Ohio Online PhD in K-12 Education
Online Ph.D. students in a K-12 Education program might study coursework in ethical leadership, how to best manage resources, and educational administration.
If you work in education, your hands are probably quite full. You’re likely precariously juggling the many top moving pieces of the educational system, and between interacting with students and parents, co-workers, and numerous others, you’re bound to be burned out by the very idea of earning a doctorate in education. But what about earning doctorate in education online?
Online doctoral programs enable you to study important subjects in depth when and where it works for you. With constant technological innovation and increasing consumer demand for online education, the days that you have to live in the city, leave your career, or move to another area to engage in rigorous and high-quality academia are quickly disappearing. Here instead are numerous opportunities to study what you want with the convenience of designing a schedule that truly works for you.
Online PhD in K-12 Education Benefits
Some of the potential benefits of earning your doctorate of education online may include:
- The ability to go to the school of your choice, no matter its location. When you’re earning a doctorate degree in education, you want to attend a reputable and quality school. Having the capacity to “attend” any school that offers a doctorate in education online may be a boon.
- The ability to design your class-time and studies around your career, family, and other obligations. Not only will you save time by not having to drive to campus multiple times per week, you’ll also be able to “attend” class and complete your work over your lunch break, in the evenings, or even at 2 in the morning. With online education, you can truly prioritize your education and your other obligations.
- The ability to learn new technologies and see how you might apply them to your own educational setting. Let’s face it—teachers and professionals in the field of education often learn by observing other professionals in the same field. Using popular online interfaces to earn such a prestigious degree can give you great ideas for technical applications in your current place of employment.
- The ability to learn something and apply it in practice the very next day. Students who take a break from work to earn their doctorate degrees often lose the chance to apply knowledge as they obtain it. Not the case for students in an online doctoral of education program. You can apply theory and philosophy to practice even as you learn how to assess the application’s results.
Doctorate in Education Online Coursework and Curriculum
Whether you want to earn your EdD or PhD, there may be amazing options in online education for you. Through online programs, soon-to-be Doctors of Education engage in cutting-edge studies in areas such as:
- Adult education
- Curriculum studies
- Educational leadership
- Educational policy studies
- Educational psychology
- History, philosophy, and comparative education
- Inquiry methodology
- Literacy, culture, and language education
- Learning sciences
Students engage in an in-depth study of these subjects through online interfaces that incorporate many of today’s newest technologies. They use such technologies to complete core and elective coursework with the guidance and support of faculty and classmates. In addition, doctorate students typically conduct and analyze research, write a dissertation, and take qualifying exams through the online interface, in-person interaction, and independent work. All in all, online programs end up looking much like on-campus programs, but with a greater degree of convenience and flexibility.
If earning an online doctorate in education is appealing to you, keep the following in mind:
- You should consider finding an online program that is accredited.
- You’ll need a quality computer and internet connection, with an appropriate place to “attend” class, think, and study.
- You’ll need to be a self-starter, someone who can work with little face-to-face interaction, in-person support, and strict structure.
- You’ll need to ensure you can access the resources you’ll need to complete your coursework and dissertation. If you live in a rural area, for example, you’ll need a quality library or access to high-quality research and materials.
Following these tips and your heart could lead you down an amazing path in the field of education. Best of luck to you as you take the first step into your new future!