United States Doctorate in Education Programs & PhD EdD Degree Programs
A Doctorate in Education degree program places greater emphasis on furthering knowledge in the field through original research, which might be conducted through a university or in the lab of a private, public or nonprofit organization. A doctorate in education, also known as an EdD degree, seeks to prepare graduates for more hands-on leadership roles, applying existing research and knowledge to real world issues and organizations. Both degrees offer the opportunity to contribute in important ways to education at all levels.
Concentration Options for Doctorate in Education Students: Teaching
Many students choose to work towards a degree in education because they hope to teach someday. Graduates with a PhD or doctorate in education might find work in various levels of academia.
- Early Childhood Education – Preschool and kindergarten teachers design and present activities to foster physical, social and intellectual growth in children under six years of age. They also work to prepare these students for the academic, behavioral and social demands of primary school. In 2012, the median pay for a preschool teacher was $27,130 per year[i].
- Elementary Education – Kindergarten and elementary school teachers build the foundation of a student’s academic experience, instructing children in the basics of reading, writing and mathematics. They also introduce students to important concepts in science, social studies and the arts. The median pay for an elementary teacher in 2012 was $53,090 per year[ii].
- Secondary Education – Students who choose to educate adolescents at the junior or senior high school level typically focus on a particular field of study, such as language arts, mathematics or social studies. They might teach several classes a day and could be responsible for overseeing extracurricular activities and clubs as well. The median pay for a high school teacher in the U.S. in 2012 was $55,050 per year[iii].
- Post-secondary Education – Post-secondary education includes career and vocational schools, professional schools, junior or community colleges, and public and private colleges and universities. At this level graduates of education programs might teach students who are also preparing for careers in education. They might provide instruction in the principles of effective instruction, cognitive development, classroom management and other topics related to education. They may also conduct research, publish academic papers and advise students. In 2012 the median pay for a post-secondary teacher was $68,970 per year[iv].
- Special Education – Special education teachers work at all levels of education to help students with learning, behavioral, emotional, mental and physical disabilities to pursue their academic potential. They might also work with gifted populations. Special education teachers may adapt content and instruction to meet the needs of their students, and may also provide instruction in important life skills. In 2012 the median salary for this type of teacher was $55,060 per year[v].
Concentration Options for Doctorate in Education Students : Education Administration
Some students choose to work toward a PhD in Education or EdD degree with the goal of entering school administration. In this concentration, too, graduates may seek careers at any level.
- Elementary and Secondary School Administration – Administrators in elementary and secondary schools manage many school operations. They may coordinate curricula, oversee teacher and student performance, manage daily school activities, and interact with parents and community members. The median salary for elementary and secondary school administrators in 2012 was $87,760[vi].
- Post-secondary Education Administrators – At the post-secondary level education administrators typically oversee the education department in a public or private college or university, although they might find work in the administrative offices that oversee an entire institution. A post-secondary administrator may develop academic policies, oversee recruitment efforts, monitor teacher and student performance, participate in admissions and faculty appointment decisions, and weigh in on budgetary issues. In 2012, this type of position garnered a median salary of $86,490[vii].
Concentration Options for Doctorate in Education Students: Instructional Coordinators
Students who are interested in creating the curricula and learning materials that will be used by students and teachers throughout a school or district may choose coursework that emphasizes the principles of instructional design and coordination. There are many job titles for this type of work, including Curriculum Specialist, Program Administrator, Instructional Designer and Instructional Systems Specialist. Duties may include coordinating educational content, developing instructional materials and incorporating current technology in instruction and assessment. The median salary for this type of position in 2012 was $60,050[viii].
Reasons to Earn a Doctorate in Education
Graduates from a doctorate in education program may find opportunities to contribute to the lives of students of all ages in meaningful and important ways. Earning a degree in education can lead to many exciting career opportunities. Whether you choose to instruct preschoolers, administer university programs or conduct research as college professors, by completing a doctorate in education you may be prepared to pursue a rewarding career in this essential field. Want to avoid taking the GRE? You can find Online EdD programs that don't require a GRE!
Learn more about Education Doctorate programs that can be completed in 2 years or less. Two-year EdD programs may let you study in an accelerated format. Whereas some EdD programs can take 3+ years, two-year programs aim to streamline your learning and are typically designed for students who have already earned their M.Ed.
