Can I get into graduate school with a 2.5 GPA?
Identifying grad schools that accept 2.5 GPA from prospective students may not be as hard as it sounds. After all, not every college or university has a strict cutoff when it comes to minimum GPA. And, some institutions may be willing to give you a chance even if your GPA is not the highest on the block.
We’ve provided a list below of sponsored colleges and universities with graduate programs that may accept students with a 2.5 GPA or lower.
written by Shannon Fandler
List of Graduate Schools that Accept 2.5 GPA
Featured SchoolsThat Accept 2.5 GPA
|Minimum GPA Requirements|
|1. Southern New Hampshire University||2.75 for full acceptance, 2.0 for provisional acceptance|
|2. Strayer University||2.5|
|3. Our Lady of the Lake University||2.5|
|4. Full Sail University||2.7|
|5. Benedictine University||2.0|
|6. Northcentral University||None Listed|
|7. Walden University||2.5|
- Some of the nation’s most affordable tuition rates, from a private, nonprofit, NEASC accredited university
- Qualified students with 2.5 GPA and up may receive up to $20K in grants & scholarships
- Multiple term start dates throughout the year. 24/7 online classroom access
7 Grad Schools That Accept 2.5 GPA (or Don’t List a Requirement)
Keep in mind that these general GPA requirements may be subject to change, and may even vary from program to program at the same grad school. Also, each sponsored school and program will have other admissions requirements besides GPA, so be sure to find out.
Note: All listed GPAs are on a 4.0 scale.
Southern New Hampshire University is a private, nonprofit institution founded in 1932. They serve about 3,000 on-campus students and over 80,000 online students.
SNHU offers on-campus, hybrid, and online graduate programs in areas like education, finance, information technology, and more. They also have an MBA program with many potential concentrations on offer.
- GPA requirements vary by program. However, in general, graduate students must apply with a GPA of 2.75 for full acceptance or a GPA of 2.0 for provisional acceptance. Students accepted provisionally must earn a cumulative GPA of 3.0 in each of their first two terms in order to remain in the graduate program.
Strayer University is an accredited institution with a proud history of 125 years in quality education. Plus, you can save up to 25%. Save thousands on your masters’s with the Strayer Graduation Fund.
Programs include accounting, education, heath service admin, HR, cyber security, information systems, management, MVA and public administration.
- Strayer University ask that students cumulative GPA of at least 2.5.
Our Lady of the Lake University
Our Lady of the Lake University was founded in 1895 and now serves over 3,100 students. They are based in San Antonio and also offer programs in Houston, the Rio Grande Valley, and online.
OLLU is home to masters programs in areas ranging from accounting to social work. They also offer doctoral degree programs in Counseling Psychology (PsyD) and Leadership Studies (PhD).
- 2.50 minimum grade point average, or a 3.0 for the last 60 credits of undergraduate work. However, the MEd and MA Special Education programs require a minimum GPA of 2.75.
Full Sail University
Full Sail University offers degree programs dedicated to entertainment, media, arts, and technology. In addition to their Winter Park, Florida campus, which is well-equipped with production studios and labs, Full Sail offers some programs completely online.
Full Sail is home to a variety of master’s degree programs. Offerings span many creative areas, like film production, game design, journalism, media design, and more.
- Applicants must have earned a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 in their bachelor’s program. Applicants with lower GPAs need to submit a Letter of Intent, resume, and college transcripts to the program director for potential consideration.
Founded in 1887, Benedictine University aspires to be a thought leader in Catholic higher education. As an inclusive academic community, the school is dedicated to teaching and learning to provide a transformative educational experience.
- Specific admissions requirements vary, depending on the program you’re applying to. However, all graduate programs require a completed application and transcripts. Additional requirements may include a one-page goal statement, a letter of reference, or a resume for business programs.
Northcentral University is an accredited online university which offers graduate programs. Northcentral prides itself as considering its website to be its campus – a way for students to achieve their educational aspirations online.
- NCU does not list a minimum GPA requirement for admission to its graduate programs. Among its graduate admissions requirements are transcripts, resume, and others by program.
Walden University is an accredited university that offers more than 85 degree programs with more than 435 specializations and concentrations, including a wide array of master’s and PhD programs. Founded 45 years ago, Walden offers online learning to students in all 50 US states and more than 150 countries around the world.
- Walden requires a 2.5 GPA in Bachelor’s studies for admission into one of its many Master’s programs. Further admissions requirements include completed application, application fee, and an official bachelor’s transcript.
How to Get into Grad School with a 2.5 GPA (Potentially!)
So, you didn’t do as well in your undergraduate program as you wished. Maybe life circumstances got in the way of reaching your full potential in college. And, maybe you’ve matured a lot since your undergrad years, and you’re looking for a second chance.
There are a few strategies that might help you find and apply to graduate schools that accept 2.5 GPA and universities that accept 2.5 GPA. These include:
Finding schools that consider the whole story
As an applicant, you’re more than just your GPA. Perhaps you have an impressive work history, inspiring goals, or a commitment to personal and professional growth. Of course, some grad schools may weed out applicants based on GPA, without looking at the rest of the package. So, pay extra attention to the admissions requirements for schools you’re considering. Ideally, the schools you apply to will give weight to other, stronger aspects of your application. Some grad schools may pay attention to whether your GPA in your major is higher than your cumulative GPA, for instance. And some schools may even permit you to submit an explanation as to why your GPA does not reflect your full potential.
Can communicating with the admissions department help with a low GPA for grad school admission?
If life circumstances contributed to your low undergraduate GPA, you may wish to explain this to the admissions committee at your prospective school. The goal here is not to make excuses, but to make a case for why your 2.5 GPA is not indicative of your true ability.
Wowing admissions with the rest of your application
If your GPA is on the low side but meets your prospective school’s minimum requirements, you’re still not over the finish line. It may be especially important to give your full attention to other best aspects of your application, such as test scores (GRE, GMAT, etc.), admissions essays, your statement of purpose, etc. And, strong letters of recommendation can’t hurt!
Will additional coursework help with grad school admission with a low GPA?
Taking additional top coursework after you’ve earned your bachelor’s degree may be a way to boost your credentials. If you opt to try this route, you’ll probably want to pursue coursework in the same area you wish to study in grad school.
Considering online graduate schools that accept 2.5 GPA
If you’re limiting your choices to schools in your geographic area, you may have fewer potential resources. Opening up your search to include online programs means you can consider colleges and universities in other parts of the country. That might make finding the perfect match just a bit easier.
So, can you get into grad school with a 2.5 GPA? The answer will be different for everyone, but doing some research on prospective programs is a good start.
Explore Potential Grad Schools That Accept 2.5 GPA
Take the plunge, and start researching to find a 2.5 GPA grad school that’s perfect for you! Hint: If you see a school that sounds ideal, request info to learn more. You can also find undergrad colleges that accept low GPA here.
Schools With PHD & Masters Programs
- Take advantage of some of the nation’s most affordable tuition rates, while earning a degree from a private, nonprofit, NEASC accredited university
- Qualified students with 2.5 GPA and up may receive up to $20K in grants & scholarships
- Multiple term start dates throughout the year. 24/7 online classroom access.
Popular Online Programs
Business Administration, Psychology, Information Technology, Human Services…
- Award-winning programs created to help you succeed.
- A quality education doesn’t have to be expensive. Earn an accredited degree for less.
- Programs started monthly – Apply free this week!