Canada Doctorate in Education Programs & PhD EdD Degree Programs
A Doctorate in Education degree program places greater emphasis on furthering knowledge in the field through original research, which might be conducted through a university or in the lab of a private, public or nonprofit organization. A doctorate in education, also known as an EdD degree, seeks to prepare graduates for more hands-on leadership roles, applying existing research and knowledge to real world issues and organizations. Both degrees offer the opportunity to contribute in important ways to education at all levels.
Concentration Options for Doctorate in Education Students: Teaching
Many students choose to work towards a degree in education because they hope to teach someday. Graduates with a PhD or doctorate in education might find work in various levels of academia.
- Early Childhood Education – Preschool and kindergarten teachers design and present activities to foster physical, social and intellectual growth in children under six years of age. They also work to prepare these students for the academic, behavioral and social demands of primary school. In 2012, the median pay for a preschool teacher was $27,130 per year[i].
- Elementary Education – Kindergarten and elementary school teachers build the foundation of a student’s academic experience, instructing children in the basics of reading, writing and mathematics. They also introduce students to important concepts in science, social studies and the arts. The median pay for an elementary teacher in 2012 was $53,090 per year[ii].
- Secondary Education – Students who choose to educate adolescents at the junior or senior high school level typically focus on a particular field of study, such as language arts, mathematics or social studies. They might teach several classes a day and could be responsible for overseeing extracurricular activities and clubs as well. The median pay for a high school teacher in the U.S. in 2012 was $55,050 per year[iii].
- Post-secondary Education – Post-secondary education includes career and vocational schools, professional schools, junior or community colleges, and public and private colleges and universities. At this level graduates of education programs might teach students who are also preparing for careers in education. They might provide instruction in the principles of effective instruction, cognitive development, classroom management and other topics related to education. They may also conduct research, publish academic papers and advise students. In 2012 the median pay for a post-secondary teacher was $68,970 per year[iv].
- Special Education – Special education teachers work at all levels of education to help students with learning, behavioral, emotional, mental and physical disabilities to pursue their academic potential. They might also work with gifted populations. Special education teachers may adapt content and instruction to meet the needs of their students, and may also provide instruction in important life skills. In 2012 the median salary for this type of teacher was $55,060 per year[v].
Concentration Options for Doctorate in Education Students : Education Administration
Some students choose to work toward a PhD in Education or EdD degree with the goal of entering school administration. In this concentration, too, graduates may seek careers at any level.
- Elementary and Secondary School Administration – Administrators in elementary and secondary schools manage many school operations. They may coordinate curricula, oversee teacher and student performance, manage daily school activities, and interact with parents and community members. The median salary for elementary and secondary school administrators in 2012 was $87,760[vi].
- Post-secondary Education Administrators – At the post-secondary level education administrators typically oversee the education department in a public or private college or university, although they might find work in the administrative offices that oversee an entire institution. A post-secondary administrator may develop academic policies, oversee recruitment efforts, monitor teacher and student performance, participate in admissions and faculty appointment decisions, and weigh in on budgetary issues. In 2012, this type of position garnered a median salary of $86,490[vii].
Concentration Options for Doctorate in Education Students: Instructional Coordinators
Students who are interested in creating the curricula and learning materials that will be used by students and teachers throughout a school or district may choose coursework that emphasizes the principles of instructional design and coordination. There are many job titles for this type of work, including Curriculum Specialist, Program Administrator, Instructional Designer and Instructional Systems Specialist. Duties may include coordinating educational content, developing instructional materials and incorporating current technology in instruction and assessment. The median salary for this type of position in 2012 was $60,050[viii].
Reasons to Earn a Doctorate in Education
Graduates from a doctorate in education program may find opportunities to contribute to the lives of students of all ages in meaningful and important ways. Earning a degree in education can lead to many exciting career opportunities. Whether you choose to instruct preschoolers, administer university programs or conduct research as college professors, by completing a doctorate in education you may be prepared to pursue a rewarding career in this essential field. Want to avoid taking the GRE? You can find Online EdD programs that don't require a GRE!
Resources:[i] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/preschool-teachers.htm | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/kindergarten-and-elementary-school-teachers.htm [iii] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/high-school-teachers.htm | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/postsecondary-teachers.htm [v] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/special-education-teachers.htm [vi] bls.gov/ooh/management/elementary-middle-and-high-school-principals.htm [vii] bls.gov/ooh/management/postsecondary-education-administrators.htm [viii] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/instructional-coordinators.htm
The first of its kind in North America, the Doctor of Education (EdD) in Distance Education is evidence of Athabasca University's global leadership in...
University of Calgary
The Doctor of Education in Higher Education Administration program is compatible with the busy lifestyle of professionals who may continue to work in...
- London, ONLondon, ON
University of Western Ontario
The M.Ed. in Counseling is primarily meant for well-qualified people who intend to take counseling leadership positions in schools, colleges, universities, or other community settings.The M.Ed. in Educational Studies is designed to provide students with...
- London, ON
- North York, ONNorth York, ON
Graduate Programs in Education at York University focus on the study of language, culture and teaching. These processes are studied in relation both to social, historical, and cultural contexts of education and to contemporary practices of pedagogy, lea...
- North York, ON
- Quebec, QCQuebec, QC
- Quebec, QC
- Montreal, QCMontreal, QC
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics of Concordia University has over thirty faculty members who specialize in Pure and Applied Mathematics, Mathematical Physics, Statistics, Actuarial Mathematics, and Mathematics Education. In addition, every y...
- Edmonton, ABEdmonton, AB
University of Alberta
The goal of the master's degree program is to prepare professionals who can work as the coordinators of all aspects of school technology programs, or who can take roles as professional developers of a broad range of multimedia products. The program is s...
- Edmonton, AB
- Otterburne, MBOtterburne, MB
Providence Theological Seminary
God's calling. What's next? Providence Theological Seminary is an evangelical institution whose purpose is to serve the Church, in the accomplishment of its mission, by preparing and supporting leaders, developing resources, and facilitating theological...
- Otterburne, MB
- Montreal, QCMontreal, QC
The Department of Educational Studies offers an M.A. (thesis/non-thesis option)in the fields of Leadership and Curriculum and is intended to serve the needs of master classroom teachers or other educational leaders who are interested in advanced profess...
- Montreal, QC
- Saskatoon, SKSaskatoon, SK
University of Saskatchewan
Programs are general in nature with specialty courses available. M.Ed. and Special Case Ph.D. programs require the completion of a ten months practicum.
- Saskatoon, SK
- Kingston, NSKingston, NS
Queen's University, Ontario, Canada
The program of study leading to the Ph.D.