimal performance, and counseling techniques for athletes.
Are Online Psy D Programs Available?
Earning a Doctorate in Psychology takes time and many students are juggling work and family too! If you are wondering how to manage your time – study, research, career, family – an online PsyD might be perfect for you!. There are many online PsyD programs available but it is worth a search to find out if these programs meet your needs.
How has earning a Psy.D. enhanced your career?
With my Psy.D. degree, I see patients, and have worked for groups, at treatment facilities, and now see them on my own. I teach online courses to up and coming masters and doctoral students in psychology. I review case files and write reports or testify on cases about patients' mental health history and issues. I also write for a number of publications, which brings me great joy in my ability to share useful information to help a broader audience.
How Important is APA Accreditation for Psychology PhD Programs?
Very. Especially if you are aiming for an American Board of Professional Psychology. Why? To attain board certification by the ABPP one of the requirements is that an individual has earned “A doctoral degree from a program in professional psychology which at the time the degree was granted was accredited by the APA, CPA, or was listed in the publication Doctoral Psychology Programs Meeting Designation Criteria[vi].”
Who is the APA? The APA Commission on Accreditation (APA-CoA) is recognized by both the secretary of the U.S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation, as the national accrediting authority for professional education and training in psychology.
What is the Scope of APA Accreditation? The APA accredits doctoral graduate programs in clinical, counseling, school psychology and combination programs, internships, postdoctoral residency programs in traditional and specialty areas of psychology.
Find APA-Accredited PsyD, PhD, EdD Psychology Programs
Choose a Doctorate in Psychology Specialty. Filter by format. Browse sponsored listings – they may be for the Psy.D., PhD or EdD psychology. You have the tools to decide which one aligns with your goals and personality. Request info from prospective universities – the green bar on screen. Take the next step today.
- Offering two quality, competency-based online learning formats: FlexPath & GuidedPath
- With FlexPath, you can earn your master’s degree in 12 months and under $11,000*
- 97% of alumni agree FlexPath provided the flexibility they needed to pursue their degree (Alumni Outcomes Survey 2017)
*Assumes accelerated pace. Price varies by your pace and transfer credits. Other fees may apply.
Walden UniversityUpcoming Start Date: May 06, 2019
Deepen your knowledge of workplace and organizational behavior in Walden’s Ph.D. in Industrial and Organizational (I-O) Psychology program with a specialization in General Practice. As you develop advanced skills in change management, personnel...
- Arlington, VAArlington, VA
Divine Mercy University
IPS graduates with a Doctor of Psychology (Psy.D.) in Clinical Psychology are trained to address today’s mental health challenges by utilizing advanced psychotherapy skills, psychological testing, and a focus on specific pathologies and concepts within...
- Los Angeles, CALos Angeles, CA
The Chicago School of Professional PsychologyUpcoming Start Date: May 06, 2019
The Chicago School’s Applied Clinical Psychology Doctoral program teach students about directive, non-directive, and systematic approaches.
- Los Angeles, CA
- Washington, DC
- Chicago, IL
- San Diego, CA
- Irvine, CA
- New Orleans, LA
Northcentral UniversityUpcoming Start Date: March 18, 2019
The PhD in Psychology degree with a specialization in General Psychology gives you the opportunity to develop a broad base of...
Saybrook’s online clinical psychology programs are specifically focused on the knowledge, experience, and practical skills you will need to directly enter professional practice. We prepare students to sit for licensure as a Psychologist, Marria...
- Kirkland, WA
Grand Canyon University
The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in General Psychology with an emphasis in Cognition and Instruction is geared toward...
- Newton, MANewton, MA
William James College
The Leadership PsyD Program is a highly interactive and outcome oriented program where students attain their 98-credit doctorate degree within four years for full-time and six years for part-time work.
- Newton, MA
- Boston, MABoston, MA
The PhD program in Behavior Analysis is a 68-credit doctoral program designed to train and position qualified behavior analysts to make significant contributions to the science and to the community...
- Kingston, NSKingston, NS
Queen's University, Ontario, Canada
The graduate program in Psychology at Queen’s is internationally renowned for the excellence and integrity of its faculty, students and training and the innovation and value of its research, scholarship and skill development. We have designed our gra...
- Statesboro, GAStatesboro, GA
Georgia Southern University
Our program is designed to give you an edge in gaining entry into a doctoral program in psychology (including Clinical or Counseling Psychology), and to provide you with the skills and qualifications needed to pursue a career immediately if you choos...
- Provo, UTProvo, UT
Brigham Young University
The doctoral program in psychology offers rigorous educational experience leading to the PhD degree. The first two years of the program are designed to provide broad coverage of the substantive areas of the field, training in research skill, and introdu...
- Provo, UT
- Radford, VARadford, VA
Radford University will offer a Doctor of Phsychology (Psy.D.) in Counseling Psychology with a focus on rural mental health. The Psy. D.
- Pittsburgh, PAPittsburgh, PA
The Ph.D. Clinical Psychology concentration is an advanced course of study specializing in human science approaches to clinical psychology, integrating theory, research, and clinical practice.
- Greater Sudbury, ONGreater Sudbury, ON
- London, United KingdomLondon, United Kingdom
London School of Economics and Political Science
The Institute offers research opportunities in health, community and development; social and cultural psychology; organisational social psychology; and social and public communication. The stream that a student belongs to is flexible and open to nego...
SOURCES: [i] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/psychologists.htm |[ii] datausa.io/profile/cip/42/ |[iii] [i] |[iv] [i] |[v] apa.org/ed/graduate/specialize/index.aspx |[vi] abpp.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3290