Texas Online Doctorate in Neuroscience Degrees & Neuroscience PhD Online
Online Doctorate in Neuroscience Degree Information
If you are considering earning an online Ph.D. in neuroscience, you are most likely fascinated with understanding the normal function and disorders of the nervous system. You may be eager to learn about the autonomic nervous system, development of the sensory systems, or the structure and function of neural tissue. Online doctorate in neuroscience programsare designed to foster students in an interdisciplinary learning environment to help them meet their educational goals through different program options. Students may develop a firm intellectual foundation through the application of a core knowledge base, developing research skills and critical thinking, enhancing professional communication and technology skills, and potential career preparation.
Neuroscience involves comprehensive brain research and analysis of a large-scale range of data. Neuroscientists attempt to understand human brain functions so they may potentially prevent or cure neurological diseases. Research is the principal focus of the online Ph.D. in neuroscience program. The objective is understanding the processes of neural development, nervous system organization, and neurodegeneration. Another key focus is learning and mentoring the next generation of neuroscientists enabling them to build upon and expand the current repository of expertise in the field of neuroscience.
Potential Career Opportunities for Students Earning a Ph.D. in Neuroscience
Students participating in online neuroscience doctorate programs might have the potential to explore a variety of exciting professional opportunities. Some students may pursue prominent post-doctoral opportunities with leading scientists at research-intensive and academic institutions. Some might advance to tenure-track academic jobs, while others might pursue career opportunities in
non-academic positions, such as scientific publication writing and editing, public policy, and NIH administration.
Research or faculty positions may be available for those earning a Ph.D. in neuroscience in numerous academic fields or medical universities. Administrative and research career opportunities may be found in public agencies, such as the Food and Drug Administration, Environmental Protection Agency, and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.Private industries such as chemical, pharmaceutical, and biotechnology may provide research jobs and often pay better than similar government opportunities[i]. In a technical setting, neuroscientists may have the chance to perform research and develop new products without any added teaching duties.
Online Doctorate in Neuroscience Course Curriculum
Online doctorate in neuroscience include a comprehensive collection of topics. The curriculum and number of classes may vary from program to program. Courses in the neuroscience curriculum are designed to instill an extensive background in the neurosciences, with a firm grounding in cell and molecular biology and systems-level neurobiology. Some of the subjects offered in the various online Ph.D. programs in neuroscience curriculum may include:
- Systems Neuroscience
- Neurobiology of Disease
- Limbic System of the Brain
- Mammalian Neuroanatomy
- Neurobiology of Disease
- Foundations of Biomedical Science
- Cell, Molecular and Developmental Neuroscience
- Molecular Neurobiology of Excitable Membranes
- The Biochemical and Genetic Language of Modern Biology
In addition, some programs may incorporate an internship, a capstone project, or a thesis.
Potential Concentration Options for Graduates Earning a PhD in Neuroscience
Students in an online Ph.D. doctorate program in neuroscience may find that a concentration in a particular discipline is an ideal option for their future career goals. Some potential areas of concentration for students choosing online neuroscience doctorate programs may include:
- Nursing Science
- Biopharmaceutical Science
- Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics
- Physiology and Biophysics
- Neurobiology of learning and memory
- Kinesiology and Nutrition
Important Qualities to Consider When Pursuing a Career in Neuroscience
Qualities that may guide students to complete an online Ph.D. program successfully may include creativity, leadership, and dedication to the serious pursuit of new scientific research and discoveries. According to O*Net, some of the skills and abilities that may help individuals succeed in the field of Neuroscience include[ii]:
- Active Listening: The ability to provide undivided attention to what others are saying, taking the time to understand positions, asking appropriate questions, and avoiding interruptions
- Complex Problem Solving: Identifying complex issues and analyzing relevant information to generate and evaluate alternatives and execute solutions
- Critical Thinking: Employing reasoning and logic to recognize the strengths and weaknesses of options, outcomes, or alternative strategies
- Reading Comprehension: Following written sentences and paragraphs in scientific reports
- Social Perceptiveness: Being aware of and understanding others' reactions
- Decision-making: Interpreting information and analyzing results to determine reliable solutions for solving problems
- Inductive Reasoning: The capacity to connect bits of information to form broad conclusions or rules
- Deductive Reasoning: Applying general rules or conclusions to distinct problems to generate solutions that make sense
As you learn more about earning an online doctorate in neuroscience degree, you may find that this field involves much more than just psychology or science. Neuroscience is a study of the brain that spans many scientific disciplines. Earning an online doctorate in neuroscience may help you understand these interactions and develop expertise in a field that may include a variety of exciting potential professional and personal opportunities.
Resources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/medical-scientists.htm | [ii] onetonline.org/link/summary/29-1069.04