Maryland On Campus Public Health Graduate Certificate Programs
If you are interested in a Public Health Graduate Certificate Program, studying on-campus places you among other like-minded individuals striving towards the same goals; preventing diseases and promoting health in local and global communities through education and initiatives. Whether you are interested in a general curriculum as a segue to a Master of Public Health Degree or are have more focused scholastic goals, a graduate certificate in Public Health warrants top consideration.
Graduate Certificate in Public Health: Program Basics
Often a Public Health Graduate Certificate Program is structured for medical and graduate students, health practitioners, mid-career public health professionals, researchers, and others who want to augment their knowledge and prepare for further graduate study. In some cases, after you have completed your graduate certificate, you are able to transfer the credits to a master’s degree such as the Master of Public Health or another related degree.
Types of Public Health Graduate Certificate Programs
Public Health Graduate Certificate programs vary in length and the number of required credit courses; some are one-year 18 credit programs. In some cases, students are required to take five courses (15 credits) from the five core content areas[i]:
- Environmental Public Health
- Health Policy and Health Management
- Social and Behavioral Sciences
This being said, other programs offer targeted education in one specific field such as:
- Health Education & Communication
- International Health
Why Choose a Campus-Based Public Health Graduate Certificate Program?
Choosing a learning format is personal. Campus study is often referred to a ‘brick and mortar’ or ‘traditional.’ With the influx of top online program options, you may be wondering what to do. Sometimes the amount of choice in ‘campus’ programs versus ‘online’ will help you – you might only find what you are looking for at graduate school because some courses need to be taken in person. You may also find that graduate schools are catering to working students more by offering courses during evenings or weekends or through intensives. Other points to consider as you make the best decision for your circumstances:
- One of the reasons students might benefit from an on-campus Public Health Graduate Certificate Program is that public health is a multidisciplinary field, encompassing public policy, research, statistics, disease prevention and other topics. Studying at graduate school gives you access to all the libraries and resources of many departments. This may give you a sense of a holistic education.
- Whereas online learning requires a degree of autonomy, some students prefer the campus lifestyle for its discipline; showing up to class, interacting with classmates and all the extras that go with building relationships in real-time (networking, brainstorming, study sessions, coffee between lectures).
- Learning from your professors is also live, meaning you get to participate, have that sense of hands-on learning, watching demonstrations or having to learn to pay attention so you don’t miss key phrases in a lecture.
If this sounds exciting to you, you can search for Graduate Schools by location; use the city, state, and country tabs to yield results. Then request info from the school to see if their public health certificate is what you are looking for. You can also use the subject selection headings to choose specific programs with ‘campus’ formats.
When considering a graduate school for your Public Health Certificate, keep in mind that in the United States, the U.S. Department of Education designates the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH) as the accrediting body for schools of public health and programs of public health.[iii]
Take the Next Step
Both public health practitioners and students seeking professional development and continuing education within the field of public health might benefit from a graduate Certificate in Public Health. Why not take the next step and start reviewing sponsored listings to find one that aligns with your interests and ambitions! .