Doctorate in Education Programs & PhD EdD Degree Programs in Alaska
What are Doctorate in Education Programs & PhD EdD Degree Programs?
A Doctorate in Education degree program places greater emphasis on furthering knowledge in the field through original research, which might be conducted through a university or in the lab of a private, public or nonprofit organization. A doctorate in education, also known as an EdD degree, seeks to prepare graduates for more hands-on leadership roles, applying existing research and knowledge to real world issues and organizations. Both degrees offer the opportunity to contribute in important ways to education at all levels.
Graduate schools with Education Graduate Doctorate Programs in Alaska
Concentration Options for Doctorate in Education Students: Teaching
Many students choose to work towards a degree in education because they hope to teach someday. Graduates with a PhD or doctorate in education might find work in various levels of academia.
- Early Childhood Education – Preschool and kindergarten teachers design and present activities to foster physical, social and intellectual growth in children under six years of age. They also work to prepare these students for the academic, behavioral and social demands of primary school. In 2020, the median pay for a preschool teacher was $31,930 per year according to the BLS.
- Elementary Education – Kindergarten and elementary school teachers build the foundation of a student’s academic experience, instructing children in the basics of reading, writing and mathematics. They also introduce students to important concepts in science, social studies and the arts. The median pay for an elementary teacher in 2020 was $60,940 per year according to the BLS.
- Secondary Education – Students who choose to educate adolescents at the junior or senior high school level typically focus on a particular field of study, such as language arts, mathematics or social studies. They might teach several classes a day and could be responsible for overseeing extracurricular activities and clubs as well. The median pay for a high school teacher in the U.S. in 2020 was $67,340 per year according to the BLS.
- Post-secondary Education – Post-secondary education includes career and vocational schools, professional schools, junior or community colleges, and public and private colleges and universities. At this level graduates of education programs might teach students who are also preparing for careers in education. They might provide instruction in the principles of effective instruction, cognitive development, classroom management and other topics related to education. They may also conduct research, publish academic papers and advise students. In 2020 the median pay for a post-secondary teacher was $80,560 per year according to the BLS.
- Special Education – Special education teachers work at all levels of education to help students with learning, behavioral, emotional, mental and physical disabilities to pursue their academic potential. They might also work with gifted populations. Special education teachers may adapt content and instruction to meet the needs of their students, and may also provide instruction in important life skills. In 2020 the median salary for this type of teacher was $66,490 per year according to the BLS .
|State||Employment||Annual Mean Wage|
|Metro Area||Annual Mean Salary||Employment|
|Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA||$81,690||490|
|New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA||$79,520||4,350|
Concentration Options for Doctorate in Education Students : Education Administration
Some students choose to work toward a PhD in Education or EdD degree with the goal of entering school administration. In this concentration, too, graduates may seek careers at any level. These include elementary and secondary administration or post-secondary administration.
- Elementary and Secondary School Administration – Administrators in elementary and secondary schools manage many school operations. They may coordinate curricula, oversee teacher and student performance, manage daily school activities, and interact with parents and community members. The median salary for elementary and secondary school administrators in 2020 was $98,490 according to the BLS.
- Post-secondary Education Administrators – At the post-secondary level education administrators typically oversee the education department in a public or private college or university, although they might find work in the administrative offices that oversee an entire institution. A post-secondary administrator may develop academic policies, oversee recruitment efforts, monitor teacher and student performance, participate in admissions and faculty appointment decisions, and weigh in on budgetary issues. In 2020, this type of position garnered a median salary of $97,500 according to the BLS.
Concentration Options for Doctorate in Education Students: Instructional Coordinators
Students who are interested in creating the curricula and learning materials that will be used by students and teachers throughout a school or district may choose coursework that emphasizes the principles of instructional design and coordination. There are many job titles for this type of work, including Curriculum Specialist, Program Administrator, Instructional Designer and Instructional Systems Specialist. Duties may include coordinating educational content, developing instructional materials and incorporating current technology in instruction and assessment. The median salary for this type of position in 2020 was $66,970 according to the BLS.
Reasons to Earn a Doctorate in Education
Graduates from a doctorate in education program may find opportunities to contribute to the lives of students of all ages in meaningful and important ways. Earning a degree in education can lead to many exciting career opportunities. Whether you choose to instruct preschoolers, administer university programs or conduct research as college professors, by completing a doctorate in education you may be prepared to pursue a rewarding career in this essential field. Want to avoid taking the GRE? You can find Online EdD programs that don't require a GRE!
Learn more about Education Doctorate programs that can be completed in 2 years or less. Two-year EdD programs may let you study in an accelerated format. Whereas some EdD programs can take 3+ years, two-year programs aim to streamline your learning and are typically designed for students who have already earned their M.Ed.
GradSchools.com offers Graduate Schools with Education Graduate Doctorate Programs in Alaska
Grand Canyon University
Notre Dame of Maryland University
The Chicago School of Professional Psychology