ESL TESOL PhD Programs & Grad Schools in South Dakota
Professional instructors of English as a second language may wish to earn a PhD in ESL TESOL. A doctoral degree in education is typically meant for practicing educators who want to learn about education theory and research within their specialty, and how to apply it.
What is an ESL TESOL degree?
ESL TESOL is English as a Secondary Language, Teaching English as a Second or Other Language and is a type of degree earned for those who wish to teach others the English language. These are English courses being taught to those living in the U.S. who do not have English as their first language.
Earning your Doctorate in ESL TESOL
If you have the desire to learn more about education theory and research as it relates to the area of ESL (English as a Second Language) & TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages), then earning a doctorate in ESL/TESOL may be an option might want to consider.
Graduate schools with ESL TESOL PhD programs in South Dakota
|Doctor of Education – English Language Learning||Northcentral University||N/A|
DID YOU KNOW? ESL teachers perceived a median salary of $55,350 per year or $26.61 per hour in 2020 according to BLS.gov.
Why earn a doctorate in ESL TESOL?
ESL TESOL PhD programs are designed to help prepare higher education ESL teachers, teacher educators, supervisors, administrators, researchers and curriculum/materials developers to pursue careers in an industry that is essential to the education system. But more importantly, they are designed to help prepare students to be able to research all facets of ESL/TESOL and to formally prepare ESL teachers.
PhD in ESL TESOL Programs
Many of the doctoral level programs you’ll find in universities across the country are associated with a school’s department of English, linguistics or education. Students who are interested in earning a PhD in ESL TESOL should research the various programs available to them and then decide what type of doctoral degree is best suited to their needs.
A PhD in TESOL, a PhD in Applied Linguistics or an EdD in ESL are three options that may be available to students, but there are other variations of doctorate degrees that you may want to explore.
Some colleges offer a PhD in education with a TESOL certification. However, in other schools you can take the school’s language, literacy and culture concentration. This type of program leads to a PhD in language, literacy and culture, with a TESOL focus, while other universities offer doctoral degrees in curriculum and instruction with a specialization in TESOL.
What are the Teaching Goals of Doctorate Programs in ESL TESOL?
The goals of PhD programs in ESL/TESOL are based on providing students with the knowledge and skills to oversee ESL programs, conduct the research, or teach at the university level.
There are other teaching goals that are equally important to remember as you study for your doctorate in ESL/TESOL and that many colleges and universities follow as they educate or train students to respect and appreciate all languages and cultures. They include the following:
- Provide students with a strong knowledge base in TESOL theory, second language acquisition, and applied linguistics research.
- Have students apply TESOL and second language acquisition theory and research to TESOL methodology.
- Ensure that they can understand and evaluate the professional literature that has been published on TESOL.
- Have students conduct and evaluate original field research and then present their findings.
- Have them acquire a deep understanding of the role of linguistics in TESOL and the impact of the social and cultural factors that need to be considered when learning and teaching a second language.
- Provide students with a strong knowledge base in TESOL program design, development and evaluation.
- Help them develop the knowledge and skills to design, implement and evaluate teacher-training programs for ESL instructors.
- Teach them how to integrate technology into TESOL instruction and learning.
- Encourage them to be advocates of the TESOL profession.
Why Study for a PhD in ESL TESOL?
Pursuing a PhD in ESL TESOL may prove to be a worthwhile endeavor if you are truly interested in the science behind second language acquisition and learning in detail the teaching and learning techniques that are essential to this specialized area of education. So, if you already hold a master’s degree in ESL/TESOL the next logical step may be to earn that PhD.
|State||Employment||Annual Mean Wage|
|Metro Area||Annual Mean Salary||Employment|
|Des Moines-West Des Moines, IA||$110,620||140|
|Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA||$109,500||540|
GradSchools.com Offers PhD programs in ESL TESOL in South Dakota