Social Work Certificate Online Programs
Some CSWE-accredited schools for social work may offer social work certificate online programs. These web-based programs might be appealing to currently working licensed MSW social workers and recent BSW graduates seeking a learning format that might afford more scheduling flexibility and convenience.
About Social Worker Certificate Online ProgramsSocial workers certificate online programs may enable current practitioners to enhance their skills in leadership, treatment methodologies or other targeted social work areas. These programs may be offered full-time or part-time, and might require about four to eight courses. On average, while program lengths and course credits vary, earning an online social work certificate might take about one year. Prospective applicants generally need either an accredited bachelor’s or master’s degree in social work, though this is dependent on the certificate, and any individual social work school requirements.
Benefits of Social Work Certificate Programs OnlineEach university may have a different social work certificate programs online, and some may entail campus visits or field work. Online courses are sometimes delivered in video format that is viewable on a computer with internet access. It may involve things such as power point presentations, and online readings, quizzes and assignments. Three potential benefits of online social work certificates might include:
- Study on your schedule through audio and video online courses
- Take your time, provided you complete your assignments when due
- Learn from professors that may be drawn from national and international faculty without having to travel (unless specified)
Who Are Online Social Work Certificate Programs For?Social worker certificate online programs may be available as post graduate certificates and post masters certificates. While a bachelors degree in social work may prepare graduates for direct-service positions such as caseworkers and mental health assistants, it is the masters degree in social work that prepares students to work in their chosen specialty area. Online social worker certificate programs may be designed for:
- Students working towards a specialty
- Licensed social workers seeking expertise
- Current MSW graduates seeking administrative occupations
- Professional Continued Education
Did you know? “The National Association of Social Workers (NASW) views continuing education as an essential activity for ensuring quality social work services for clients”[i]
Online Post Graduate Certificate Programs in Social WorkSome online social work post-graduate certificates might be designed for individuals who may have earned a bachelors degree in human services or a field related to social work. Primarily though, a post baccalaureate social work certificate is something a graduate might pursue to fulfill some of the foundation courses of the MSW degree.
What are Potential Eligibility Requirements?Students interested in a post baccalaureate social worker certificate online program may be required to have:
- Earned a Bachelor degree in social work from a graduate program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education
- Have a current and unrestricted license to practice social work
- Show documentation of 2 years of supervised experience in the specialty area
- Show continued education in the specialty area
- Note that program requirements may vary
What are Some Potential Advance Practice Specialty Credentials for BSW Social Workers?Some of the National Social Work Credentialing Center (NASW) credentials that might be available for BSW candidates who have met the requirements of their program might include[v]:
- Advanced Practice Specialty Credentials (military service members, veterans and their families)
- Social Worker in Gerontology
- Certified Hospice and Palliative Care Social Worker
- Certified Children, Youth, and Family Social Worker
- Certified Social Work Case Manager
Online Post MSW Certificate Programs in Social WorkSome online post-masters certificates might be used by current licensed MSW- level social workers or clinical social workers to refine management skills, use the hours for continued education or seek advanced practice specialty credentials. The goal is generally to deepen knowledge base.
What are Potential Eligibility Requirements?Students interested in a post master’s social worker certificate online program may be required to have:
- Earned a Masters degree in social work
- Have a current and unrestricted license to practice social work
- School specific requirements
What are Some Potential Advance Practice Specialty Credentials for MSW Social Workers?Some of the National Social Work Credentialing Center (NASW) credentials that might be available for MSW candidates who have met the requirements of their program might include[vi]:
- Advanced Social Worker (military service members, veterans and their families)
- Clinical Social Worker (military service members, veterans and their families)
- Clinical Social Worker Social Worker in Gerontology
- Certified Advanced Social Work Case Manager
- Certified Advanced Hospice and Palliative Care Social Worker
- Certified Advanced Children, Youth, and Family Social Worker
Find Accredited Online Social Work Certificate ProgramsBefore enrolling in a social worker certificate online program, students should verify that their schools of choice are regionally accredited. In addition to regional accreditation, individuals should look for programmatic accreditation from the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), the main accrediting agency for social work degree programs. CSWE accreditation is evidence of the relevance and academic standards of a school’s social work program.
Find Online MSW Certificates and Post Grad Social Work Certificates Below:Whatever your present academic level, you might consider taking it to the next step with an online social work certificate. Browse sponsored program listings, then start a conversation with prospective schools with our handy on page navigation. Follow prompts for “request info” and you are on your way to learning about enrollment.
[i] .socialworkers.org/practice/standards/cont_professional_ed.asp |[ii] bls.gov/ooh/management/social-and-community-service-managers.htm |[iii] socialworkers.org/pdev/default.asp |[iv] aswb.org/licensees/continuing-education/ |[v] socialworkers.org/credentials/list.asp |[vi] socialworkers.org/credentials/list.asp
Loyola University Chicago
Binghamton University (S.U.N.Y.)
Post University Online
The George Washington University
University of Tennessee