Doctor of Business Administration Online Programs
Doctor of Business Administration Online Programs
Online DBA programs often arm business leaders with a needed skill set. This is for operating in a tech driven global economy. Students who pursue a DBA degree online may learn how to conduct and apply research. This may be a means to develop strategies and tactics for solving organizational problems.
This program is typically for post grad students and current professionals. It is often for those who want further guidance in business and management. Many students may partake because of career goals they have set. Business executives may turn to online DBA programs. They may also look at PhDs in Management or Business Admin and Doctor in Management (DM).
All are doctorate degrees – each program may come with its own objectives and requirements. Within these programs, students might expect to find focused courses, exams, seminars, and research projects. This all applies to a final thesis or dissertation. Depending on the school and program, enrollment may not need the GMAT or GRE.
What Are Online DBA Programs?
A Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) degree is a practitioner doctorate. Online Doctorate of Business Administration programs often allow busy executives to pursue their online degree. In this program, educators may teach via web based courses. These often work well for working professionals.
Many DBA degree programs may have a design to help continue the development of professionals. These could be senior managers or innovative leaders of the highest level. It may be those who want to build upon master’s level core skills and knowledge. Participants in an online doctoral program could learn how to frame a question. They may learn to research prevailing theories as they relate to an issue. They may apply findings in a practical way to solve a problem. They may also learn to present the problem and solution in a clear and concise fashion.
While enrolled in this school of business many competencies may be taught and expected. These could be entrepreneurship or business management. The business education you already have may be applied as you seek out a focus. Completing the DBA program online means there may be no need to go on campus to complete the program.
Online DBA Degree Courses
Online DBA programs could enable students with professional experience to gain a grasp of the functional business areas. In tandem, a curriculum may help participants build practical skills. This often helps with leading at an executive level. These methods may shape them into responsible leaders. Leaders who are able to make sustainable decisions.
On average, online students may be required to complete from 54 to 60 credit hours. This usually takes three years. These often include core topics, research methods, doctoral writing and dissertation seminars. Get a taste for potential topics of study below, then check out online DBA schools’ course lists.
- Management Theory: This course has a design to focus on how management has evolved. The research may include the study of managerial constructs and concepts. The course may cover how to handle current business problems or business challenges.
- Organizational Behavior: This course is often research intensive. It may provide students with the ability to perform formal inquiries. The course may develop critical thinking and analysis. It may also develop writing and evaluation skills while studying the business environment.
- Ethics and Social Responsibility This course often looks at the methodology of ethical decision making of business professionals. The course may go over social responsibility of organizations. It often covers how to improve the quality of life for individuals and the community.
- Organizational Leadership This course often looks at leadership concepts and how they have evolved. The course may allow students to perform a self assessment. This is to determine their own leadership styles and strengths.
- DBA Accreditation Regionally and nationally accredited schools may have online Doctor of business administration degrees. For instance, ACBSP and AACSB accredited online DBA programs have met standards set by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs or the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. These agencies usually set professional standards that might infuse a university’s course list with relevant content.
Online DBA Programs
Like the Doctor of Business Admin, an online Doctor of Management (DM) degree is a practice focused doctorate. This may be a part-time program. That is based on the current workload. The aim is to ready master’s degree students with the skills to navigate complex situations. This could be done with creativity and strategy. This may occur within organizations. It also may occur in the competitive global marketplace.
Online DM Courses
Apart from executive education, students could be exposed to other things. This may include research, applied projects, and consulting. Together, the course plan could enable those who pursue a Doctor of Management online to apply a holistic mindset. This mindset may help in problem solving. It may improve organizational performance. As a result, leadership courses may play a main role in a syllabus. See below for some sample topics.
- Research Methods: In this course students may study different organizations. This is done to see how they apply the research they have done. This course often looks at many concepts and usually ties into the dissertation.
- Organizational Psychology: This course may look at how an organization may work and methods used to achieve goals. This course may also examine how companies treat employees and customers. This happens by examining philosophies and business practices. This course may cover human resource management.
- Project Leadership and Management: This course often examines different methods of leadership. The course may provide an analysis of different types of leadership. It often covers how to apply the different methods to different situations. These could be applied to global business as well as national. This course may apply to supply chain management and executive leadership.
- Enabling Information Technology: In this course, students may learn how to adapt and work with the ever changing world of tech. Learning how to adapt to the changes and apply them to the business to optimize success. Many information systems may be analyzed.
- Systems Thinking In this course, students may work on how to think as a group and how to apply systems to problem solving. Learn how to work within the parameters outlined by the organization. This may apply to international business.
- Organizational Change This course often demonstrates how companies may need to change and adapt leadership roles. The course may discuss how this occurs and what methods to use to best make things change. This could apply to many fields including non profit and healthcare management. Students might also work on independent projects. These could address things such as consulting problems. Often, the topic for any final project is developed with a faculty supervisor.
Online PhD Programs in Business Administration
Students with a zest for research might pursue a PhD in Business Administration online. An online PhD in management or business is a research-focused doctorate. Those who pursue this path may have a curious mind. They might strive to contribute a new way of thinking or doing to the business community or academia.
