Doctorate in Education Programs & PhD EdD Degree Programs
A Doctorate in Education degree program places greater emphasis on furthering knowledge in the field through original research, which might be conducted through a university or in the lab of a private, public or nonprofit organization. A doctorate in education, also known as an EdD degree, seeks to prepare graduates for more hands-on leadership roles, applying existing research and knowledge to real world issues and organizations. Both degrees offer the opportunity to contribute in important ways to education at all levels.
Concentration Options for Doctorate in Education Students: Teaching
Many students choose to work towards a degree in education because they hope to teach someday. Graduates with a PhD or doctorate in education might find work in various levels of academia.
- Early Childhood Education – Preschool and kindergarten teachers design and present activities to foster physical, social and intellectual growth in children under six years of age. They also work to prepare these students for the academic, behavioral and social demands of primary school. In 2012, the median pay for a preschool teacher was $27,130 per year[i].
- Elementary Education – Kindergarten and elementary school teachers build the foundation of a student’s academic experience, instructing children in the basics of reading, writing and mathematics. They also introduce students to important concepts in science, social studies and the arts. The median pay for an elementary teacher in 2012 was $53,090 per year[ii].
- Secondary Education – Students who choose to educate adolescents at the junior or senior high school level typically focus on a particular field of study, such as language arts, mathematics or social studies. They might teach several classes a day and could be responsible for overseeing extracurricular activities and clubs as well. The median pay for a high school teacher in the U.S. in 2012 was $55,050 per year[iii].
- Post-secondary Education – Post-secondary education includes career and vocational schools, professional schools, junior or community colleges, and public and private colleges and universities. At this level graduates of education programs might teach students who are also preparing for careers in education. They might provide instruction in the principles of effective instruction, cognitive development, classroom management and other topics related to education. They may also conduct research, publish academic papers and advise students. In 2012 the median pay for a post-secondary teacher was $68,970 per year[iv].
- Special Education – Special education teachers work at all levels of education to help students with learning, behavioral, emotional, mental and physical disabilities to pursue their academic potential. They might also work with gifted populations. Special education teachers may adapt content and instruction to meet the needs of their students, and may also provide instruction in important life skills. In 2012 the median salary for this type of teacher was $55,060 per year[v].
Concentration Options for Doctorate in Education Students : Education Administration
Some students choose to work toward a PhD in Education or EdD degree with the goal of entering school administration. In this concentration, too, graduates may seek careers at any level.
- Elementary and Secondary School Administration – Administrators in elementary and secondary schools manage many school operations. They may coordinate curricula, oversee teacher and student performance, manage daily school activities, and interact with parents and community members. The median salary for elementary and secondary school administrators in 2012 was $87,760[vi].
- Post-secondary Education Administrators – At the post-secondary level education administrators typically oversee the education department in a public or private college or university, although they might find work in the administrative offices that oversee an entire institution. A post-secondary administrator may develop academic policies, oversee recruitment efforts, monitor teacher and student performance, participate in admissions and faculty appointment decisions, and weigh in on budgetary issues. In 2012, this type of position garnered a median salary of $86,490[vii].
Concentration Options for Doctorate in Education Students: Instructional Coordinators
Students who are interested in creating the curricula and learning materials that will be used by students and teachers throughout a school or district may choose coursework that emphasizes the principles of instructional design and coordination. There are many job titles for this type of work, including Curriculum Specialist, Program Administrator, Instructional Designer and Instructional Systems Specialist. Duties may include coordinating educational content, developing instructional materials and incorporating current technology in instruction and assessment. The median salary for this type of position in 2012 was $60,050[viii].
Reasons to Earn a Doctorate in Education
Graduates from a doctorate in education program may find opportunities to contribute to the lives of students of all ages in meaningful and important ways. Earning a degree in education can lead to many exciting career opportunities. Whether you choose to instruct preschoolers, administer university programs or conduct research as college professors, by completing a doctorate in education you may be prepared to pursue a rewarding career in this essential field. Want to avoid taking the GRE? You can find Online EdD programs that don't require a GRE!
Resources:[i] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/preschool-teachers.htm | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/kindergarten-and-elementary-school-teachers.htm [iii] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/high-school-teachers.htm | [iv] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/postsecondary-teachers.htm [v] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/special-education-teachers.htm [vi] bls.gov/ooh/management/elementary-middle-and-high-school-principals.htm [vii] bls.gov/ooh/management/postsecondary-education-administrators.htm [viii] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/instructional-coordinators.htm
Northcentral UniversityUpcoming Start Date: December 17, 2018
In NCU’s EdD in Learning Analytics in Higher Education specialization, students will learn the history of data analytics, proper identification, utility, and use of relevant data.
