Hybrid PhD & Doctoral Degree Programs
Hybrid PhD Programs balance the rigors of study with your personal and professional time constraints. Often referred to as ‘blended online’, ‘partially online’ or ‘executive format’, hybrid doctorate and PhD programs combine online instruction with intensive residential sessions.
Whether you are seeking advanced leadership skills or to contribute original research to your field of study, enrolling in a Hybrid Doctoral Degree or Hybrid PhD program may be the learning format you need to find the right work/life balance.
What is a Hybrid Doctoral Degree?
A hybrid doctoral degree is the highest level of academic degree that is offered in a specific learning format that bridges courses that lend themselves to online learning coupled with courses that need to be taught in person. When you think of the medical doctorate (M.D.), you know that there is a lot of book learning, research and study involved. But, as with education, psychology, counseling or even business leadership, there is also a necessary human interaction component. Here is where the blended online format steps in.
How Long is a Hybrid Doctorate of PhD Program?
Depending on the university and your field of study, a doctorate degree can take between 3 and 7 years to complete. Why the variance? For one thing, your educational background. Some hybrid Doctoral Degree programs accept students straight from their Bachelor’s degree form an accredited college. These programs may then take an additional 4 years beyond your undergraduate degree. Other programs may take students after they have completed a Master’s degree and written their thesis; these may take less time. Then again, it is going to depend whether you are in a full time or part time program. Essentially, you are looking at around 90 to 120 semester credits which is around 30 to 40 college courses.
Do I have to Earn a Doctoral Degree?
The easy answer to whether you need to earn a Doctoral degree is yes, and no. Some career fields require it. Also, if you have already earned your Master’s degree and you want to qualify for higher earnings (where applicable), you might put your hat into the ring. Especially if you want to research, innovate or lead at advanced levels. Let’s take a look at some examples:
- Psychology: Most clinical, counseling and research psychologists need a doctoral degree such as the Doctor of Psychology (PsyD), the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD in Psychology) or the education specialist degree (EdS) in the case of school psychologists.[i]
- Education: Postsecondary teachers [ii] and college presidents and superintendents tend to need a doctorate degree such as the Doctor of Education [iii]
- Technology & Computer Science: Computer and Information Research scientists need a PhD in computer science or related field such as computer engineering[iv].
- Science: Biochemists and biophysicists need a PhD to work in independent research[v]
- Nursing: For nurse leadership, many advanced practice registers nurses earn a Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) or PhD in Nursing[vi].
- Physicians & Surgeons: Need a Doctor of Medicine or related degree from medical school plus internship and residency.[vii]
- Criminal Justice: Most states require lawyers for complete a Juris Doctor (JD) degree from an American Bar Association-accredited law school[viii].
- Business: Economists often need a PhD in Economics for positions in research, business or for international organizations[ix].
Potential Features of Hybrid Doctoral Degree Programs
While each university is likely to have a different format, the commonality between Hybrid Doctoral Degree and Hybrid PhD Programs is that they are designed with working professionals in mind. These are students who want to earn their degree at a specific university but cannot relocate for the length of the program due to job, family, financial or other reasons. Some of the potential features to look for in a Hybrid Doctorate are:
- Mostly online courses to learn theory
- Web-based courses are often pre-recorded so students can self-pace
- Integrated intensives offered on-campus at regular intervals (summer, evenings, weekends)
- A cycle between intensives and online segments
- Digital library materials and resources
- Web software that connects students and professors (email, web cams etc.)
- Distance-learners can sometimes pursue a concentration area of their choice
- Same rigorous coursework as residential programs
- Field experience can usually be done in home city
- No full-time commute
- Online Discussion forums for students
- Face-to-face interaction with classmates and professors during intensives
- Some universities use a Blackboard system so students can watch lectures and interact with classmates and professors through the email so there is a sense of collaboration
- Campus component may satisfy supervision requirements in fields that require a doctorate degree for licensing (e.g. teaching, counseling, psychology)
What Types of Hybrid Doctoral Degree Programs Are There?
Hybrid Doctoral Degree programs are offered in many different fields, and usually there is a choice of two models: the professional-practice model and the research-scholar models. While both types of doctorate degrees involve coursework and research, students who earn a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in a field are usually more interested in research, academia or consulting. To this end, they are required to write and defend a dissertation which brings new insight into existing issues. Professional doctorate students are interested in practicing their profession; they may write a dissertation or paper, produce a product or portfolio of work which applies their knowledge to an existing issue.