PhD in Business Administration Curricula
A course of study in an online PhD in business programs could include the research and scrutiny of business systems. it may also include leadership and financial management. Accounting, economics, strategy, and social responsibility may also be topics. Students might learn how to create management theory. This is a skill that could be useful in their dissertation. To reach this level of research, a course plan might include the following requirements.
- Multivariate Statistics: In this course, students may look at statistics and their applications on different levels. This class may apply to many different major programs.
- Survey of Applied Research Methods: This course aims to provide students insight on using and applying different methods of research. The class may focus on specific examples or provide a broad view of the topic. This course may aid in professional development.
- Academic Writing: This course covers how to write for proposals. It may help assist with the presentation of the dissertation. This course could be applied not only in school but in the working world as well.
- Research Processes: This course often covers the way to research. The course may go over the different ways to get the results and answers.
- Ethics and Leadership: This course often covers how to ensure that the organization is following the rules and regulations. The rules that they are required to follow. This relates to both internal and external customers.
- Strategic Management and Practice: This course aims to teach how to apply management methods to get optimal results. The course may provide tools to aid the students to master the craft and to be effective. The subject of project management may be a topic as well.
Take Research to a New Dimension
A PhD dissertation is a doctoral level thesis. It is the culmination of a PhD candidate’s research. This may be a specific topic and the major requirement of earning the doctorate. With a dissertation, doctoral students may be looking to delve into their field and offer some new insight and input.
Anchor PhD Research with a Concentration
While these main elements could cultivate breadth of knowledge. PhD students may anchor their research with a specific topic. Leadership, Project or Business Management, Accounting, Human Resources, and IT Management are some examples.
Admission Information: DBA-PhD-DM
Admission requirements are often set by individual schools and may vary between programs. Applicants may need to have earned an undergrad and grad degree (E.g. MBA or Masters). There may be prerequisite coursework. This may be in areas such as accounting, economics, and finance. A minimum GPA may be attached to prior academic background.
Personal essay(s), letters of reference, updated CV or resume, transcripts and (virtual) interview with faculty may be on the list of necessary materials. Some online DBA schools may also look for candidates with several years of management experience.
Earning a Doctor of Business Administration Online
Are you a busy career professional? Do you resist a next degree because the traditional campus programs have set schedules? An online Doctorate degree in business administration may require some type of in person sessions. These might be hosted at the university or its corporate partners. These meetings could be thought of as professional obligations. They may be useful to meet other participants and faculty, collaborate or attend workshops. However, classes may be delivered asynchronously – no set log ins.
Or, as with some Doctor of Business Administration Online students might learn via webinars. Webinars might include short lectures, discussions, debates, and student presentations. They may require compulsory participation. In addition, various online learning experiences may be used. These may include discussion boards and videos. These are often mobile friendly. They could suit the business student who is on the go – for work, travel and other duties.
What Is the Difference Between a DBA and PhD?
Both the PhD in Management and Doctor of Business Administration have something to offer those in pursuit of a doctoral degree. They may have other differences. Below are a few guidelines. Make sure to refer to the objectives of individual programs or speak with an advisor to gain the clarity needed to make the perfect decision for you.
Is Previous Work Experience Necessary?
PhD students may strive to pursue a full time career in academia and business research. They may come to a PhD program with strong undergraduate grades and some work experience.
By comparison, DBA students may want to distinguish themselves from others. This could happen by completing a terminal degree. At the same time, they may be drawn to management research. They may have a practical research question in mind. For instance, a specific problem from their work environment, that they could approach. This could be a dissertation and that offers benefits to their companies at the same time.
What Is the Program’s Intention?
PhD students might be motivated by a drive to come up with a new theory, publish and teach from their experience and expertise. They might enjoy experimentation and in depth inquiry. Furthermore, PhD students generally research areas where there are gaps that could be filled through new theory.
DBA students may have invested in their career and may seek the challenge of business research and its applications. These may be in consulting, teaching or leadership. In contrast to PhD students, DBA or DM degree students may start with a practical problem from their workplace. Then, conduct literary reviews, case study analysis, and other research. This is to learn how to apply management science or a specific model to explain it and perhaps improve the situation.
After a DBA Degree, Potential Next Steps
Although DBA programs vary, many are designed to assist students in their ability to communicate clearly. They often allow them to make sustainable and smart decisions at the corporate levels. Graduates may be prepared to pursue a career, transition into something new or have sharper abilities to devote to a current role.
- Executives: Per the BLS, C-suite executives, such as the CEO, CIO, CTO, CFO and CMO, may be responsible for oversight of an organization. They may be the minds behind policies, strategies, and implementation of initiatives to ensure goals are met.
- Consultant: According to O*NET, consultants may be paid to assess a problem, challenge or opportunity. They often provide tactical action plans and initiatives to align business goals and outcomes.
- Management Analyst: Per O*NET, analysts often assess strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities. This occurs to suggest improvements and solutions that could help organizations enhance performance and gain competitive advantage.
