Rhode Island Online Medical Specialties Doctorate Degree Programs
Online Medical Specialties Doctorate Degree programs may be offered in alternative medicine or allopathic medicine and pre-med program options. While a fully online md degree program may not be realistic given the human-centered nature of medicine, there may be medical and holistic schools who have an e-learning option for some of the courses. This may make a doctoral degree accessible both to currently licensed professionals seeking updated credentials and to those interested in launching a career in the growing field of healthcare[i].
Online Medical Specialties Doctorate Degree Programs: Basics
Online Medical Specialties doctorate degree programs may be offered as professional doctorates as well as research doctorates, called Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degrees.
Who Might Apply?
Professional online md doctoral degree programs may admit undergraduates who have biology, chemistry, physics and math backgrounds, although a specific Bachelor’s degree may not be required[ii]. The requirements for a Ph.D. may differ, and certainly there could be graduate school-specific requirements to inform yourself about.
How long is an online professional doctorate?
Length of programs vary, however where licensure is required, there are usually some stipulations. For instance, to receive a license, naturopaths must graduate from an accredited 4-year naturopathic medical school and pass a board examination[iii]. The same is true for chiropractors; a Doctor of Chiropractic (D.C.) degree typically takes 4-years to complete[iv]. Medical School may take 4 years, however there may be an internship and residency component that might add anywhere from 3-7 years. [v]
Are online medical specialties doctorate programs accredited?
Whether an institution or program is accredited depends on the school. Accreditation is a voluntary quality control process through which an
institution is vetted against industry educational and professional standards. To find out whether your alternative medicine or premed school is accredited, you should visit the U.S. Department of Education for status. If you plan to seek financial aid, one of the stipulations is that you be enrolled in an eligible program[vi].
DID YOU KNOW? 381 Professional Doctorate Degrees in Alternative and Complementary Medicine were awarded in 2014.[vii]
Why Consider Online Medical Specialties Doctorate Degree Programs?
Online Medical Specialties Doctorate Degree programs may be worth considering if you are looking for a learning format with some flexibility. Other reasons that may be motivating might include positive employment projections:
- Per the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment outlook for physicians and surgeons is favorable; a 14% growth rate from 2014 to 2024 is predicted[viii].
- Per the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment outlook for other health diagnosing and treating practitioners is favorable; a 17% growth rate from 2014 to 2024 is predicted.[ix]
Potential Features of Online Doctorate Degree Programs
Online Medical Specialties Doctorate Degree programs are not all formatted the same but do have a web-based component. When evaluating a program, make sure to read through the description on the school’s website or contact them for full details. You want to know what is involved. Some of the potential features of some online md degree or mind-body doctoral degree program might include:
- Some doctorate degree programs may be based on a module style and self-pacing. The module may be divided into courses which make use of different digital media; study guides, books, audio, video, CD/ROM, and supplemental textbooks;
- Students may be assigned an academic advisor or counselor to assist with the distance learning process;
- Doctorate degree candidates may have to sit for a proctored examination once their courses have been completed;
- Students may be required to complete a certain number of credits in practical, residential or clinical training;
- Where a Ph.D. dissertation is required, students may have a mentor to assist with the process;
- Where a clinical externship is required, students may have an instructor (preceptor) who is there to observe them as they work towards fulfilling clinical requirements;
- Some universities may have affiliations with clinics where a student might, upon approval from a Dean or Clinical Director, be able to complete his or her clinical requirements.
Find Online Doctorate Degrees in Medical Specialties
Search our site to look through sponsored listings for online Alternative Medicine doctorate degree programs or online medicine and premed doctorate degree programs.
Online Alternative Medicine Doctorate Degree Programs
An online Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM)[x] degree program might include a doctorate degree in:
- Chiropractic Medicine
- Energy Therapy
- Oriental Medicine
- Mind-Body Medicine
Online Medicine and Premed Programs
An Online Premed Program might include an option such as the BHMS degree, or Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery. This type of program might take about 5 1/2 years to complete including a one year internship and may be followed, where applicable, with a Doctor of Medicine degree.
Take the Next Step
Recent reports indicate that “Up to 50% of online college students would not have, probably would not have, or are unsure whether they would have attended their current program if the program were not offered online”[xi]. If that resonates, make sure to review sponsored listings for online medical specialties doctoral programs. It is easy to request info from prospective schools straight off our site; a convenient option for busy and bright potential candidates like you!
sources: [i] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/home.htm |[ii] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/physicians-and-surgeons.htm |[iii] bls.gov/opub/mlr/2015/article/the-de-licensing-of-occupations-in-the-united-states.htm |[iv] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/chiropractors.htm |[v] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/chiropractors.htm |[vi] https://fafsa.ed.gov/help/fftoc03a.htm |[vii] datausa.io/profile/cip/5133/ |[viii] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/physicians-and-surgeons.htm |[ix] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/chiropractors.htm |[x] webmd.com/balance/what-is-alternative-medicine |[xi] OCS-2016-Report.pdf