Arkansas State University
Arkansas State University offers an affordable online Education Specialist program in Educational Leadership with an emphasis in Special Education for special education teachers who possess a master's degree.
"Do you aspire to drive transformative educational change in your institution and community? Designed for practitioners and administrators from P-12 to higher education, Walden University’s online Doctor of Education (EdD) program...
- Boca Raton, FLBoca Raton, FL
As a student at Lynn, earning your Ed.D. helps you become a leader in metropolitan education systems for grades kindergarten through 12.
The Chicago School of Professional PsychologyUpcoming Start Date: January 07, 2019
The online Ed.D. in Educational Psychology and Technology prepares students to improve learning outcomes by applying evidence-based research to practice in organizations and the classroom.
- Chicago, IL
This fully online Doctorate degree program develops transformational leaders inside and outside the education sector. This three year accredited EdD program consists of courses eight weeks in length, limited to a cohort of 15 candidates to maintain...
- Newton, MANewton, MA
William James College
The School Psychology PsyD program is NASP-approved and APA-accredited. This program prepares practitioners to assume leadership roles in the education field, with an emphasis on the delivery of mental health services in schools...
Liberty University OnlineUpcoming Start Date: January 14, 2019
Liberty University Online’s Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) offers advanced training for individuals seeking a role in higher education. With the purpose of developing skilled and effective leaders, the program is a model of high academic sta...
Grand Canyon University
Colorado Technical University
Colorado Technical University’s Doctor of Management (DM) degree program in Private Sector Higher Education Leadership is designed for individuals who would like to serve in senior level academic positions in private institutions.
- Colorado Springs, CO
- Greenwood Village, CO
- Cincinnati, OHCincinnati, OH
Union Institute and University
Union Institute & University’s doctoral program plays a distinctive role in American higher education. Grounded in humanistic inquiry...
- Cincinnati, OH
- Sacramento, CA
- Brattleboro, VT
- Los Angeles, CA
- North Miami Beach, FL
- Chicago, ILChicago, IL
Loyola University Chicago
The Ed.D. degree in Curriculum and Instruction is designed for certified teachers seeking to become learning specialists in a selected area of the field of education, to advance within their career and to meet recertification requirements. The Ed.D degr...
- Chicago, IL
- Fort Collins, COFort Collins, CO
Colorado State University
In this Ph.D. program students develop the competencies needed to successfully and ethically lead higher education institutions.
- Muncie, INMuncie, IN
Ball State University
If you could choose the ideal college -- one that provided you powerful resources (world classfaculty, facilities, technology, and academics) for personal learning (small classes, with extensive faculty interaction and contact) -- you would choose Ball...
- Muncie, IN
The first of its kind in North America, the Doctor of Education (EdD) in Distance Education is evidence of Athabasca University's global leadership in...
- Rochester, NYRochester, NY
St. John Fisher College
The Ed.D. program in Executive Leadership program at St.
- Hatfield, PAHatfield, PA
Biblical Theological Seminary
The Premier MDiv is our biblical language-rich program where you will become an intellectually vibrant professional. Our LEAD Master of Divinity meets one night a week, one Saturday a month. Two programs offered, one with an Urban Ministry focus. Our DM...
- Washington, DCWashington, DC
M.A., M.S., Ph.D. specializations: Counseling, School Psychology, Educational Psychology, Educational Administration and Policy, Curriculum and Instructionl and (M.S.) Human Development...
- Nottingham, United KingdomNottingham, United Kingdom
Nottingham Trent University
- Leeds, United KingdomLeeds, United Kingdom
Leeds Metropolitan University
- Oxford, OHOxford, OH
The Miami University College Student Personnel (CSP) M.S. program and the Student Affairs Higher Education (SAHE) Ph.D. program comprise a comprehensive curriculum and a variety of practical experiences to fully prepare graduate students for the Student...
- Oxford, OH
- Los Angeles, CALos Angeles, CA
Loyola Marymount University
The School of Education offers graduate programs in the following areas of study: Bilingual Education, Elementary and Secondary Education, Special Education, Catholic Inclusive Education, Biliteracy, Leadership, and Intercultural Education, Child & Adol...