- Business and Operations Managers: These professionals often need to understand organizational goals. As per O*NET, they may plan how human and capital resources could be used to influence behavior and achieve results.
- Business Administration Professor: Postsecondary faculty members often plan curriculum, teach and evaluate students to help them expand their skill set and knowledge according to O*NET. This may be in a particular subject matter or discipline within business and management.
Graduate schools with Doctor of Business Administration Online Programs
|State||Employment||Annual Mean Wage|
|Metro Area||Annual Mean Salary||Employment|
|Lansing-East Lansing, MI||$134,230||0|
|Santa Maria-Santa Barbara, CA||$129,130||0|
|Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA||$121,240||410|
Top Business Schools by Graduate 2019
We ranked our top 25 colleges with Business degrees. Our methodologies use data from the NCES based on 2019 graduates from the programs.
|School Name||Acceptance Rate (%)||Number of Graduates||Programs Offered||2019 Financial Aid Information|
|Walden University||100||421||PhD in Management, DBA,||44% of students are awarded grants or scholarships on average of $3,900. 65% of students are awarded federal loans in the average amount of $10,540|
|Northcentral University||90||328||PhD in Human Resource Management, DBA||18% of students are awarded grants or scholarships on average of $3,144. 15% of students are awarded federal loans in the average amount of $6,685|
|University of Phoenix-Arizona||100||110||DBA, Doctor of Management||75% of students are awarded grants or scholarships on average of $5,884. 78% of students are awarded federal loans in the average amount of $7,274|
|Capella University||100||84||DBA, PhD in Business Management||93% of students are awarded grants or scholarships on average of $3,760. 100% of students are awarded federal loans in the average amount of $6,791|
|University of the Cumberlands||73||65||DBA, PhD in Business Management||99% of students are awarded grants or scholarships on average of $19,506. 63% of students are awarded federal loans in the average amount of $7,874|
|Saint John Fisher College||65||45||Executive Leadership||100% of students are awarded grants or scholarships on average of $19,593. 76% of students are awarded federal loans in the average amount of $5,345|
|University of South Florida-Main Campus||44||42||DBA, PhD in Business Administration||89% of students are awarded grants or scholarships on average of $11,016. 29% of students are awarded federal loans in the average amount of $6,383|
|Our Lady of the Lake University||68||40||PhD in Leadership Studies||99% of students are awarded grants or scholarships on average of $21,670. 72% of students are awarded federal loans in the average amount of $5,556|
|Arizona State University-Tempe||86||34||PhD in Accountancy, PhD in Agribusiness, PhD in Economics, PhD in Finance, DBA,||95% of students are awarded grants or scholarships on average of $12,898. 33% of students are awarded federal loans in the average amount of $4,896|
|University of Management and Technology||100||32||DBA||60% of students are awarded grants or scholarships on average of $5,418. 60% of students are awarded federal loans in the average amount of $8,657|
|Rutgers University-Newark||72||29||Ph D in Management||74% of students are awarded grants or scholarships on average of $14,304. 46% of students are awarded federal loans in the average amount of $5,049|
|Liberty University||51||28||DBA||92% of students are awarded grants or scholarships on average of $11,369. 56% of students are awarded federal loans in the average amount of $5,489|
|Wilmington University||100||26||DBA||51% of students are awarded grants or scholarships on average of $4,475. 58% of students are awarded federal loans in the average amount of $4,194|
|The Chicago School of Professional Psychology at Los Angeles||13||24||PhD in Business Psychology||54% of students are awarded grants or scholarships on average of $4,675. 58% of students are awarded federal loans in the average amount of $7,131|
|Ashford University||100||23||PhD in Organizational Development and Leadership||84% of students are awarded grants or scholarships on average of $4,701. 68% of students are awarded federal loans in the average amount of $6,717|
|Gardner-Webb University||67||22||DBA||100% of students are awarded grants or scholarships on average of $23,709. 66% of students are awarded federal loans in the average amount of $7,228|
|Stanford University||4||22||PhD in Economics||56% of students are awarded grants or scholarships on average of $54,808. 7% of students are awarded federal loans in the average amount of $4,885|
|University of Florida||37||21||PhD in Business Administration||88% of students are awarded grants or scholarships on average of $10,814. 17% of students are awarded federal loans in the average amount of $4,697|
|Columbia Southern University||100||17||DBA||92% of students are awarded grants or scholarships on average of $3,552. 60% of students are awarded federal loans in the average amount of $6,007|
|University of Michigan-Ann Arbor||23||17||PhD in Business Administration, PhD in Economics, Phd in Business Reserarch||52% of students are awarded grants or scholarships on average of $19,728. 30% of students are awarded federal loans in the average amount of $5,249|
To find Doctor of Business Administration Online, a DM degree or PhD in Business and Management, check out programs from partner schools. We make it easy to contact DBA online schools through the on page form so go ahead and choose the perfect doctorate degree for you.
GradSchools.com offers 17 Graduate Schools with Doctor of Business Administration and DBAs Programs Online
Grand Canyon University
Liberty University Online
Central State University
Touro University Worldwide
Simon Fraser University
American Global University