Virginia Doctorate in Education Programs & PhD EdD Degree Programs
A Doctorate in Education degree program places greater emphasis on furthering knowledge in the field through original research, which might be conducted through a university or in the lab of a private, public or nonprofit organization. A doctorate in education, also known as an EdD degree, seeks to prepare graduates for more hands-on leadership roles, applying existing research and knowledge to real world issues and organizations. Both degrees offer the opportunity to contribute in important ways to education at all levels.
Concentration Options for Doctorate in Education Students: Teaching
Many students choose to work towards a degree in education because they hope to teach someday. Graduates with a PhD or doctorate in education might find work in various levels of academia.
- Early Childhood Education – Preschool and kindergarten teachers design and present activities to foster physical, social and intellectual growth in children under six years of age. They also work to prepare these students for the academic, behavioral and social demands of primary school. In 2012, the median pay for a preschool teacher was $27,130 per year[i].
- Elementary Education – Kindergarten and elementary school teachers build the foundation of a student’s academic experience, instructing children in the basics of reading, writing and mathematics. They also introduce students to important concepts in science, social studies and the arts. The median pay for an elementary teacher in 2012 was $53,090 per year[ii].
- Secondary Education – Students who choose to educate adolescents at the junior or senior high school level typically focus on a particular field of study, such as language arts, mathematics or social studies. They might teach several classes a day and could be responsible for overseeing extracurricular activities and clubs as well. The median pay for a high school teacher in the U.S. in 2012 was $55,050 per year[iii].
- Post-secondary Education – Post-secondary education includes career and vocational schools, professional schools, junior or community colleges, and public and private colleges and universities. At this level graduates of education programs might teach students who are also preparing for careers in education. They might provide instruction in the principles of effective instruction, cognitive development, classroom management and other topics related to education. They may also conduct research, publish academic papers and advise students. In 2012 the median pay for a post-secondary teacher was $68,970 per year[iv].
- Special Education – Special education teachers work at all levels of education to help students with learning, behavioral, emotional, mental and physical disabilities to pursue their academic potential. They might also work with gifted populations. Special education teachers may adapt content and instruction to meet the needs of their students, and may also provide instruction in important life skills. In 2012 the median salary for this type of teacher was $55,060 per year[v].
Concentration Options for Doctorate in Education Students : Education Administration
Some students choose to work toward a PhD in Education or EdD degree with the goal of entering school administration. In this concentration, too, graduates may seek careers at any level.
- Elementary and Secondary School Administration – Administrators in elementary and secondary schools manage many school operations. They may coordinate curricula, oversee teacher and student performance, manage daily school activities, and interact with parents and community members. The median salary for elementary and secondary school administrators in 2012 was $87,760[vi].
- Post-secondary Education Administrators – At the post-secondary level education administrators typically oversee the education department in a public or private college or university, although they might find work in the administrative offices that oversee an entire institution. A post-secondary administrator may develop academic policies, oversee recruitment efforts, monitor teacher and student performance, participate in admissions and faculty appointment decisions, and weigh in on budgetary issues. In 2012, this type of position garnered a median salary of $86,490[vii].
Concentration Options for Doctorate in Education Students: Instructional Coordinators
Students who are interested in creating the curricula and learning materials that will be used by students and teachers throughout a school or district may choose coursework that emphasizes the principles of instructional design and coordination. There are many job titles for this type of work, including Curriculum Specialist, Program Administrator, Instructional Designer and Instructional Systems Specialist. Duties may include coordinating educational content, developing instructional materials and incorporating current technology in instruction and assessment. The median salary for this type of position in 2012 was $60,050[viii].
Reasons to Earn a Doctorate in Education
Graduates from a doctorate in education program may find opportunities to contribute to the lives of students of all ages in meaningful and important ways. Earning a degree in education can lead to many exciting career opportunities. Whether you choose to instruct preschoolers, administer university programs or conduct research as college professors, by completing a doctorate in education you may be prepared to pursue a rewarding career in this essential field.
Resources:[i] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/preschool-teachers.htm | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/kindergarten-and-elementary-school-teachers.htm [iii] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/high-school-teachers.htm | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/postsecondary-teachers.htm [v] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/special-education-teachers.htm [vi] bls.gov/ooh/management/elementary-middle-and-high-school-principals.htm [vii] bls.gov/ooh/management/postsecondary-education-administrators.htm [viii] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/instructional-coordinators.htm
Liberty University Online
Liberty University’s Education Specialist program is designed to prepare competent and effective leaders, like you, with a Christian worldview who will model high academic standards and assume a leadership role in the field of education. Course...
- Williamsburg, VAWilliamsburg, VA
College of William and Mary
The M.Ed. Program in Educational Leadership includes an emphasis in Higher Education Administration. This program is designed to prepare students for leadership and service positions in colleges, universities, community colleges, government agencies, re...
- Williamsburg, VA
- Blacksburg, VABlacksburg, VA
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Graduates of the Engineering Education Ph.D. program will be able to conduct and direct research in engineering education, develop, review, and critique effective research designs, effectively teach engineering subjects, design and assess engineering co...
- Blacksburg, VA
- Falls Church, VA
Are you a teacher? Would you like to get your Masters Degree - But you can't leave home...Why not get your masters degree through the Regent University School of Education Master Educator Program. You can get your degree at home, On-Line!...
- Newport News, VANewport News, VA
The George Washington University
This doctoral program prepares students for leadership responsibilities within all facets of the educational arena.
- Harrisonburg, VAHarrisonburg, VA
James Madison University
This innovative doctoral program develops organizational leaders through an interdisciplinary curriculum and experiential learning...
- Richmond, VARichmond, VA
Union Theological Seminary & Presbyterian School of Christian Education
The first masters programs train pastors, educators, and scholars for the church. They require a Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university. The Ph.D., and Th.M. require an appropriate masters degree. The M.A.C.E. program offer...
- Lynchburg, VALynchburg, VA
Liberty University's Doctor of Education program provides advanced training for individuals seeking positions in higher educ...
- Lynchburg, VA