Resources:[i] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/preschool-teachers.htm | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/kindergarten-and-elementary-school-teachers.htm [iii] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/high-school-teachers.htm | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/postsecondary-teachers.htm [v] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/special-education-teachers.htm [vi] bls.gov/ooh/management/elementary-middle-and-high-school-principals.htm [vii] bls.gov/ooh/management/postsecondary-education-administrators.htm [viii] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/instructional-coordinators.htm
Northcentral UniversityDoctor of Philosophy in Education - Early Childhood Education Doctor of Education - Leadership in Higher Education Education Specialist - Early Childhood Education Doctor of Education - English Language Learning Education Specialist - Learning Analytics in K-12 Education Doctor of Philosophy in Education - Special Education Doctor of Education - International Education Education Specialist - International Education Education Specialist in Educational Leadership Education Specialist - Special Education Doctor of Education - Early Childhood Education Doctor of Education - Special Education Doctor of Education - General Education Education Specialist - Curriculum and Teaching Doctor of Philosophy in Education - English Language Learning Doctor of Philosophy in Education - E-Learning Doctor of Philosophy in Education - International Education Education Specialist - Global Training and Development Doctor of Education - Instructional Leadership Doctor of Philosophy in Education - Leadership in Higher Education Education Specialist - General Education Education Specialist - Organizational Leadership Doctor of Education - Organizational Leadership Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership Doctor of Education - E-Learning
Walden UniversityDoctor of Education (EdD) - Early Childhood Education Doctor of Education (EdD) - Higher Education & Adult Learning Doctor of Education (EdD) - Educational Administration & Leadership (For Administrators) Doctor of Education (EdD) - Educational Administration & Leadership (Non-Licensure) Doctor of Education (EdD) - Higher Education Leadership & Management Doctor of Education (EdD) - Educational Technology Doctor of Education (EdD) - Community College Leadership Doctor of Education (EdD) - Special Education Doctor of Education (EdD) - Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment Doctor of Education (EdD) - Reading, Literacy & Assessment Doctor of Education – P-20 Education (Self-Designed) PhD in Education – P-20 Education (Self-Designed) PhD in Psychology - BS Entry - Educational Psychology PhD in Education - Reading, Literacy, Assessment & Evaluation PhD in Education - Learning, Instruction & Innovation PhD in Criminal Justice - Online Teaching in Higher Education PhD in Education - Curriculum, Instruction, Assessment & Evaluation PhD in Education - Early Childhood Leadership & Advocacy PhD in Education - Early Childhood Special Education PhD in Education - Education Policy, Leadership & Management PhD in Education - Educational Technology & Design PhD in Education - Higher Education Leadership, Management & Policy PhD in Education - Organizational Research, Assessment & Evaluation
Ashford UniversityDoctor of Philosophy in Organziational Development and Leadership - Training and E-Learning Doctor of Philosophy in Education Doctor of Psychology - Educational Leadership
Concordia University-PortlandEdD in Educational Leadership - Instructional Leadership EdD in Educational Leadership - Transformational Leadership EdD in Professional Leadership, Inquiry, and Transformation EdD in Educational Leadership - Higher Education EdD in Educational Leadership - Administrative Leadership
Nova Southeastern UniversitySchool Psychology, Psy.D.
The Chicago School of Professional PsychologyPh.D. Counselor Education and Supervision Psy.D. School Psychology
National Louis UniversityEdD Higher Education Leadership
Grand Canyon UniversityEd. S. in K-12 Leadership Ed.D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Higher Education Leadership Ed.D. in Organizational Leadership in with an Emphasis in K-12 Leadership Ed. D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Special Education Ed.D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Behavioral Health Doctor of Education in Teaching and Learning with an Emphasis in Adult Learning Ed.D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Organizational Development Ph.D. in General Psychology with an Emphasis in Integrating Technology, Learning, and Psychology
Colorado Technical UniversityDoctor of Management - Private Sector Higher Education Leadership Doctor of Management - Higher Education Teaching and Learning
Saint Mary's University of MinnesotaEd.S. in Educational Administration Ed.D. in Leadership
Liberty University OnlinePHD Education: Educational Law Education Specialist: Curriculum and Instruction Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction/Elementary Education Doctor of Philosophy in Higher Education Administration: Education Leadership Education Specialist: Educational Leadership Doctor of Education: Educational Leadership Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction EDD Doctor of Education: Educational Leadership
Union Institute and UniversityPH.D. in Interdisciplinary Studies
Trident University InternationalEducational Leadership (Ph.D.) Educational Leadership (Ed. D.)
Colorado State UniversityHigher Education Leadership - Ph.D.
St. John Fisher CollegeEd.D in Executive Leadership
Biblical Theological SeminaryLeadership
Miami UniversityEducational Administration College Student Personnel (M.S. degree) and Student Affairs in Higher Education (Ph.D.)
Middle Tennessee State UniversityPhysical Education
Mississippi CollegeEducational Leadership
Southern Connecticut State UniversityEducational Leadership
North Carolina State UniversityTechnology Education Agricultural and Extension Education Mathematics Education Educational Administration and Supervision Counselor Education Science Education Curriculum and Instruction Education Research and Policy Analysis
Athabasca UniversityDoctor of Education (EdD) in Distance Education
University of Southern CaliforniaDoctor of Education in Educational Leadership (Ed.D.) Doctor of Education - Doctorate
Idaho State UniversityEducational Leadership Counseling
Immaculata UniversityEducational Leadership and Administration Doctoral of Education (Ed.D.) in Higher Education
Aurora UniversityDoctorate in Education
New England Conservatory of MusicMusic Education
Marian University-WisconsinPh.D. - Educational Administration Concentration Ph.D. - Curriculum & Instruction Leadership Concentration Ph.D. - Leadership Studies Concentration
Loyola Marymount UniversitySchool of Education