Maryland Online Doctorate in Homeland Security and National Defense Programs
Online Doctorate in Homeland Security and National Defense Programs
Online Doctorate in Homeland Security and National Defense degree programs are a highly flexible means of learning about the challenges facing industrialized nations desiring to maintain domestic safety. Students may learn about proper defense tactics and how to interact with the public in emergency situations. Interested scholars may choose to pursue this course of education to enhance or jumpstart their careers in national security and related job market sectors. Graduates may find fulfilling positions and careers with private entitles as well as local, state and federal government agencies.
Abilities Online Doctorate in Homeland Security and National Defense Students Might Develop
The following list of traits may be present in interested scholars before they begin their educational program. In many cases, students may take advantage of the opportunity to further develop these traits while completing their studies. During their program, doctorate in national defense students may develop:
- Problem sensitivity: Before an issue is resolved, the homeland security [professional must first identify the problem. Problem sensitivity may be useful in this situation as the agent may intuitively pinpoint the source of the issue[i].
- Deductive reasoning: This trait involves understanding when to apply a broad generalization to a specific situation. Essentially, the student learns how to use larger concepts to resolve socialized dilemmas[ii].
- Complex problem solving: In the homeland security field, graduates may have to juggle multiple important pieces of data while attempting to resolve an issue. These complex problems involve complex problem solving to arrive at an effective solution[iii].
- Active listening: When gathering information or data, graduates may have to give their full attention to a recording or individuals. Active listening means knowing when to simply listen and when to ask questions[iv].
- Selective attention: Though graduates may need to devote their full attention to a speaking individual, selective attention requires developing the ability to block out distractions and focus on a single task[v].
Pursue a Career in Homeland Security and National Defense
After earning their Online Doctorate in Homeland Security and National Defense degree, scholars may choose to jumpstart their career any number of niches and posts. To start, gradates may consider pursing job opportunities in these areas[vi]:
- Intelligence analysis: Professional in this field analyze various sources and pieces of information and attempt to find clues to solve pending investigations or prevent future security-related events.
- Emergency management: This sector focuses on mitigation, response, preparedness and recovery in relation to catastrophic or unexpected events. These workers aim to help their clients respond better to these situations.
- Scientific studies: Using physics, chemistry, biology and other scientific disciplines, homeland security agencies try to reduce the risk of biological and chemical threats. Scientists can work in policy and research capacities.
- Infrastructure protection: Basic community functions like utilities, public health, communication, finances and transport are safeguarded to ensure the safety of average citizens.
- Business continuity: In the event of a disaster, enterprises turn to business continuity professionals to help maintain daily operations and recover from the event quickly.
- Information security: From traditional filing cabinets to digital databases, the various levels of government have plenty of sensitive information that must be protected through a myriad of means.
- Other areas: Firefighters, pilots, foreign language specials, cyber security experts and more may have homeland security or national defense backgrounds and education.
Frequently Used Tools, Software and Technology in the Homeland Security Field
The homeland security network is vast and includes the full gambit of posts and positions. Even if they use the same work processing software, the daily equipment for a border patrol officer and cyber security specialist may vary drastically. Depending on the career a graduate pursues, he or she may encounter some or all of these industry relevant tools and technology:
- Access control systems[i]
- Word processing software[i]
- Alarm systems[i]
- Audio conferencing systems[ii]
- Network security software[ii]
- Virus protection software[ii]
- Hazardous material protective gear[iii]
- Automatic call distributor[iii]
- Project management software[iii]
- Photo imaging software[v]
- Web page editing and creation programs[v]
- Database interfaces[v]
- X-ray examination equipment[vi]
- Metal detectors[vi]
- Spreadsheet software[vi]
Homeland Security Ph.D. Graduate Employment and Outlook
After earning a Online Doctorate in Homeland Security and National Defense degree, graduates may choose to pursue popular professions like emergency management, border patrol and analytical chemistry. In 2004, the United States employed 10,880 emergency management specialists and 78,300 analytical chemists[iv]. Both sectors were projected to experience greater than average job growth[iv]. At the time, the median salary for specialists and chemists respectively was $45,670 and $57,090[iv].
In 2006, the country employed 11,400 border patrol agents with an average salary between $25,195 and $31,209[iv]. Most posts are held in California, New Mexico, Texas and Arizona[iv]. Additionally, agents must retire by age 57, which creates good job opportunities for graduates who may purse this career[iv].
Source: [i] onetonline.org/link/summary/11-9199.07 | [ii] onetonline.org/link/summary/13-1199.02 | [iii] onetonline.org/link/summary/11-9161.00 | [iv] onetonline.org/link/summary/11-9161.00 | [v] .bls.gov/careeroutlook/2006/summer/art01.pdf | [vi] onetonline.org/link/summary/33-3021.06 | [vii] onetonline.org/link/summary/33-9093.00
Walden UniversityUpcoming Start Date: February 25, 2019
Are you prepared to influence and advance the future of business practice? Walden University’s ACBSP-accredited Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) program examines some of the challenges and prospects that currently exist in the dynamic wo...
Walden UniversityUpcoming Start Date: February 25, 2019
Change your world and the world around you with a Ph.D. in Public Policy and Administration from Walden University.