Find a Hybrid PhD Program
Find Hybrid Doctoral Degree and Hybrid PhD programs in several easy ways on GradSchools.com. Choose your subject from the subject selection, the program format and browse the results. Or, search for graduate schools by location in your chosen field. We have sponsored listings in business, education, fine arts and design, health and medicine, liberal arts and humanities, math, science, engineering, public affairs and social sciences, religious studies and technology. A few of these options might include hybrid Doctor of Business Administration in Finance and hybrid Doctor of Computer Science –Enterprise information Systems (Executive Format). Make sure, once you click on a listing to request information from each graduate school to help you stay on top of your application process and any looming deadlines.
sources:[i] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/psychologists.htm |[ii] gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/postsecondary-teachers.htm |[iii] bls.gov/ooh/management/top-executives.htm |[iv] bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-and-information-research-scientists.htm |[v] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/biochemists-and-biophysicists.htm |[vi] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/nurse-anesthetists-nurse-midwives-and-nurse-practitioners.htm |[vii] bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/physicians-and-surgeons.htm| | [viii] bls.gov/ooh/legal/lawyers.htm |[ix] bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/economists.htm
- Saint Louis, MOSaint Louis, MO
St. Louis University
This 48 credit hour Master in Public Health program is a hybrid program, with classes provided both on campus and through distance technology. The program trains students to develop preparedness programs to address the consequences of bioterrorism and e...
- Williams Bay, WIWilliams Bay, WI
Are you an educational professional considering doctoral study and seeking a program to match your schedule? Aurora University offers two Ed.D. cohort programs, one on its Aurora campus (weeknight and Saturday classes) and one at GWC in Williams Bay,...
- Williams Bay, WI
- Aurora, IN
- Dekalb, ILDekalb, IL
Northern Illinois University
- Newport, RINewport, RI
Salve Regina University
The Master of Arts offers the humanities as a dynamic tradition of questions and methods grounded in the study of history, language and literature, the arts, ethics, philosophy, and religion. Students develop the knowledge, skills and perspective requir...
- Loma Linda, CALoma Linda, CA
Loma Linda University
For specific program information please visit our website.
- Newton Centre, MANewton Centre, MA
Andover Newton Theological School
Advanced professional degree for clergy and lay leaders who have a Master of Divinity degree or its equivalent...
- Jacksonville, ALJacksonville, AL
Jacksonville State University
The Doctor of Science degree requires a total of 60 semester credit hours.......
- El Cajon, CAEl Cajon, CA
Southern California Seminary
SCS is a private institution of higher education dedicated to teaching from the inerrant Word of God. Here you will learn about God from His book - the Bible. As a ministry of Shadow Mountain Community Church, under the leadership of Dr. David Jeremiah,...
- El Cajon, CA
- Sevilla, Spain
- El Cajon, CA
- Carpinteria, CACarpinteria, CA
Pacifica Graduate Institute
The M.A./PhD. Program in Depth Psychology with emphasis in Jungian and Archetypal Studies centers around the philosophy that the theories and practices within the Jungian tradition continue to offer valuable insights and tools into working with the psyc...
- Carpinteria, CA
- Minneapolis, MNMinneapolis, MN
The Doctor of Nursing Practice offers students a choice of two quality tracks. The post-BSN, Family Nurse Practitioner...
- Portland, MEPortland, ME
Institute for Doctoral Studies in the Visual Arts
The Institute for Doctoral Studies in the Visual Arts was founded for the sole purpose of providing doctoral studies...
- Portland, ME
- Saint Paul, MNSaint Paul, MN
St. Catherine University
Our DSW focuses on Education as Practice, preparing faculty for university-level teaching and leadership in higher education...
- Lubbock, TXLubbock, TX
Texas Tech University
The Texas Tech Doctor of Philosophy in Technical Communication and Rhetoric (TCR) is one degree offered in two modes: online or onsite. The TCR program is strong in technology, technical communication practice, rhetorical theory, rhetorical analysis, rh...
- Lubbock, TX
- Burnaby, BCBurnaby, BC
Simon Fraser University
Accessible. Well designed. Knowledgeable professional staff. Simon Fraser University's Harbour Centre Campus is a highly functional education and meeting complex. The campus, largely financed by the private sector, is comprised of more than 135,000 squa...
- Burnaby, BC
- Vancouver, BC
- Tallahassee, FLTallahassee, FL
Florida State University
Our faculty have a wide range of research interests and often students will find themselves collaborating with different faculty depending on the project at hand. The common thread between all of the faculty is their passion for understanding and imp...
- Stillwater, OKStillwater, OK
Oklahoma State University
With the growing threat of natural catastrophes, technological disasters, and terrorism, the field of fire protection and emergency management has exploded. Significant resources are devoted by all levels of government to help businesses, communities, s...
- Stillwater, OK
- Augusta, GAAugusta, GA
Georgia Regents University
Georgia Regents University, College of Nursing was the first in the state to offer the Doctor of Nursing Practice Program.
- Adelaide, AustraliaAdelaide, Australia
Flinders is a member of the Innovative Research University Australia group, and is located in the cosmopolitan coastal city of Adelaide, South Australia. The combination of flexible topic choice with internship, practicum and individual research project...
- Pomona, NJPomona, NJ
The program focuses on the integrity of leadership, on making decisions to do the right things. The primary intent of the program is to help leaders improve so that they, in turn, will help their respective organizations to improve.
- Lisle, ILLisle, IL
Designed for senior execs, this program integrates leadership, org change, and sustainability.
- Boiling Springs, NCBoiling Springs, NC
The DNP program is a 36-semester hour degree designed for nurses holding an MSN degree who are working professionals with...